Cannondale 1999 XS800 Older Cyclocross Bike

1999 Cannondale XS800, cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, CODA Headshok Fatty X fork

[Jun 28, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, versatility,responce

None really

built up for travelling to save taking MTB and road bike and for use when working in Amsterdam. Also for fast mixed on /off raod day/overnight trips.brilliant. With lock out and high pressure it rides like a road bike, with headshock activated and lower pressure its sweet on the trails. USE post takes sting out. We think it comes in at sub-22 lbs.
Cost a s*** load as import duty hurts! but worth it. Cos the set up is custom I got 44cm bars on a small frame to give stand over and a decent road position.
Would suit mtber wanting versatility or road rider wanting to get off road sometimes.

1983 rigid steel cyclo cross bike, 2001 rigid alu cyclo cross bike (with fenders for winter/wet weather training)

[Jun 30, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Versatile bike, Cannondale quality & design. Suites my need for a bike that I can commute, tour, go with my kids, or even do a century on. Head Shok a real plus. Suprising good climber despite extra weight. Stable on descents. Looks BAD in black/yellow

Weight, about +2 pounds on my road bike. Campy on selection on stems (expense)

This was a great choice. Had three other bikes that didn't cover things, old Mtn bike etc. Thought of converting the old stuff, but this bike does it all. Havent done the off-road thing yet, but took it on my commute and some road climbs. Other than a little heavy, was quite light to handle in the tight stuff. Was able to maintain good speed. It descends pretty good. I need to get a smaller stem, but once dialed in, will use it for a lot of my weekly rides. Can't wait to get some time on the trails with it. Like the others have said, get it a size smaller than you would a regular road bike. I had to return a 58 for a 56 to get sizing right. Pretty long on the top tube.

Merlin Road bike with Campy

[Dec 01, 1998]
racer

Strength:

Well, I bought a 98 XS800 frameset and built it up with Dura-Ace/Mavic wheels, and a 24sp 105/XT drivetrain. I also put a handlebar on it that's much wider than I would typically use for a road bar. It all makes for a sweet handling package. It's most at home cruising around town and fast dirt roads, but it's a cross bike, so duh. I have, however, taken it on all our usual XC trails and its about as fast with that 1 travel fatty and 45c Smokes as my rigid Klein is...but for different reasons.The geometry is decidedly road biased. I's prefer mtn geometry with a sloping top tube. It would make dismounts easier and I'd appreciate the flex a longer post provides. The wheelbase is also short, so my foot rubs the front wheel on tight turns & switchbacks if I don't prepare ahead of time. So it's an awkward feeling on any real mtn trails. However, that's the best damn 1 of travel I could imagine. You don't feel it moving, but it DOES smooth things out a lot; if you hop on a rigid bike right afterwards, you start to miss it. Wider bars also help in the control dept.I can't justify the retail price even though most other X bikes are overpriced customs, but I picked my frameset up for $600 and had fun building a far superior bike for less $$. I'd definitely recommend this bike to anyone. Use 45c tires for your mtb trails and 35c for racing X courses. Get one size smaller than your typical road size.

[Dec 11, 1998]
racer

Strength:

1998 Cannondale XS800 54cm Cyclocross bike in one word ....ROCKS! For the individual who is an avid mountain biker but is in the market for a dual purpose cross training vehicle go no further. This cross bike was well thought out for those mountain bikers looking for a cross over to a road bike. Although the bikes components are the equal of Deore LX they still perform up to par. I am 6'0 185 LBS. and I rock this bike off road riding in the Northeast area. Over 500 miles and never needed to true the wheels, the OEM wheels (CXP-30) stand up better then expected. The only things I changed prior to leaving the bike shop was the Coda saddle to a WTB SST saddle (much more comfy) and the Coda SPD pedals to the new Time Atac Aliums (would not ride with any other pedal - very forgiving on the knees). Whoever says the Fatty X Shock isn't needed is lying....it definitely cuts the edge on long rides. Stop reading go out and get yourself one, you won't be sorry.

[Dec 12, 1999]
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Does exactly what it is designed to do.

It seems a little heavy, but probably isn't given the front suspension.

I built this bike up on the cheap (sort of)for a few cyclocross events each year. I used a bunch of components that I already had and, of course, the bike sucked. Wrong handlebars, the stem was way too long, bottom bracket was too short, etc. I finally got the bike sorted out, by buying more parts, which is why the bike really wasn't so cheap, and it is great. Getting the correct stem length (obviously critical) makes the bike fit perfectly. (You probably want to order a frame size smaller than your road bike i.e. get a 52cm if you ride a 54cm road frame.) Also, I put on moustache bars that make it extremely easy to operate the brakes/shifter from the hoods (the front chain ring is on a bar end shifter) and gives an excellent position on the drops for high speed off road riding. You can fly on this bike. When I first got the bike, the shock was leaking oil, but it was replaced and works flawlessly. Although it doesn't seem to move much, it really absorbs the shock off road. I used a USE suspension seatpost for a year and it sucked. I couldn't notice it working at all. I just tried the new Cannondale suspension seatpost with the needle bearings in a race and it was great. Not as nice as my Power Post Moab seatpost (which, unfortunately, is too long to use on the cross frame), but extremely plush. If you were going to ride this bike on the road a lot, a suspension seatpost would be required because aluminum bikes a way too stiff to be comfortable on the road.I am now so pleased with the way this bike is set up, I am considering upgrading the lower quality shimano components to ultegra or dura ace in order to reduce the overall weight.

[Jan 17, 2000]
Cross Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Robust construction, HeadShok suspension, stiff frame and fork, versatility.

Stiff frame can rattle your rear end - not a very big deal. Perhaps just a bit heavy, maybe because of the Fatty X fork (which is worth the extra weight - besides, the Ultra X on the 2000 model is significantly lighter).

This is a very versatile bike. It performs well in all sorts of environments, on- and off-road. It does surprisingly well on road rides, despite the extra weight (beefy frame and suspension), and can handle some pretty rugged MTB trails.

The HeadShok Fatty X works well and takes the edge off bumps on trails. I like its on-the-fly lockout capability and the easy preload adjustment. It was one of the reasons I chose this bike, along with my satisfaction with Cannondale's designs and quality (I own two other Cannondale bikes: an F700 MTB hardtail with a HeadShok Fatty D, and an R1000 road bike).

The XS800's versatility enables me to mix road- and mountain-style rides together and get good performance everywhere. My favorite road rides happen to take me near some excellent mountain-biking trails. This bike is sufficiently versatile to allow me to start on a road ride, enjoy decent road performance, and veer off on an MTB trail if I feel like it as I ride by the trailhead.

Besides cyclocross racers, I think this bike is a great choice for mountain bikers looking for a cross-training vehicle, for a transition to road cycling, or for a versatile rig that performs well almost anywhere.

I am primarily a mountain biker, and this is my first real cyclocross bike. It took me a little while to learn to trust it (the 700c wheels and skinny tires, in particular) on rugged MTB trails. I took it on a number of rough trails, and I'm happy to report that it performed flawlessly. You do have to be a little more careful than on a mountain bike in picking your lines, of course. I see that as a fun, useful training opportunity (if you maintain good control with this bike, you'll do even better once you get back on the beefy MTB with the wide knobbies).

Kudos to Harry and Jason at Cycle City in Alameda, CA. I appreciate their competent help and their patience. They allowed me to test-ride the bike in a variety of configurations to fine-tune the fit. That was especially important for me - my injured lower back is finicky. They also gave me a good deal on a 1999 bike, for which I paid $1199.

[Apr 29, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cannondale quality, Headshok suspension

Headshok suspension adds significant weight to the bike

The bike is a great ride.

It should be high on your shopping list if you are a rider who likes to take on a variety of riding conditions but cannot afford to have a bike for each specific genre. The Headshok suspension with the on-the-fly lock out is a worthwhile extra despite the extra weight.

The bike gets plenty of work on the dirt trails near my home and I've taken it touring through the US and Europe. The bike performs well in the dirt and is just as at home on the road carrying a full pannier load.

[Aug 24, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Durable & reliable bike that can be used to cross train , road race, or cyclocross

slightly heavy by today's standards

Reviewed the product aprox. 2 years ago, and 2 years later with over 2,500 miles I know I made a wise decision. I use this bike to Cross train and race Cross in the off season when I'm not XC Mountainbike racing. The bike is extremely durable and upgradable, always try to convince my fellow mountainbike buddies...you can take a cross bike on the road but can't do visa versa, this alone makes it a great investment when your mountainbike is inoperable or just want a mix of both. However, one thing Cannondale needs to do is when equip OEM handlebars on this bike (54mm frame) is to use 44 mm bars rather then 40 mm. I know it's preference according to size, but remember a 54 mm usually has a 5'10" rider or better.

Kona, Redline, Independent Fabrications

[Mar 24, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cannondale quality. Versatility and speed. Durability and confort.

None that I have found.

It's a great bike. I have different sets of tires and put 700/23 and you'll have a fast confortable ride. Put the regular tires and you'll be able to go off road. It's confortable, fast, durable. Besides minor adjustments I haven't done anything to this bike and I put serious miles on it. If change it for a better bike it will have to be another cannondale. Even the shock it's durable and needs very little maintenance. I've done from fast 20 mile rides, to week long tours, to commuting and I could not expect more versatility from this bike.

none for an extended period of time.

[Feb 14, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Headshok is a REAL plus. Lock it out on the road or smooth sprints, let 'er fly when things chop up.

The Headshok adds some heft, but worth it, plus it makes the retro-cross guys grimace.

It's been a great bike. The headshok gives me the flexibility to run it with my MTB buddies and hear them whine about the advantages of less weight/rolling resistance and not get totally killed on the rough decents (it makes it better, but it's still not a Raven).

First cross bike.