Kona 2000 Jake the Snake Older Cyclocross Bike

cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, Kona Project 2 fork

[Jun 29, 2020]
Sandor_B

OVERALL
Strength:

I have it since 2004. It's my commuter, racer & training-bike. Love it! Got thru a couple accidents with it - solid frame. I replaced only the fork after it was bent in an accident.

The front-derailleur is for 3, needs some getting use to it when using 2-chain rings.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2000
[Aug 08, 2002]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame and fork are awesome. 105 works flawlessly. Avid brakes a more than adequate.

Stock crank, SDG seat, bars and stem. A suspension seatpost is probably in the future.

I originally purchased this bike to ride on in the winter (when its sloppy and salty.) It still has the Axial Pro Winter tires on it, but I'm still riding it in August. It fits me better than any road bike ever has. I have put off buying a road bike and ride this instead, on road and off. The gearing is lower than a typical road bike, but I have never ran out of gears on the road. Off road, the gearing makes you run the big hills, but thats what cross racing is all about. I have no trouble keeping up with my roadie buddies and I struggle a little, but I can even ride with my fat tire friends as well.

[Mar 28, 2002]
adinar

OVERALL
Strength:

Great components for the price, flashy looking, versatile on different types of terrain.

Only 2 chainrings - makes serious climbs a bit tougher; Nothing else worth mentioning.

I got a great deal on this as it was a "previously barely ridden" bike. Was looking for a road bike to complement my mountain bike, but after riding this for 6 months, I''ve barely touched my mountain bike. Can ride this everywhere I usually ride (road, paved trails, dirt/gravel trails). It''s light, fast, and I love the way it looks. I''ve definitely enjoyed riding a lot more with my Jake than ever before. For someone who doesn''t race, it doesn''t bother me that it''s not a full road bike. It still feels like it to me and I''m comfortable on it which is what matters. Love the look I get from mtn bikers when I blow by them on dirt/gravel sections on what looks like a road bike. Still haven''t switched over completely to road tires but plan to sometime this year. Value rating of 5 b/c I paid 1/2 price for an almost completely brand-new bike. If you do a mix of road and trail riding, you won''t be disappointed with this bike. However, I noticed that some of the newer models have lesser components (Sora instead of 105s) so be warned.

[Mar 27, 2002]
stvanderzanden

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling. Frame. Wheels.

Kept bashing my left knee against the stem bolts on steep climbs out of the saddle. Bars were too narrow. Both fixed for less then 25 bucks

This bike is my all around beast. Commute, Trail, Road. This bike is all you need. Feels stable at any speed, any terrain.

GT ZR5000(road)custom build GT Avalanche(Mt.) Custom build

[Feb 24, 2002]
kent johnson

OVERALL
Strength:

105 group works great light/stiff great value glowing graphics

the fork is club-like, unbreakable but lacks finess saddle is good for sliding on and off of but not that comfortable (the other reviewer is right, bikes should come w/out pedals or saddles)

i was going to buy a klein mtb but before i bought it i borrowed a jts for the weekend. it was amazing, it could go over log piles, FLY down single-track, and didn''t need a granny gear to rocket up hills. on decents my suggestion is to just keep the bike upright and let it decide where to go. before i made my final decision, i compared it to the other ''cross bikes available (from the shop i worked at). trek xo-1: components too low end. bianchi axis: real nice but too much money and none in stock. litespeed: ya, right. out of the jts''s in stock, some had mich. sprints others mud, diacoms or avid brakes, silver or black seat posts w/either single bolt or two bolt, different front skewers, and two types of saddles. my set-up at time of purchase: 55cm (slight toe overlap, nice and short tt (in retrospect, wider bars would have been better)), mich. muds (they seem to corner better because of their rounder profile, the sprint''s shoulders make the tire feel weird when cornering), avid brakes, two bolt seat post (silver), also, xt cass & xt rear der, 515''s and orange tape. the bike has held up great through year round riding in all conditions in vermont. the jts is a bit on the harsh side and i plan to put a carbon fork and seatpost on it when funds are available. for cx racing it is amazingly quick and felt very stable. i even used it in a mtb race (on a fairly non-technical course) and my time improved over my mtb. for winter commuting (and trail riding) i use nokian studded tires and fenders and lights (of course). i strongly suggest this bike or cross bikes in general, they are a blast!

i have ridden many bikes, very few are similar to jts

[Feb 04, 2002]
Spacer

OVERALL
Strength:

Nearly everything. I have three sets of tires that drastically transform Jake: 38c kevlar Continental commuters, 23c Axial Pros, and the original green knobblies. With the Axials I keep up with the better riders in my club, with their pure road machines. WhooooooIEEEE!

The SDG seat had to go.... I was way too numb. Once that changed I could tour all day. Also, within 3 months I had broken 2 spokes (massive leg strength? hehe) and had the rear wheel relaced with good Wheelsmith spokes, though the hub and rim seem stout enough. front brake was noisy, but I''ve learned to handle that.

This bike was an impulse buy, and even then I put it on layaway. Alas, after hopping back on my old Trek I had to scrape up the rest and pick up Jake. I''m wondering whether my landlord will charge me for having a roommate or a pet with Jake inside....

Trek hybrid

[Nov 04, 2001]
T Money

OVERALL
Strength:

105 components, frame/fork, looks, price. Buy this bike!

Short top tube (longer stem fixed..) Rim liners, 12-25 stock gears in the back. Recreational riders might (as I did) need a bail out gear...

Picked my 2000 Jake the Snake up at a closeout price, couldn''t wait to get it on the trails. Unfortunately, standard stock set-up needed to be tweaked a little. After multiple trips back to the shop (resulting in a longer stem, 12-27 instead of 12-25 on the back, and new rim liners on both wheels)I was ready to go. This bike is a dream! I am extremely pleased with the 105 components, rims, frame and tires. Fit on this bike was a bit tough, try and customize before you buy!! I''m finding that the 12-27 on the back eliminates the need for a triple. Aside from the two flat tires I got just riding the bike home (defective rim liners?) I love this machine. Looks, function and price. My Klein quantum will stay in the garage for some time I''m afraid...

Cannondale XR800

[Jul 02, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

great base package ... 105sti/mavic + a killer strong al. frame/fork ... replacable r derl hanger ... kicks ass on climbs

get knobby tires and a smaller gear in back - a must for any off road ... the stock "green" tires are nice on hardpacked but u'll find yourself sliding out on any loose or wet stuff - i keep running out of gears on the long loose climbs - if i get into racing cross i'd upgrade seat/post/stem for starters - all little upgraes

this bike gets the most use of the bunch ... my mtb bike hasn't been out of the shed since i got this .. its re-invented off road for me ... i take this bike everywhere i travel ... up north cottage or camping, no problem, ... gravel or fire roads no problem, single track with the boys ... i lose a bit on the downs but kill them on the ups ... commutes to work are strong and turn into "road rides" ... with work and family i had a hell of a time getting out for rides ... now anytime anyplace - a road or offroad ride is there for me/u
ps. i've pounded and jumped this thing and my 200lbs hasn't touched it
pss. the looks u get while blasting down tough single track are worth the $$$
psss. i may use this on a 24hour team mtb event hmmm ...
NOTE: this is not MY choice for the road nor the off road but it still gets more hours than my mtn or my 2 road bikes ... a work horse -5 star value!

[Jun 18, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

see bottom line .

kinda flashy looking

i have never owned a road bike before. i know that the snake is not a full on road bike but it is far from a BMX or mountain bike. i have had this bike now for 2 days and am feeling good about the transition. previous to this i owned mostly mountain bikes (gt and trek) with semi-slicks for commuting, plus luggage. the first thing i noticed is the change in riding position because of the bars, the second is the weight. i have not put my luggage on this bike so it feels extra light and fast to me. it took a bit to get used to the shifters too but i think i got the hang of it. over all i am glowing with happiness. more in a few months....

[Apr 04, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

The gearing (for my sorry butt)
The wheelset

Saddle (for my sorry butt)

This is a great bike. I've been an avid Mt. Biker for years and swore you'd never see me on a road bike. Well here I am on Roadbikereview reviewing an awesome bike. I like how it is set up with a little more of an upright position than most road bikes. The gearing is low so I can make it up those steep climbs, which is nice. The frame is very stiff and responds well in fast tight cornering. Great components round out an overall sweet machine (105/LX mix). This would be a great bike for any Mt. Biker looking to do some road rides or tough urban commuting.
I haven't taken it on my local singletrack but am looking forward to it.
It may be a while before I stradle my Mt. Bike again.
Stop reading reviews and go buy one NOW!!

Trek road bike