LeMond Bicycles Poprad Older Cyclocross Bike

Named after the city where Matt Kelly rode to a World Championship gold medal, this cyclocross model starts with a premium frameset. Reynolds 853 Designer Select (new for 2001!) double butted mainframe mates with Reynolds 525 stays. The straight blade cromoly cross fork stays resilient over the nastiest courses. Ultegra bar-con shifters let you keep your hands in place while you choose one of the 8 speeds. Dia-Compe 287 brake levers pull the Avid Shorty 4 cantilevers when you want to slow down. Shimano M515 clipless pedals. Bontrager Race Cylcross handlebar with Comp AH stem. Cane Creek headset. White with green. Sizes: 49 - 59 cm, every two centimeters.

[Jun 28, 2020]
wizzkinder

OVERALL
Strength:

I am the original owner. This bike is certainly well built. Bought new in NYC just before 9/11/2001. Little known fact: Cyclo-cross bikes are the ultimate urban bicycle; basically a heavier, more durable road bike. Yes, it's heavier than a pure road bike, but superbly setup for city traffic speed changes, green light acceleration, potholes, train tracks, curbs, and off pavement gravel or grass excursions. On long distance trips, the Poprad has perfect all day geometry for me. For good handling and ride softness steel is the deal. I had alternate upper handle bar brake levers installed for all the time when not in the drop position. Entry level Sora/ Ultegra group held up all these years, too.

Bar end shifters are just plain annoying (but never ever broke).

Price Paid:
2001
[Dec 15, 2011]
Jonathan

OVERALL
Strength:

-Steady in the corners
-Forgiving in the bumps
-Burly enough to inspire long lasting confidence

-Not light by any means
-A little flexy when powering up a hill
-Original canti brakes caused pretty bad front fork shutter

I bought this bike 10 years ago when I was in college and I am still using it to rip up trails. I have the original Reynold 853 frame and it still rides to my complete satifaction. Before this I had a $2k+ Cannondale mountain bike and the ride feel was crap in comparison to the 700c ride of a steel cross bike. I hope it lasts me another 10 years!

[Dec 14, 2007]
nadimk

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame, traditional geometry, nice styling, disc brakes have good consistent stopping, nice drivetrain

Baaaaad fork; plan to upgrade if you get disc brakes, but with cantis you might not need to. Cheap stock saddle. Would benefit from more flexible gearing.

I never do reviews, but this is for the 2008 Lemond Poprad disc. The Poprad had everything I needed for my riding style. For the money, you can get much better used and in aluminum. LBS installed cross top levers, a short reach handlebar, and fenders for me. This is my first disc brake bike, and I love disc brakes. BUT, Lemond are you listening, the stock fork is just not cut out for the job! It is way too flexible and results in incredible flex, vibration, and brake shudder. It rides well, but a stouter carbon fork is badly needed. Disc brakes are the only thing for me though, because I ride in all weather conditions. For me, the geometry is great, but it is traditional and handles like a road bike. The drivetrain is reasonable, but the bike should be geared for more top end flexibility. The stock saddle is poop. Otherwise, great bike, and I love riding it.

[Feb 06, 2007]
ltbob

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice looking frame.

Entry level components. 1" steer tube limits upgrades.

As a commuter bike, it served me well enough with the cross tires allowing me to bike in rain and even occasionally snow. The Sora rear derailleur which came with the bike fell apart sooner than expected, which highlights the weakness of the stock bike. Compared to the Redline Conquest (which my wife bought as the LBS did not have the right frame size for me), it cost more and did not perform better - heavier bike, weaker braking, and gearing more road-specific than CX-specific. The expectation is that one would upgrade the bike. But then the head tube is 1", while most of the cyclocross fork upgrades have 1 1/8" steer tubes. Also, 853 tubing is more prone to rust than cro-mo steel, which was an unpleasant surprise, which makes me question its long term durability in wet conditions and made me reluctant to ride the bike when it was raining. In hindsight, would have gladly traded for better components instead of the questionably-better frame.

Redline Conquest

[Nov 14, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

it's beautiful...great frame...tasteful colour scheme...bontrager wheels seems strong...fender eyelets on the frame are well designed...the frame wasn't made by Asian robot child slave labour (probably 90% of the rest of the bike was though)...most of the bontrager parts seem to be more than solid and not too hard on the eyes either...rides better in a snow storm than it does on a sunny day...

bike hard to get in Canada...no pedals...arrived with incorrect seatpost...Crappy Bontrager saddle...alloy fork is harsh and sort of ugly next to the beautiful frame (bontrager should make a 700c version of the switchblade fork for this bike...it would be a thing of beauty)...

Man...This bike was hard to get up in Canada...For awhile there it looked like they weren't even bringing Lemonds up here for '05...I'm told that it's one of only a couple poprads that were brought up to Canada this year...It's a real classic ride...The flat top tube is nice...The frame is beautifully made...skinniest seatstays I've seen in years...the alloy fork is a bit harsh but adding a second layer of cork tape on the bars seems to fix that problem...my bike came with a no name carbon seatpost instead of the bontrager one that it was supposed to have...46t big ring is a bit on the small side...the bontrager select wheels seem like they will spin forever...The stock bontrager saddle was a piece of junk...it started falling apart while I was on the trainer in the shop getting the bike fitted to me...the cane creek bartop brake levers are sort of cheaply made...they have a fair amount of play and the levers look as though they've been stamped out...Not too comfy on the hands but I guess they're really just meant to supplement the STI levers so this is forgivable...everything else is perfect...It's beautiful...A great combination of the best of the oldschool with the best of contemporary bike design

concorde and specialized cross bikes...'94 Rocky Mountain Metro built up cross style w. drop bars etc.

[Jul 12, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame feels fantastic, and the bike responds very nicely to acceleration. Not too jarring over singletrack, but nice even on the pavement.

None yet, except perhaps weight- handles nicely on singletrack, efficient enough on the roads. Not the lightest bike, though.

57 cm frame fits nicely (I'm 6'0, 175lbs). Steel ride is sweet, and I've been a fan of steel ever since I got my '97 Bontrager Privateer. I'm new to cross bikes, but I live in Colorado where pavement is rare and dirt roads and plentiful. A cross bike is a nice alternative to my XC mountain bike. I found this Lemond a few weeks ago at a local bike shop, still new even though it's a mix of the last few years' components. The price was right, and the ride was DEFINITELY right.

Bianchi Axis

[May 14, 2003]
Diet

OVERALL
Strength:

- Great steel frame. Though weld quality is not as consistent as on many Italian steel frames (Check a Columbus frame for reference) you get a great frame for the money. - Versatility. A true do-it-all, go-anywhere bike. Comfortable on the long haul, not disturbed by bumpy roads or bad weather.

- Paint job. Cool design, but soft coat. - Brakes: I've never really become friends with the Avid Shorties. The have a tendency to squeal, and braking is rather inconsistent.Also the little metal ring that holds the adjuster screw broke on two brake arms. I'm currently looking for alternatives.

This is an update to a review from 2001. I still own the Lemond Poprad (the pretty green-white one which still had bar end shifters) and have been riding it over 10.000 kms, mainly commuting to work. I still like it and it is a perfect commuter bike and really nice for not-so-perfect roads and as a trainer for daily use. A little summary after three years: - Finally replaced the Sora components with a Campa Centaur. The Sora worked OK, but all my other bikes are Campa and I don't have tools for Shimano. Also I don't think the bar end shifters are very safe. Every shift creates a little wobble in the handlebar which is especially disturbing when going downhill fast or riding in a pack of riders or a wind line. - Conti Twisters are great tires for this kind of bike - The paint quality has proven to be not very durable. Paint scratched easily and the whole coat seems to be more on the soft side. I really like the green-white colour scheme and think it was the nicest one on the Poprad so far.

Pinarello Paris

[Apr 19, 2003]
smokey422

OVERALL
Strength:

versatility, steel frame, lemond geometry (i'm 6'3", 225#), shimano bar-cons (my preference over STI), durability, ride quality, handling.

stock seat (a hemorrhoid waiting to happen). stock gearing (why do the manufacturers continue to give us 130 BCD tour de france gearing?).

this is an update of my earlier review. i also wanted to correct a mistake by giving this bike a "2" overall, when it should have been a "5". total repairs for 2 years have been one broken spoke, caused by a negligent owner that didn't check them soon enough. i've made quite a few mods to suit my fitness level and riding style. cyclocross bikes are very versatile; for a lot of riders they make more sense than road bikes, IMHO. most of the miles on this bike have been road miles, with a liberal sprinkling of gravel roads, light trails, and rail-trails. i loved it when it was new, and still love it now.

first road bike.

[Apr 18, 2003]
MEisen2000

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame bargain price handles neutral Just goes Eyelets! American made. A nice bonus

gearing most of the drivetrain parts Saddle Stock wheelset Brakes scream

I bought a used Poprad recently as a daily commuter/fun/trails/cyclecross bike. The bike is a good mix of value and performance for any of the above uses. It shines as a daily commuter, able to leap curbs, eat potholes and dart between the livery cabs like a nervous wildcat. The high bottom bracket and Lemond's signature stretched out cockpit are an unusual combination that works. It feels like you are able to sit back and just push this bike up the most punishing hills. For a bike that is not especially light (22 pounds with upgrades), it climbs nearly as well as my 16 pound racer. Chalk it up to the Reynolds steel tubing in part. It really gives the bike its feeling of being "sprung". The original Sora drivetrain was as mediocre as can be expected. Fifteen years ago it would have been top notch stuff. I swapped it out for a partial '02 105 gruppo I had around. With the new metal, the poprad emerged as a fantastic bike. Shimano's 105 has always been positioned as the best gruppo for the money. Since it graced my first schwinn racer back in '88, why not have it on my bike again? Now the poprad, relieved of about a pound, really moves well. What else? I like the addition of eyelets on anything except an all out racer. The brakes are one of the few drawbacks. Maybe its me but I have had to adjust them a half a dozen times to try and eliminate the screaming pads. Maybe a pad swap would do the trick here? The only other criticism is the finish. For some reason, it strikes me as a little cheap and delicate looking. I will have to wait and see if it holds up before I judge but I would guess that this thing is not going to age well. I would have put a little more effort into the finish and charged 75.00 more for it. Last comment, I noticed in other rewiews too, is that gearing. What cyclecross racer would use a 42x25 as a low? How about a set of real cross rings? I haven't even crossed it yet and I pine for smaller rings. To be fair, most inexpensive cross bikes come stock with big chainwheels. It would be a great treat to unwrap a low-mid end cross bike that could cross out of the box. Cyclecross companies are you listening?

Redline Conquest Trek XO-1

[Oct 30, 2002]
blownpupil

OVERALL
Strength:

Price is very good for 853 frame and decent/ functional parts. Bike is indestructable

generic shimano sora parts. heavy wheels. This is what I would expect however, and I have been pretty pleased w/ bike for 2 seasons

good solid entry-level bike. Use mainly for training, group rides. I have never felt the bike held me back or "embarrassed me" when riding with guys whose bikes cost 3 or 4 times as much. A serious rider will soon outgrow the bike.