Litespeed 1999 Appalachian Older Cyclocross Bike

1999 Litespeed Appalachian, cyclocross, Shimano 105 components, Kinesis Cross custom fork

[Jun 26, 2019]
derekhski

OVERALL
Strength:

I recently acquired a 1998 Appalachian (June 2019). Yup 21 year old bike. Only ridden if some 30 miles so far. Its a beautiful crafted bike. So far I'm super happy. I had seen notes on toe overlap, soft when standing up to sprint, I have not had any issue's like this. Its a 53cm, I'm at about 157 pounds (71.5Kg) for me, I do not notice any deflection when standing up and pumping on it, I have no toe overlap issues with the front wheel. The ride is plush, in that the titanium and Aluminum front fork seam to absorb a lot of road vibrations. I'm running 23C tires, and its got a Full Ultegra 9sp with a triple up front. I will change it to a small double for Cross season, and going to fit it with some 38C as a gravel trekker... Will follow up with more in the future, after a season of riding.

Con's, Right now as set up, the stems to long for my body. That's a standard fit equation... With this era of bike, finding a 1" threadless stem in 90MM is an issue, but again, that comes with the territory of buying an older bike.

Price Paid:
1998
[Nov 07, 1998]
cross-country rider

Strength:

This bike is a lifer! This frame will do anything: casual road-racing, cyclo-cross, even touring (has rack bosses). Great feel, plush enough on rough surfaces to prevent bone-jarring but stiff enough to still feel very precise. I expect to be riding this bike for the next 10 years.

[Jul 16, 1999]
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, great handling

Customer Service

Ordered the Appy on 08MR99, received 20MY99, much longer than the promised 4-5 weeks. Several problems 1) Dealer (Missing Link, London, ON) forgot to order the saddle, 2) missing lower headset seal, 3) missing aheadset stem spacers - I had requested 3 of spacers, 4) no front or rear brake cable adjusters, 5) cantilever mounts on custom steel fork were too low - brake pads would not contact rim, 6) shipping damage - 2 bent spokes and broken XT cantilever bushing cover, 7) wrong width bars sent, 8) wrong tires sent. By 27MY99, the saddle, correct bars and tires had arrived and I built up the bike (my request). However, did not receive 3 of spacers, front & rear brake adjusters, spokes, seal or bushing cover. Bought the spacers, adjusters and spokes from a better equipped dealer. Litespeed still promising to replace the fork in 2-3 weeks - I had to grind the cantilever slots to get the pads to the rims. Love the bike, just not impressed with the dealer or Litespeed customer service. Litespeed did not think about making the brakes adjustable. Litespeed suggested contacting Cane Creek for the headset seal, that's bogus - if I bought a car or motorcycle that was missing a widget, the manufacturer would not tell me to contact the widget manufacturer. One tip when buying any cyclocross bike - pay attention to crotch clearance. The dealer tried to sell me a larger frame saying that the top tube length was important, but I bought a smaller frame and longer stem - works fine - I like long stems. Will update if I ever get satisfaction.

[May 14, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

super light, fairly plush ride

not stiff enough!

I can't be too critical, because I got a deal on this bike. But, in comparison with my road bike, the litespeed is just not stiff enough in the bottom bracket. And yes, that's with road tires on the litespeed. also, i hate shimano stuff, but that can't be fixed really for a cross bike. Other than that, this bike is good. Soft ride, okay handling, super light for portages. I just expected lightning acceleration, and don't get it. not a major problem while in the woods, but not so good when you want to dust off cars on the way to work! Not sure if it's really worth the big bucks for titanium at this point.

[May 21, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight, geometry, handling, ride quality, versatility

Front cantilever brake rigging.

Excellent all around bike. I use it for commuting to work, long rides in the mountains and occasional off road rides. Its geometry makes it suitable for agressive riding as well as the casual family ride with a bike trailer attached. Buy this bike if you are an ex racer who now has a family and want a machine that you can enjoy to ride with the wife and kids as well as with the guys. It will definitely answer the beckoning call for performance you are used to in your true road racing machine.

N/A