Surly 2001 Cross-Check Older Cyclocross Bike

• Tubing: 100% Surly 4130 Cro-moly steel. Double-butted main triangle. TIG welded.
  • Rear Dropouts: Long horizontal dropouts with adjusters feature single-speed compatibility, wheelbase adjustability and our exclusive Gnot-riteâ„¢ 132.5mm spacing to easily fit 130mm road or 135mm MTB hubs.
  • Tire Clearance: Proprietary FFFâ„¢ (Fatties Fit Fine) chainstays and our custom fork give room for tires up to 700x45c with mud and fender clearance left over.
  • Chainring Clearance: Though we haven't yet tried a '56', we manipulated the chainstays heavily so you can fit whatever size rings you want.
  • Weight w/ fork (56cm): 6.59 lbs

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 27, 2004]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Ride, looks, quality, you name it.

The weight of the fork is to high. Consider replace it if you are to race.

Real Steel Feeling! Retro looks and superb handling.

[Jul 26, 2004]
    jh_on_the_cape

OVERALL
    Strength:

Nice geo. Tons of features. Cheap!

heavy.

Cheap and good. not too heavy. way better than I thought it would be. I thought I would get this to tide me over until I saved up for a fancier frame. I just don't see the need anymore, and I am a total bike snob. Yes, an IF or Seven might ride a little nicer, but at what cost??? an extra $1000! A great value frame loaded with features like the headtube extension that make this a great ride. Save your money and set it up with nice parts. The frame is a pound or so heavier, but I dropped a pound off the bike for way cheaper than $1k by using some carbon parts and taking a dump.

Bianchi cross project.

[Oct 15, 2003]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price and versatility. You won't break the bank, and you end up with a bike that will handle almost any type of ride.

Weight, but at this price point, who cares.

This is the perfect bike for its intended purpose: a jack-of-all-trades, no-nonsense ride with a sense of style. I bought it to be a rainy day/winter/occasional commuter bike so I can save my nice bike for pretty days, races, and group rides. The Surly is built up with a mix of leftover parts from my garage, so the price was right. The ride is nice and smooth, it handles well, and its comfortable.

No other cross bikes. Litespeed mountain bike, Seven road bike.

[Aug 14, 2003]
    shane

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price. Laid back geometry. Handles great in technical terrain, take it anywhere you'd take a mountain bike.

It's really quite heavy, for a low-end cross bike it's not bad, but when you start getting into the larger sizes like mine, which is a 56cm, it's a tank.

Not a bad bike. It's got an attitude, whic is nice. The feel of steel is great, especially if you race west coast cross. Replaced an aluminum fram and fork which really beats you up on single-track or rough roads. Can't beat the price.

Redline Conquest XL

[Jun 25, 2003]
    KestrelDave

OVERALL
    Strength:

Great value. Bomb proof.

Spokes in the rear wheel were constantly loosening. Applied blue Loc Tite and seems to have solved the problem.

Surly executed the perfect all around bike. I used the bike for commuting, and long, fun (non-leisure) rides. Comfortable ride. The geometry/handling is laid back. Bike seems bomb proof. The eyelets for racks and fenders are great. Bike handles well even when load with groceries or clothes for work. Paid $850 (including shipping) on eBay--bike had at most 200 miles on it. Price came to $1100 after I swapped a few parts, purchased a set of slicks, light and rack. Bike is kinda heavy. After riding the Surly, I'm reminded of how wonderful my Kestrel 200 EMS is. But that is not to say that the Surly is a bad ride--it's a great ride for what it is.

[Jun 07, 2003]
    Mtn Mike

OVERALL
    Strength:

very comfortable, yet handles well on rough roads. Strong frame. Conservative black paint job looks good.

A little stout, but hey, so am I. The Surly and I seem to keep up just fine on roads rides.

This review is for the Cross Check 2003 frame. I bought this frame new for use as a commuter and occasional road rider. I didn't buy the "complete bike" kit because I wanted upgraded parts, and hense paid a little more. I have two sets of wheels; one for road riding, and one for off road and commuting.

Demo'd other Cross bikes Own a few mountain bikes

[May 31, 2003]
    Chris

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap, versatile, setup with anything, stiff, still a nice ride.

A little heavy for all out road racing, but as light as many road bikes for this same price.

Awesome bike. A great bike for a kid (like me). Fairly light for a cross bike, stiff, awesome deal, great first road bike/ cross/ beater bike.

no other cross bikes.

[Apr 16, 2003]
    Patrick Hartmann

OVERALL
    Strength:

Price, steel, versatility, all-purpose geometry, durable.

Weight, weld craftsmanship(not bad for price, though)

Bought the Surly frame for $375 and built it up with all new parts, including: Ultegra, FSA crank and BB, Avid Shrty 6, Mavic Cosmos wheels and hubs, and Ritchey post bars and headset. Kenda quick tires make it a fast but forgiving commuter and I have no problem in gravel, grass, or single track. I bought this bike because I wanted the old-school feel and reliability of steel, but didn't want to shell out $800 to $1,000 for the frame alone. The welds on the surly aren't as pretty as higher end steel frames, but they aren't obtrusive, and for under $400 what the heck! The Surly comes with a lot of nice touches that make it ideal for a commuter/cyclocross bike such as rack and fender eyelets, rear spacing that accepts road or mountain hubs with mountain tires. Also, the rear dropouts that can handle single speed, but I doubt I'll be using that. The geometry, in my opinion, offers a nice balance of speed for the road and control for off-road. At 23.5 lbs. its not a feather-weight, but its not a tank either. Lighter wheels and a carbon fork would probably get it close to 20 lbs.(not bad for a cyclocross), but that would have put the price out of my range. I'll probably do the carbon fork for kicks in the near future, and wheels in the distant future as I plan on having this bike as my "utility" bike for a long time.

Paramount Mtn., Waterford Mtn., Trek w.Ishawata Rd., Specialized Cross.

[Mar 15, 2003]
    oclvvw

OVERALL
    Strength:

Cheap price but high quality. Stable handing, tire clearance for 45c + tires. do everything bike.

None when you look at the price, maybe weight but for this price you cant complain

I work at a bike shop so getting a Surly was an easy and inexspensive choice. I built it up with mostly Ultegra and XTR canti brakes and a Velocity spartucus wheelset. This bike is wonderfull. I use it for commuting and singletracking, and also spring time road rides so I dont get my nice bike all dirty and muddy. This thing has no faults, it rides like a dream handles well off road and is a super strong frameset. i would recommend to anyone looking for an inexspensive bike do do everything. You cant go wrong with a Surly

First cyclocross bike

[Feb 27, 2003]
    Stampertje

OVERALL
    Strength:

Very stable off-road. Carves turns like a dream. Versatility: tire clearance, fender eyelets. Green. Price (500 EUR frame only, including shipping and taxes which are a lot higher here).

Weak paint. Road tires don't make her a road bike.

I got the Surly because I didn't want to shell out for both a mountain bike and a road bike, and because mountain biking in The Netherlands is an oxymoron but we do have plenty of mud. I built her up myself - there was quite a bit of overspray in the threads so I had the LBS chase them for me. Off-road, she rides like a dream - very stable, goes exactly where I want it to, even quite comfortable considering she's full rigid. I've ridden it on very rocky (in France, not Holland) and rooty terrain and she held her own perfectly. On the road, however, I do notice she's not as quick around short turns - I mostly blame the high center of gravity and the long wheelbase, although the front-end geometry might play a role. She's good enough for group / training road rides but on my own I prefer to ride my old (fixed) road bike. She really shines on rides that include both, especially on the skinny Vittoria knobbies I was running in France. No fears going downhill either on- or off road, and she likes climbing, too, despite the weight. The only real weakness I found was the paint, which scratches really, really fast. I did notice a little flex in the BB when sprinting (at 190 lbs) - the chain rubs the derailer. If the Lemond had been easily available over here I might have taken a look, but I have never regretted the Surly.

Road, hybrid and (rental) MTBs but no cross.