Currie 2001 Pro-Drive Older Electric Bike

[Aug 06, 2008]
Greg

OVERALL
Strength:

durable

terrible in mountains

Seems to still work, gt at least 8 miles per charge and goes along at maybe 15 mph

[Dec 21, 2003]
simi db

OVERALL

-Heavy frame, but it has to be for the extra weight of the motor and battery. -heat build up on climbs causes the saftey switch to flip on and then you are left motorless for 10-20 minutes until it cools off. -batteries die and have to be replaced -would be nice if they had a dual suspension option - -

Have owned two Currie Freedom bikes for about 3 years. I bought the first and bought a second within a few months for "buddy rides", since you normally blow away your unpowered friends on the hill climbs. These are wonderful machines. I put knobby off road tires on them after I bought them and I think the manufacturer has since recognized the wisdom and put similar tires on them. I have open, steep hills behind my tract of homes, with trails climbing 500-700 feet vertical. It was always a real blow to get to the top, but these bikes make it much easier. I can get to the top and then ride along the ridge top for miles. The motor takes away some of the difficulty of the ride, but you still can pedal and ultimately expend the same effort, but go higher and further than you would otherwise. You have to be carefull not to go too vertical, because the safety switch will shut down the motor if it gets too hot; still it would be nice if they could find a better torque/heat disappation option for prolonged mountain bike climbs. Both batteries just died recently and I have been looking to replace the batteries. Looking at other reviews, I suppose that three years is a long time for battery life.

[Dec 13, 2003]
biker2000

OVERALL

The bike frame is a little on the heavy side.

I purchased this bike three months ago, completely assembled. I'm surprised to hear that some people have had problems with their bike. I have not had any. The bike has plenty of range and power. My speeds have been no more than 15 mph on flat grown ( Plenty fast enough) and a range of about 7 miles per charge with little peddleing. I hear Currie is coming out with a new motor for 2004. I'm waiting for their new conversion kit to put on one of my older bikes. I have nothing but good things to say about my Currie.

[Jun 27, 2003]
acemoab

OVERALL
Strength:

For the week or so that it might work between catastrophic failures, it saves time for short errands. On long trips, take your regular bike, it is easier in the long run. If you completely rebuild the bike with standard components, it is somewhat usable, if you are very careful with it. The instructions say to not take it off road. I have never tried. Except for the initial motor burnout and several broken chains (it uses standard ANSI #25 roller chain) the power drive part is pretty good. The chain has a working load of 140 pounds, and I weigh 150 (and the bike 70) so it has a short life.

The basic technology is sound but the components are the worst I have ever seen. After a year, only the frame and a few minor parts are original. I tried one of their power drive kits on three of my old bikes, but it would not fit. None of the four major bike shops in town had a bike it would fit either. None of the professional bike mechanics I consulted at these firms knew of any bike that it was likely to fit either. Only by bending the frame would the kit fit the new bikes they had, and they all said that was dangerous, and I agree. Currie could have made the unit thinner to fit any bike, but they deliberately made it too thick to fit between the dropouts of any new mountain bike I could find, and I looked all over. My favorite bike, a Specialized Rock Hopper is ten years old and I have only replaced tires, tubes, and brake pads in that TEN years of hard riding. I use a bike as my only transportation, so that is a lot of miles. The Rock Hopper I sometimes use off road on slickrock and rough terrain, but the Currie I pamper. Too bad I can't put a Currie power drive kit on my old bike. That part is not too bad.

Like any product, if you treat it with kid gloves, it will last forever. In the real world of Moab, Utah (the Mountain Biking Capital of the World) forget it. It is a toy. Which is too bad, because it contains some very fine engineering and comes very close to being viable. In an urban setting, used occasionally, it might be just fine. Combine Currie's lack of proper product support with rampant flimsyness and daily use in the country and it becomes an expensive knick-knack. I am a fifty-three year old retired mechanical engineer who pampers his things, yet this is the only product I have ever purchased that definitely cannot last for its warranty period, and makes me feel like a destructive gorilla. I should have guessed this when the motor burned out the first day as I was pulling out of my driveway. Currie took three months to replace it, and could only ship me a used motor. A day later the throttle assembly fell apart (It did work until I was half way to the grocery store). They took another month to cough up a new one, and wanted to bill me for it. After that, they refused to replace anything. Even when I read them their warranty, they insisted that somehow it did not apply to whatever part had summarily died that week. How can an almost new seatpost break on a flat road with a 150 pound rider? Mine did and nearly killed me. How can new crank bearings freeze up in a month? Mine did. And on and on and on..... It should be called the "Titanic E-Sled." Although if the Titanic had been a Currie, I think it would have exploded when they hit it with the bottle of Champagne and never made it to the mid-Atlantic. This is my first, and last Currie bike. I also tried one of their power add-on kits, without success. If they made an effort to produce a power kit that would adapt to any bike (read the rest of the review - it must fit something, but what??) and make it two speed so it could climb hills (it does not need to go faster) as well as using a chain with a realistic rating, they would have a winner even if just the kit (without the next to useless bike) cost $1000. Bottom Line: The USPD Power Drive kit is the better bet, if it fits your bike, but forget the complete Currie E-Ride Mountain bike unless you live in a flat city and only ride to church for funerals.

[Jun 18, 2003]
David Eagle

OVERALL
Strength:

Motor in hub and freewheeling is a good design. The electric bike really makes a difference going up hills.

Lead-acid batteries don't last long when nearly depleted on each trip. Also, Currie's wiring system on batteries was very unreliable. To be honest, on level ground, a regular and lighter bicycle will go as fast as the electric bike.

For $599 (including shipping), I bought a demo Currie Freedom Bike which had the motor and battery already installed. During the first year, I had problems with the inner wires in the battery coming out. After one year, the hill I go up in Spokane caused the lead-acid batteries to wear out. I replaced them with NiMH batteries for $200 through www.powerassist.com and the bike has worked like a charm ever since. Only once in over a year, has a wire slipped off. While the lead-acid batteries should last a long time for people who only use the top energy of the battery, they do not last long if you end up using most the energy on each trip. The NiMH battery on the other hand, stands up very well to such energy depletion on each trip.

[Apr 02, 2003]
Info34689

OVERALL
Strength:

If you get the MTB E-Ride for a good price have it delivered to your local bike shop for assembly and upgrade. Even upgrading to the Shimano Acer derailleurs and thumb shifters should only cost $100 for parts and 80 to $100 for labor. Then you will have a quality bike you will enjoy riding.

Currie made a nice product when the bicycles were made in Taiwan, however, like other companies they have decided to manufacture the MTB E-Ride in Thailand to save money. They then used lower quality components, derailleurs and micro shifters to keep cost down shifters.

Currie Technologies customer support and warrantee are non existent. Rear derailleur, shimano tourney, cost $8.00 broke the first day. Both bike shop and Currie stated this happens on lower grade parts. Currie made no effort to pay for the repair, they stated I purchased the bike from a third party dealer, which invalidates the warrantee. The company I purchased the bike from was professional and inmediately shipped me a new replacement. After speaking to Currie once again they recommended I up grade the derailleur to a higher quality, Shimano Deore or Acer, or any other aluminum alloy derailleur. Best move I made. Total cost $45 for an Acer installed. Works flawlessly. Thinking of upgrading the front also.

[Aug 18, 2002]
Ed

OVERALL

rgmersch must have the skills that m4guy lacks to properly install the kit. Never had any issues identified by m4guy . Maybe m4guye should leave the installation to the professionals or the knowledgable. m4guy used the drive system on several bikes and attempted to return it. Obviously unskilled with bike repair/installations. He was aware of restocking charges before he purchased this, he signed the agreement. Needless to say we credited for a USED unit, which is highly unsual. m4guy sent threatenting emails as well(reported to police authorities).A customer that shoud not be allowed to shop. BEWARE

[Apr 10, 2002]
rgermsch

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid construction, Solid design, direct drive with freewheeling, Follow up services with Curries best sellers ( I purchased mine from a knowlegable person Scott, at EVDeals in Ma. Scott gave good service and direction.) Battery lock and release easy. The variable throttle is the only one I have tested and seen others that are 2 speeds or 3 difinitive speeds. This is so varable that on a sidewalk passing slow is a given with your legs as stablizers.

Battery should have a key not just the battery mounting key. A new power source and lighter batteries should fit this kit with no retro-fits and increase range for all power 40-50% which then puts it in the commuter status. I am told these will be released in May

After much research and past experience back 27 years ago with an EKit from Peddle Power I would sugguest that this is the best design in a kit. With my old friction drive not only the weight but the constant adjustments dictated a tool kit be put on board for extra weight. After 2 years and the same batter pack I have put on over 700 miles with the only adjustment being the chain tension block (2 times) The system installed in less than an hr although I would sugguest a bike repair stand to acheive this speed. The kit has very few parts. The mounting brackets, the motor assembly, the throtle assembly with the cable and the pre sized cable power assembly. Ony 3 in reality. The brackets took the longest. Power is outstanding and I do clime bay bridges with little or no effort. The dual wattage of the motor and pulse control system see to that. The system sensor know when the rpm has droped but the demand for a hill is there and explods to 900 watts. (most units are single wattage only. This feature give the system its long range. Often I am out for 3-5hrs with plenty of power to get me over the causeway bridge on the return trip. My average is moderate peddling for 70% of the time. You only use the motor for starts and hills and headwind as its free wheeling feature is unique along with the direct chain drive. Crossing streets in one stroke of the peddle leaves some drivers senses troubled at the sight. No noise does the same for those you pass in a headwind. They want to return their bikes for new ones at the bike rental shop. Peddling backwards when passing is a even better mind bender.

Peddle Power Kit, Sewell NJ. Not in that business, but have transfered there knowledge as one of the largest suppliers of mobility carts for the disabled.

[Nov 18, 2001]
M4Guy

OVERALL
Strength:

The kit LOOKED nice.

The kit fit my 36X3 spoke-patterned wheel but the wheel wouldn''t fit back on the bike with the drive unit installed. Neither Currie nor Electrik Motion indicated that such a problem might occur prior to my purchase. I returned the thing. Electrik Motion charged me a 25% restocking fee...even though the thing didn''t fit my bike through no fault of mine...maintaining that Currie was charging them the 25% restocking fee...so they had no choice. I wrote Currie a letter when I returned the motor and a couple of weeks later I emailed them. I got no response either time. So I got ripped off for shipping plus 25% of about $550. At times like this, I hate doing business over the web.

Electrik Motion and Currie have extremely poor customer service. I bought their USPD electric conversion kit. It didn''t fit. They ripped me off for a 25% restocking fee. Currie ignored my letter and email. Shop elsewhere