Diamondback 1999 Parkway Older Hybrid Bike

1999 Diamondback Parkway, hybrid, Shimano Tourney TY-30 components, Diamondback fork

[May 03, 1999]
Lewis Johnson
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable bike took me from no riding in the last three years to 80 miles per week commuting. Very good price. Everything a commuting hybrid should be.

Into the shop every week or so to get the rear derailer adjusted. I have yest to go 7 days without shifting problems (chain jumping, refusing to go into some gears). Broke spoke on rear wheel twice. None since having the rear rim replaced. After a couple months of riding I would like some bigger gears for down hills.

If the bike would shift OK I would be happy. Given the chance to do over I would go for the Trek 7300 or Specialized Crossroad sport because of the cable routings and extra gears.

[Aug 09, 1999]
Lewis
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

price, retro look

fell apart under me

See my other review above (below?). After 5 or 6 months of mutual frustration, the LBS took this bike back in trade for the TREK 7500 I am now riding.I had put about 1,000 miles on this bike commuting. The rear wheel had been replaced, the shifters were about to be replaced, the bottom bracket was loose.I do not know how much was the bike's problem and hoe much was the LBS.

[Sep 29, 2000]
Kevin Hudock

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, saddle, frame strength, ride is comfortable (road only).

Weight (heavy); many spokes broke. Rear derailer does not seem quite right; it seems to require a minor adjustment on the shifter to cause the chain to sit properly.

This is a reasonably good bike, but too heavy to completely satisfy me. (I average about 12 mph under normal conditions vs. an average of 15-18 mph with an old "touring" bike.)

Also, I am dissatisfied with the many broken spokes and the less-than-ideal shifter/derailer. Rides pretty comfortably, although the handlebars are a little too wide.

Very good value for recreational rider..and keep it on the road!

[Apr 14, 2001]
Keith Hefner

OVERALL
Strength:

Inexpensive commuter bike. Basically durable. I've used it as a commuter bike daily in everything except deep snow for two years (avg. 50 miles per week), and it has held up well, in general.

I've broken 12 rear spokes in two years (6,000 miles). I had trouble getting into top gear; adjusted the cable for a while, and then just did without a top gear. Gear range is somewhat limited (high and low). I have a little trouble in largest hills, up and down, and could use more range.

The Parkway is a quite decent commuter bike--good value for the money. I've ridden it about 50 miles per week for almost 30 months, on hilly, potholed surface roads. My only major compaint is that I've broken a dozen rear spokes. Shifting is not as precise as I've enjoyed on $500 bikes, but it works fine. If it had better spokes I'd have almost no complaints.

[Jul 13, 2001]
HANK HARDEE

OVERALL
Strength:

THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BIKE FOR THE PRICE. THE SEAT IS VERY COMFORTABLE AND I LIKE THE UPRIGHT RIDING POSITION. THE QUALITY OF THE BIKE IS VERY HIGH FOR THIS PRICE.

REAR DERAILLEUR SEEMS TO NEED ADJUSTMENT MORE OFTEN THAN IT SHOULD. I SOMETIMES HAVE TROUBLE SHIFTING OR IT SKIPS OVER A GEAR, BUT I CAN USUALLY "TWEAK" IT INTO GEAR WITH THE GRIP SHIFTER.

I THINK THIS IS AN EXCELLENT BIKE FOR RECREATIONAL ROAD RIDING AND SOME TRAIL RIDING AS LONG AS THE TRAIL IS NOT TOO EXTREME. IT IS VERY WELL SUITED TO CRUISING AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD, STRETCHING OUT ON THE OPEN ROAD, OR HUSTLING AROUND A MILD SINGLE TRACK TRAIL IN THE WOODS. THIS IS A VERY GOOD QUALITY BIKE FOR THE PRICE. I HAVE REALLY ENJOYED RIDING IT.