GT Bicycles Inc. 1999 Nomad Older Hybrid Bike

1999 GT Nomad, hybrid, Hybrid Mix components, RST 801, 1.6" travel fork

[Jan 07, 2003]
LancerGT

OVERALL
Strength:

Dependable (never had a flat tire or had anything break) Comfortable (multiple suspension parts) Aluminum frame is light and strong

The shifters arn't perfect, but then again this isn't a $1,500 bike

I've put 2,500 miles on this bike (mostly on gravel path) without any problems with regular maintenance. It's a great bike for what it's designed to be used for, a casual multi-terrain cruiser. A nice array of gears (24) allows you to be in the right gear for any situation. The ride is smooth and comfortable while being moderately fast.

Schwinn Impact mountain bike: Weighs a ton and is very slow

[Oct 12, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Style and size as I bought the 23" frame (I'm 6'4")

Price for components provided.

I significantly upgraded the components as I want to be able to ride this bike for many years. I wanted the right combination of comfort and speed and this bike provides it. Great frame and the front shock is nice to have. I love riding it.

[Oct 10, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Great styling for a hybrid

Cheap pedals, cables chafe paintwork, high price

This is a great bike. I think the styling is fantastic for a hybrid, especially when compared to the competitions. Many other hybrids are retro-styled, perhaps to appeal to the older rider. I chose this bike because I ride a combination of paved and dirt roads in a very hilly part of the world. The bike is ideal for this sort of terrain where a mountain bike would be overkill. The suspension on the front forks and seatpost are probably worth the extra weight penalty.

The tires are wide enough to handle dirt roads. The bike does fine for my type of riding, which is typically 20-25 miles, 3 times a week. The bike is great climber, but seems to be a bit slow on the downhills compared to my riding partners' bikes. I don't know why. The components are generally o.k., although the plastic pedals are pathetic and broke after about a year.

I would buy the same bike again, although would prefer to pay more for better components.

[Mar 10, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Dependable bike. Great for all kinds of biking -- touring, commuting, recreational. It always amazes me how much I put this bike through in an average year of riding the rough roads of DC and how few (if any) problems I've had with this bike -- it's the ultimate low-maintenance sport utility vehicle! I paid twice as much for my Bianchi road bike, but my loyalties are with my faithful Nomad.

A really great bike!