K2 Bike 2000 Newport Older Hybrid Bike

hybrid, Hybrid Mix components, K2 fork

[Jul 04, 2002]
B_Lee

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight for a 700 mm bike Nice looking design Different frame sizes

Gearing is not set up for hard road racing, rather more for fitness cruising.

I purchased this bike for recreational/ fitness riding on hard roads, and some trail riding. I liked the feel, weight, and quality of the components in the store and on my test runs. Like most hybrid bikes, its components are designed to accommodate multiple terrains and riding styles. The question was whether the component mix would make this hybrid bike the best of all worlds, or the worst. The only real way to tell is to try it on multiple terrains (which I was not able to do before buying it). After riding on hard roads, paved trails, and easy/intermediate off-road trails, my honest impression is that this bike does very well in each of these conditions. It is not geared for road racing, but the 700 mm wheel setup gives you acceptable hard road pace. On off-road trails (double track and sandy single track), the bike performs quite well, and although the tires aren't designed for heavy off-road traction, they have enough grab to get through mud and wet sandy conditions. Bike geometry fits me well for long-ride comfort (I'm 6'2" and picked the "way big" size frame). Overall, I think this K2 bike is a very good value, compared to other more expensive models, for my desired uses. It is fun and easy to ride, I think the design look is cool, and the components all work very well. However, I am not a bicycle design/component expert, so you'll want to consult other resources as well. Good luck.