Raleigh USA 2000 C40 Older Hybrid Bike

hybrid, Hybrid Mix components, Raleigh fork

[Dec 21, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

After 6 years, I'm still riding it. The 38C tires, extra cushy seat and suspension seat post make it a comfortable ride.

Not as appealing to ride anymore compared to my road and mountain bikes. Oh well... I still ride it from time to time.

I bought this bike in June 2000. 4,000 miles and still going strong! I originally bought it to get around Michigan State campus during college. After 1 year, I had to replace the back wheel due to the bumpy curb cuts all over campus. After college, I started riding the rail trails with it. Paved or gravel, the 38C tires can handle either. I even rode with a road bike club for a few months with my C40 until I got a road bike. The chain and gears are due to be replaced, but I'll squeeze a few more miles out before doing so.

Trek 720

[Jun 08, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

I'm a girl what can I say, I bought it for it's color

I'm just looking to get into cycling and get a little exercise. I ride it down to the beach all the time, it's a fun bike to ride. I found it for sale online and got a good price for it. The one thing I really like about it, is how comfy it is to ride. I'm not leaned over and all crunched up like some bike riders. I love it, get one for your self....

[Jan 21, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort but still fast. Lite feeling, like a road bike! Very comfortable. 25% mountain bike and 75% road bike. As far as the road part goes, I don't see much comprimising. Nice components.

Not crazy about that gear indicator in the middle of the handle bars, gets in the way of accessories, (lights, cyclo-computer). 1999 model doesn't have this problem but it also has a 7 speed casset and the 2000-2001 model has eight sprocket set up -not a big deal- Wifey has the newer model and likes the instrement gear indicator thingy.

This bike impressed me! I love road bikes yet am normally a diehard recumbent rider for the speed and comfort. But I had to buy within my means this time and chose the C40 for it's comfort, quality, and potential. This makes my third time for buying a higher end bike and I've yet to regret it.
Ok, it's not as comfortable as my old recumbent but no "upright" bike is, that's just the way it is. But the C40 in my opinion is as close as it gets. And it gives up very little in the speed department except for that upright riding position. But the way I assesorize things that won't be a problem for long.
This is a full blown touring bike with recreational racing potential. It's got the gearing for anything. What I really like is that I can do my daily 9 mile ride and I don't feel I'm losing anything with speed. The tires are much thinner than a mountain bike but fatter than a road racer. I like the way it feels on our poorly paved roads. It skims over smoothly what felt jarring on the tiny tires of my recumbent. I'm sure you could keep some skinny rims around for racing and that frame is sure light enough...why not? Someday maybe. But I'm very happy with this bike's setup. Shifting is thus far flawless. Brakes are great.
The spring seat is comfy, spongy and wide. Okay, this model doesn't have any shocks on the front and rear, nothing to rob your power. I never bought into that trendy stuff anyways. This bike is plenty comfortable with very little if any comprimise. Okay, I'm touting it's road abilities. It feels good on the average dirt road so long as it's reasonably hard packed. But if it gets loose, well, your better off with a regular MTB.
The maintenance guy at the bike shop says he hasn't gotten any complaints with the gear displayer thingy. That's good because I don't have a clue on how to fix it should it break. Frankly, I don't look at it, I go by feel of the right rpm, not at the number displayed. I guess it's there because this is meant to be an entry level quality bike.
I LOVE THIS BIKE!!! If I can't have a recumbent for now, then this is the bike for me. I'm looking forward to taking some 50 milers with my wife to neighboring towns for romantic overnighters. It's fun riding with my wife too. We have equal bikes basiclly, just a year difference in the models and frame size. Interesting to see a 4'11" woman with 27" tires, but it works! And she looks great on it too. Our bikes are equal so we are progressing together. This is a great time for us and these bikes makes life that much better. Promise, I'm not a salesman, just a lowly city worker scraping by. I'll try to get my wife to write her opinions on the c40. Bottom line, if you want a comfortable bike that you can grow on and lean more towards the road than the trail, this is the one. Yeah, I'd modify it for racing, but then, that's just me. he he he Cheers!

It's very much like the diamond back wildwood deluxe but lighter and maybe slightly faster due to it's thinner tires. But that diamondback was nice too.

[Mar 26, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, stuff that came with it

saddle

I bought this thang for my wife as a replacement for her old Raliegh 10-speed roadie. I like the geometry and 700x38 tires (possibly a good touring bike?), and it has the same grip-shifts as her Trek 930. Overall quality seems pretty good, but the women's specific saddle was uncomfortable for her. The dealer wanted to give us 10 buck's credit on a new saddle, but I'm gonna keep it (felt pretty good to me!) and order her a new one from Nashbar. Should be a good neighborhood exercise bike. 5 flaming do-dos for value, 4 for the crappy saddle.

[Apr 05, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

36 spoke wheels/hubs.

Mickey mouse setup. Stupid gear display in the middle. Seat is horrible. Bike extras fall apart easily.

I bought this bike at their tent sale. They were eager to sell me anything. The bike didn't fit me. I took it back. It was like a kids bike. I bought a Specialized Crossroads instead which is much better and not much more expensive.

Tried Trek 7300 and now own a Specialized Crossroads

[Apr 17, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

All around good quality. Lightweight frame, shifting is smooth,and very comfortable.

Havent found any yet.

I was shopping for a bike that would provide me a sturdy, comfortable ride on paved trails and in the neighborhood. I wanted a mountainbike type frame (because of the comfort), but did not want the shocks, knobby tires and bulkiness of a mountainbike. I love the bike, it fits all of my criteria so far. It is pretty fast, handles well,has good brakes, and is very comfortable and fun to ride. This bike is good for someone who wants a comfortabe, fun to ride bike.

[Apr 25, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Made in USA, good quality/parts, comfortable and looks great.

No real weaknesses, just two nitpicks. It uses 6061 aluminum instead of 7005, and the manual is OK but seemed reprinted from the 60's.

This review is for the Raleigh C-40 2001 model. Very happy
with the bike. Weighed in new at 31.5 lbs, got it down now
to 30 lbs. Since I only ride on paved roads I got a
pair of Avocet FastGrip 20 DuraPlus slick tires (700x35) which I am very pleased with. The C-40 handles great, feels
very comfortable, and the Stratos Advanced Comfort saddle that comes with it is pretty good too. I prefer the Serfas RX line so I switched saddles. I really couldnt see buying any of those shock forked bikes (including the C-200) and
now glad I didnt, cuz the C-40 is really comfortable
without them. Love the Nickel color of my bike as
well. I really like the solid one-color Raleigh paint jobs.
I would highly recommended this bike to anyone looking
for a hybird or even a comfort bike (like the Raleigh
SC series). I was happy with my 3 speed Raleigh as a kid
(and after a 30 year hiatus from bicycle riding) I
am again very happy with my C-40 as an adult.

Looked at similar Trek and Schwinn and higher end Raleigh's