Merlin Metalworks Inc. 2001 Extralight Older Racing Bike

[Sep 24, 2006]
Twogood

OVERALL
Strength:

Last bike frame you will ever need. My friend's blew off the top of his car coming back from LOTOJA, and not one scratch,Lost his wheels. They are bullet proof. Light, agile, and comfortably fast!

They look kind of boring and had to cash in some stocks.

I have had this bike for about 7 years now and have loved it since. I have no reason to buy another frame. I have been racing for along time and have never had a problem with the frame. I have upgraded from the original record 8spd to the 10, and have broken 2 crank arms, but the frame is priceless.

There is no similar products!!!

[Apr 07, 2003]
UnkaDave

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, plenty stiff, durable, century-ride comfy, eye-candy looks.

All right, all right; I had to get a second mortgage and a second job, and almost a second wife. But it was worth it!

OK, so mine is a couple of years older than the category allowed. This is one great bicycle. It is so light, so comfy, so responsive, so tough, so pretty... When they rolled it out at the bike shop and let me take it for its first spin, I stopped after a quarter mile to check the tire inflation, it was so smooth and soaked up the bumps so well, which may have been helped by the good carbon fork supplied. On the other hand, the bottom end doesn't bend when mashed upon. The welds are artwork (mine was built in the Mass. era). If I had to buy it again, I would without a thought.

Previous bike was Real Steel, have ridden alu frames.

[Dec 29, 2001]
brianherlihy

OVERALL
Strength:

Durability (was recently hit by van and had no problems with the frame wheelset and fork were destroyed). Great one climbs. Great people at the company.

expensive

Love this bike. Tried a number of different bikes, both Ti and Steel (Moots, Seven, Litespeed and some custom made steels - columbus and 853) Liked them all for different reasons, but loved the Merlin. Was suprised that I like the Merlin better than the Seven - had been borrowing a Seven for a while. Bike is fast on climbs and accelerates fast, fairly good on flats.

Seven, Zic Zac, Moots and Cannondale