BikeE AT Older Recumbent Bike

[Nov 25, 2001]
Barry Jackson

OVERALL
Strength:

It''s almost as comfortable as your living room recliner and feels very solid. Compared to other, short wheel base recumbents, this bike is very easy to control. The front wheel almost never bumps your feet during turns. I also liked the guards over the chain and front sprocket. It loads easily into the back of my van.

The shifters won''t send you into ecstasy, but they work ok. My only regret is that I didn''t try more rides on recembents with 26 inch rear wheels. With the 20" rear wheel on the BikeE I''m not able to switch components from my road bike or use my trainer. I''ve also had to search around to find a cyclecomputer that works on these smaller wheels.

I''m 50 years old and haven''t ridden much in the last year and a half. I quit riding altogether due to neck problems that I incurred while riding my sport bike over 2,000 miles in 1999. The BikeE is very comfortable; my neck problems are no longer a concern. I test rode two other recumbents. The short wheel base bikes were very hard to get used to. They seemed really squirrelly. And the front tire collided with your feet and pedals during sharp turns. This bike was very easy to ride in comparison. The AT is not the fastest thing on two wheels, though. But it is very comfortable. It really is a joy to ride. I would make the analogy that it is more like a hybrid than a sport bike.

Test rode a Trek R200 and Burley Django.

[Aug 25, 2001]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Good design, Extremely comfortable, reliable components, great air-suspension. So far...completely trouble free. Great support from dealer. Easy to fall in love with!

Minor....Paint finish on frame seems "anodized", not completely finished and polished. A little slow up hills until you learn to "spin-it"!

This bike has changed my lifestyle. Finally, I can ride a bike until I am tired...and not soar. Due to back and knee injuries, I couldn't ride a conventional bike for more than an hour, but now I'm riding for 2-3 hours with no pain. In fact, I've racked up over 1700 miles in the last 4 months. The air-rear suspension works great, smoothing out the miles...and the Bike E fairing increases efficiency at least 20 percent. Very stable going downhill, but try to keep it under 50 mph. This may not be the fastest 'bent on the block, but it sure is "FUN-ONMINAL". You get great double-takes from drivers and other bikers, and don't forget the amazing number of people who holler, "cool-bike". There are 'bents that more high tech, and also more expensive....but for me, I really like my bike.

Tested Rans Wave and Tailwind...Vision 40. Definitly like above seat steering better!

[Jun 17, 2001]
Joe

OVERALL
Strength:

Very easy to become comfortable with. It handles very well except at very high speeds 50 or above. Very comfortable on long rides, no neck pain no hurting hands or shoulders.
I have ridden 8 centuries with this bike without any of the pain that I had with a regular bike. I have not had any problems with this bike from day one.

It is not a hill climbing machine. The first modification that I made was to replace the 46 tooth front Crank with a triple. It is a 52,46,28. I can climb anything now, but it does get slow going up. I have seen several modified with a triple with a derailer placed on a tube fastened to the top of the frame. Looks like a good modification to me.

I love the bike. I have had several friends become converts to Recumbents. I have had many people want to ride it and have accomadated them all. I think a person really needs to try a Bike E out if they are thinking about a recumbent. The above seat steering is much easier and to me much more stable than under seat steering. The new models have several improvemts that I would like to add to mine. Hard to go wrong with this bike.

Linear, Vision, Ran

[Apr 13, 2000]
Jeff W

OVERALL
Strength:

Under 30lbs-light for a recumbent;easy to learn on;excellent rear suspension and very comfortable seat;attracts a lot of attention-a plus for promoting cycling in general

Fiddly shifting-switch to better shift cables; awkward to transport on a small car; pricey

When you get used to riding one of these it would be hard to go back to a regular road bike. This is a very comfortable bike which is easy to like. The riding position is very Harleyesque and reaching the ground is a snap. It handles and rides well and has been tried by half the neighbourhood to prove that. The seating position is quite adjustable for a widwe range of riders and Bike E as a company is also very accommodating. It is a good urban commuter and goes at a respectable speed if you get hiogher pressure tires. The Cane Creek rear shock combined with the generous seat really eases the bumps and the seating position ensures that you will not get a sore neck, arms or back. Try that on a conventional bike. As we yuppies get older, I am confident that you will see many more recumbants on the roads ( and off-road on a Bike E FX)and you would not go wrong with a Bike E..

Vision 40, Bike E CT, Lightning P-38

[Apr 12, 2000]
KENT SMITH

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable ride. Between the Sweet Seat & shock, there is no discomfort even after several hours in the saddle.
This bike has a very easy learning curve. Within 1/2 hour you should be ready to tackle hills, traffic & the busy commute.

The reach to the handlebars is long enough that your arms may well get tired, especially on a long ride.
Shifting is not as crisp as it could be. The internal hub gears in particular can get half way between gears & leave your crank spinning to no avail.

This bike is a blast for just plain fun. Not the fastest beast, but it's hard not to chuckle with glee every time I hop on.
This is a great newbie bike that also doubles as the quick errand choice. If you're not in a hurry, it offers plenty of comfort for an all day cruise.
Serious speedsters probably won't be satisfied.

Vision R44

[Apr 12, 2000]
Gus Morrow

OVERALL
Strength:

COMFORT! No pain no matter how many hours you ride.
View while riding
Easy to adjust seat and handle bar
Top quality components
Will easily and conveniently carry a LOT of gear
Safe
Easy to handle- very maneuverable
FUN FUN FUN FUN

Expensive
Not very fast with stock tires-much quicker with high pressure Primo Comp tires but ride is not as plush
Kickstand is constantly coming loose.
No front shock.

The BikeE AT is EXTREMELY comfortable and so fun that you can NOT stop smiling.
You can ride this bike for hours and feel NO pain.
When you stop you simply put your feet on the ground, you remain in a COMFORTABLE sitting position.
The view, while riding, is simply outstanding.
Shifting (21 speeds)is smooth and definate.
The BikeE AT handles like you always dreamed a bike would handle. It weaves through traffic and obstacles like a snake and the Cane Creek shock makes dropping off curbs and speed bumps no problem.
It takes a few days to get used to riding a recumbent but you're having so much fun you don't care.
It's slower up hill UNTIL you get used to it but it FLYS going down hill!
I've been riding my BikeE AT since Jan 1999 and STILL can not stop smiling. People constantly yell "Cool bike!"
This bike is incredible, regardless of your age (I'm 44, 220lbs) Comfortable, totally addictive and FUN!

I don't know of any similar product

[Jun 19, 2000]
Curtis

OVERALL
Strength:

Sturdy, quality-built, nice appearance, versatile for commuting and fun-riding, reliable. More comfortable than the non-suspended 1996 BikeE I previously rode. I found it to be excellent shifting, braking (after upgrading the original rear caliper to Shimano Deore XT), and handling in city commuting.

Not as comfortable as my new Vision R50 (full-suspension). I purchased my latest BikeE in 1998--I suspect the 2000 model is more comfortable. Not a terrific hill-climber (I know--the motor is the significant factor).

I found the BikeE to be extremely suited for my 6.5 mile commute the past 4 years. I'd suggest test-riding one on a long (hour or longer) ride before buying, if appropriate. That's where my new Vision R50 has succeeded over the older BikeE. Note that the Vision cost $1745, as opposed to the BikeE AT's price of $1100 (both in basic trim).

Vision R50 recumbent

[Mar 27, 2001]
Steve Rast

OVERALL
Strength:

I tested the Rans Tailwind, Vision R32 & both the BikeE FX and AT and found the AT the easiest of all and faster the the FX. The 3 speed rear hub makes shifting gears easy in a pinch.Also the seat is quick to change for alls to try out and it is large and comfortable.

NONE

I have been riding bikes all my life and changed to a recumbent late last year. I tested a number of bikes and found that the BikeE is the easiest to learn to ride. I commute year round 16 miles a day for work and had been riding a mountain bike up until I changed to the BikeE and started commuting with it the same day I got it and had little trouble converting to the recumbent. The only difficulty was learning to climb steep hills. BikeE is not the fastest recumbent on the market but I would recommend it to anyone. Its a blast to ride and plan on long trips this summer.

Tested the Rans Tailwind and the Vision R32

[May 19, 2001]
darren durkee

OVERALL
Strength:

Every thing from the shifting to the cane creek shock to the
comfort you get riding all day long! WOW!!!!!

If you want a bike a real bike, one you can be proud of in
owning. One that will take you to new vistas and new horizons...in complete comfort. A machine like no other you have ever experinced...do what ever is nessary to buy one for yourself and start living AGAIN!!!I love my AT!!!

various makes and models

[Feb 20, 2001]
Don Phillips

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort,comfort,comfort. Oh, it's comfortable too!
The suspension is great, the ergonomics are incredible, it is so much fun to ride, and it is the perfect commuter bike. This bike is more fun to ride than all of my other bikes put together, and it is by far, a more practicle bike to own than any of them!

I don't really care for the Sachs 3X7, it has never really shifted well under load, plus I'm a die hard Rapid-fire shift fan (twist shift feels mushy and vague to me). That was kind of a priority with me, but even when the shop told me that the Sachs 3X7 was not compatible with rapid fire shifters, I willingly made the compromise because everything else about this bike was so perfect.

If you want a bike that allows you to ride all day, in complete comfort, and have an absolute blast doing it, this is it. It's an incredible bike, one that is rapidly replacing my need for any of my other bikes. It's ergonomically superior to any bike I've ever been on (and I own five other bikes right now, which get ridden less and less all the time because of my BikeE). If I had gotten my hands on this bike years ago, I would have saved thousands of dollars in bicycle swapping over the years (and what am I going to do with my Cannondale F3000, my Diamonback XR-8, my Slingshot Triathalon bike, etc., etc.).
This bike looks incredible, and it is unique, even when compared to other recumbents. I kinda like the attention I get when I ride this bike, everybody has an opinion about this bike, and they have to share it with me. I'm mid-30's, average in appearance and physical build, slightly overweight, and look very normal in every way, but while I'm riding this bike, I always stand out in a crowd, and that kinda feels good. On about 90% of my rides I will hear somebody say something like "cool bike" in response to my passing. I also get endless requests to give out test rides, fortunately, this bike fits almost anyone from an 8 year old little girl to a 300 pounder close to 6'-6", and it adjusts in seconds.
Almost everyone who has ever ridden my bike says that they love it and want one, well, at least they say that as soon as they wipe that goofy smile off their face! Even my brother-in-law, who rarely is found more than 6 feet from his computer loved riding this thing around the neighborhood, and I think he only goes outdoors because he has to in order to get in his car to go to work or to pick up some fast food.
The bottom line is simple, this is the only bike I have ever owned that I haven't wanted to trade in after riding it for a season or two, and it is the only one that always makes me smile at least once during my ride, even when it 45 degrees out in the pouring rain.

I owned a BikeE CT first, but I let my wife ride it once, and she wouldn't let me have it back... so I "gave" it to my wife, and bought myself the suspension model. I have some back trouble and the extra comfort was worth the extra money. I test rode a Rans as well, but I liked the BikeE a lot more.