BikeE NX Older Recumbent Bike

[Nov 18, 2001]
akh

OVERALL
Strength:

outstanding brakes (maybe too good), comfortable, more stable than several other recumbents tested, high-quality components and build quality, easy adjustments

a little squirrely - esp. at low speed, don''t really like twist-grip shifting, the Mtn. Drive doesn''t give the "normal" feel to the gear ratios

The BikeE joined my fleet in an effort to get me back on the bike. I have a pretty bad lower back and riding conventional road or mountain bikes was not comfortable. After hearing so many good things about recumbents being good for bad backs, I decided it was worth a shot. I tried several different makes/models, but stumbled into a lightly used NX. It has been wonderful. I''ve only gotten back to about 20 miles, but just to ride without pain is great. The NX was a much better bike than I would have bought new (having never owned a ''bent). Very happy with the purchase.

test rode Burley Limbo, and several others (including another BikeE model)

[Apr 17, 2000]
Pat

OVERALL
Strength:

Relatively light weight, 28 lbs complete. Unusual, but hight quality, components such as Hayes disc brakes, Hayes hubs, and the Schlumpf two speed mountain drive bottom bracket. Also, worth mentioning are the USA made frame extrusion with a nice anodized finish, the Bike E sweet seat, SRAM 9.0 8 speed rear deraileur, top loading stem with comfortable bars that can be changed, and nice Sun rims. The fit is very adjustable, both bars and seat. An available quick release for the stem makes transport, and adjustment, easier. The Schlumpf Mountain drive can be shifted while pedaling or not.

A little pricey. The wheel sizes, 349 front and 451 rear, limit tire selection to Primo or IRC. Hard to transport in some small cars. Shifting the mountain drive takes a little practice.

This is the performance Bike E. It is super comfortable and high quality. The seat, which has a mesh back with 4 strap adjustments and other adjustments for tilt, allows for a custom fit quickly. A strong rider, which I am not, would not need to change the stock 26 -112 gear inches gearing. I needed a "granny gear" for spinning the big hills here and give my 51 year old knees a break. I am totally satisfied with the bike and the company. My local Bike E dealer has been great. Comfort goes without saying. Spend hours in the sweet seat with no pain anywhere, including your neck, wrists, and hands. If you are 5'10" or taller, order the large frame to get good weight distribution on the front wheel. It also provides more room for a rear rack. Don't forget the Bike E bag, especially if you commute to work.

I test rode an Easy Racer's Tour Easy. Also, I rode a Bike E CT model for a year before buying the NX.

[Jan 10, 2001]
Dave

OVERALL
Strength:

Top-notch componentry; a breeze to ride; very comfortable seat; 2-speed mountain drive; irresistably good lookin'

Cumbersome to transport (w/out a special rack); a little pricey (at full retail); seat bag doesn't hang right

This bike is just a breeze to ride. I'm not a hard-core biker or anything, but I can ride this thing all day. (By contrast, my MTB gives me back and shoulder pain after just a few hours.)

Plus, it's a real head-turner. On a typical Sunday afternoon ride, I get 10-15 inquiries along the line of "Wow! Cool bike!" ... A great conversation (and conservation) piece.

Didn't like the 2-speed Schlumpf Drive at first, but I just love it now that I have the hang of it. It's really nice for shifting while waiting at traffic lights.

The Hayes disc brakes -- while admittedly a splurge - are just way too cool. So far, they've been relatively maintenance-free, but I expect they will become high-maintenance after a few years. While there're probably overkill here on the Great Plains, they're just too cool to do without.

My only minor complaint is the way the seat bag sags -- it literally rests on the rear "fender", even when it's tightened all the way down. Also, transporting it is a major pain, until I went with a hitch-mounted rack by Sportworks. This rack installs in about 30 seconds and takes another 15 seconds to get the bike on, wheels and all -- highly recommended.

Overall, this bike is just a blast to own.

DB