Rans Recumbents Gliss Older Recumbent Bike

A plush ride. An effective long haul machine. You'll see them out there crossing counties, states, small or large countries. Commute, cruise, tour... really tour.

[Nov 21, 2012]
Brian a recreation rider

OVERALL
Strength:

I bought this bike new and have used it for more than a decade. Very comfortable and fast. I have had no parts break on the bike. It took a while to get used to riding it in the beginning. Tires make a big difference in how easily it rides. Presently using a Schwalbe Crazy Bob 20x 2.1 inch tire in back where most of my weight is. This is the fastest tire I've used in back. I weigh 220 lbs and am 6ft 5in tall and the bike fits me well. Bike is used for 20 to 40 mile pavement rides. I ride this bike when the average wind speed picks up in the winter and when I need either comfort, speed or both for a ride. The Cane Creek air suspension unit has been excellent and the ride comfort can be adjusted with a special air pump supplied with the bicycle. I set the suspension Cadillac soft. The bike does not pogo when pedaling. I use an Arkel recumbent seat bag for spare tubes/tires, pumps, clothing and food. I highly recommend this bicycle. I used this bicycle mostly on country roads. I use upright bicycles around town. Some kind of a mirror is a must. I have a handlebar mounted mirror and it works well.

Bicycle does not tolerate dirt riding or even gravel road riding very well. Front tire is too lightly loaded and tends to wash out easily on dirt/gravel roads. The front brake is very powerful and can skid the front tire on dry pavement. Knowing this I use the rear brake, which is also very powerful, much more than on my regular bicycles. Crank can hit the top of the front brake arms which can cause a crash. This happens at very low speed when you are starting up or turning very sharply. I became trained not to peddle when I steer sharply and haven't had a low speed crash in years. Otherwise a beautiful bicycle.

I highly recommend this bicycle for pleasant, comfortable longer rides. I use it on country roads but it works well in town also.

I own and use a Ryan recumbent tandem. Another great bicycle.

[Apr 21, 2010]
Mick

OVERALL
Strength:

Great seat, comfortable rear suspension.

Had to replace right shift cable 2 times.
Too much flex in steering stem.

Had back problems & bought the bike in 1999 to do Seatle-Boston. Could not have made a better choice. Super-comfortable! Suggestions - grips a tad higher & stiffer steering stem. Front & rear wheels the same means less parts to carry. Great bike!

[Nov 02, 2008]

OVERALL
Strength:

COMFORT, COMFORT, COMFORT! fast on flat ground and climbs easy but slow. just gear down. nothing has broke and it looks and feels sturdy. riding learning curve takes a while. especially sharp turns. just have to gear down and slow down. mirrors are a must. great brakes, smooth shifting and pleanty of gears.

recumbent wiggle! my grown sons laugh at me. getting better but still i wiggle. also, it has a really fairyfied warning bell. i try not to use it much! tight turns are a challange. just have to really gear down and slow down.

i first bought a cycle genius used then i bought my wife a rans wave. nice bike and i started looking for me one. i found the gliss on craigslist and it was almost new. love the speed and the shock asorber is awesome. i am 56 and weigh 235 and bought the bike for the comfort and exercise. we usually ride 25-30 miles on nice sundays. we usually cruise about 13-14 mph and i actually got it up to 22.1 miles per hour! pretty good for an old fat guy! everything is really adjustable and once you find your sweet spot, it is really comfortable. i never dreamed that i could ride 30 miles so easily. cool bike. does anyone need to buy a nice used cycle genius?

cycle genius recumbent.

[Jul 16, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

workman ship. smooth plush ride.Excellent seat.

The Mini front V Brake does not allow for tioga comp tires or fenders. Other than that no weakness.

This is a great bike for touring.City riding is good too.The future for this bike does look dim and will probably be discontinued.I recommend this bike for people that have a bad lower back. The rear susp really soaks up all the rear wheel shock that can be felt on non rear susp recumbents.

Vision full susp R40[sold it] Bike E AT with tail box & fairing. Bike E FX[still onw both E's]

[Jun 27, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

The Gliss is very well engineered and constructed, with excellent finish. The components are good and function will with the bicycle. The comfort of the ride lives up to the good reputation of the bicycle. The frame lends itself well to adapting various touring setups, such as panniers. The design and component selection make the bike easy to adjust and repair on the road.
It is on of the easiest of the long wheel base recumbents to ride and does a great job in city traffic.

The design has the rider sitting up a little higher that that of the Stratus, and some aerodynamic quality is lost. It is not much, but the Gliss is slightly slower than the Stratus.
The Premo Comet tires which come with the Gliss and Stratus are almost worthless on the average highway. They are good fast tires, but no so good in wet weather and very susceptible to flats from road hazards such a glass shards and stickers.
The small rear tire, 20”, causes the rear derailer to hang close to the ground and in the event that the bike is dropped on the right side, the derailer hits the ground and can easily be damaged.

The Gliss is an excellent road bike, and also performs well in city traffic. It is silky smooth with the rear shock absorber, and most bumps aren’t detectable with the rear wheel. The bicycle is designed, built and finished to very high standards, and there are no ugly design flaws that have manifested themselves after riding the bicycle several hundred miles. My reason for selling the Stratus and buying the Gliss is my need for the shock absorber, because of a lower back problem. The Gliss has delivered the comfort and ease of handling that I had hoped for.
The Bike-E NX was a very well designed and built bicycle with extremely good components. It is an excellent bike, although much slower than the Stratus or Gliss. I found both the Stratus and the Gliss to be more comfortable, but that is not to say that the Bike-E is a poor design. It just doesn’t fit my own individual needs as well as the Rans bikes.

I have owned a Rans Stratus and a Bike-E NX. The Stratus was ridden about 4,000 and the Bike-E was ridden around 500 miles.

[Aug 07, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

The Gliss is the plushest ride I own - its long, cool and harley-esque. The springy handlebars and rear suspension means the holes in the road don't bother my butt. The bike is a pretty good climber and is quick! The seat comfort is incomparable (compared to my BikeE's). The components work great, they have needed very little adjustment, and in general the bike is easy to maintain and care for.

I am unsure whether the price upgrade from the Stratus is worth better components and a rear suspension. I bought the Gliss because I had suspension on my BikeE AT and thought I really needed it - I wish I had test ridden the Stratus first. The ability to carry gear is limited on a bike which is billed as a long haul machine- the RANS rear rack won't work on the Vivo or Gliss. Its a long bike and isn't particularly manueverable in tight spaces because of this.

I LOVE this bike, I really love it, however its certainly no bargain. I would suggest potential Gliss buyers do their homework and really ride both this bike and the unsuspended version before dropping 2K on the Gliss. That being said I am now looking for a SWB bike, and am leaning towards the Vivo and not the VRex because of the rear suspension - so take that with a grain of salt.

All in all, its my favorite bike for riding pavement. Its FAST, fun and cushy. And Oh That Rans Seat!

I own: BikeE AT, BikeE FX