Rans Recumbents Screamer Older Recumbent Bike

Tandem riding empowers you to do things you thought out of reach, like crossing America. A Screamer has speed, comfort and handling to be ridden to extremes. Do it all on the Screamer; tour, cruise, commute, even knocks down for travel. The Screamer is the original recumbent tandem to feature the high/low rider positions for a compact, light, stiff frame. (no mono tube tango here!). Seats micro or macro adjust in tilt and fore and aft with the twist of a QR or pull pin.

[Oct 08, 2019]
KMF

OVERALL
Strength:

This is an update to my earlier review. Now have 45,000 trouble-free miles. Recently installed a Falco e-drive power rear hub and 750w battery. No more getting dropped on the hills! The Falco system is pricey but very robust with great range. It is a "pedal assist" motor so we still have to do some work which is, after all, why we ride.

We used to hate hills but now we don't.

Price Paid:
2003
[Jun 15, 2010]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort, visability

slow up hills

Purchased with s&s couplers, upgraded components and seats.
What a joy to ride. Three years now and no problems, just fun and exercise.
Haul on a draftmaster rack, fast on level, slow on hills, screams downhill.

santana, canondale tandems.

[Dec 14, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely comfortable, great vision of the road and surroundings, easy to hear the stoker giving directions. The central mounted kickstand is a must for on-the-road flat repairs. Goodbye sore back, neck, arms, and bottom. Very comfortable due to the steel frame and long wheelbase.

A pig on the hills but you get used to grinding and at least passing those who are walking up. Very long but we have a Draftmaster rack on the rear of our Pilot which makes hauling it very easy.

This is our 6th year with the Screamer. We have logged over 20,000 miles with absolutely no problems save replacing the original (and crummy) Tru-vativ bottom brackets and the original headset with a Chris King. My wife and I are both 67 years old and our rides are mostly under 50 miles with a few 100k events. The Screamer is well-designed and well-built. Very durable which is important for a bike with such a long wheelbase. I did replace the drum brake with a rear disk brake and saved a couple of pounds.

I have a Rans Force 5XP which is a bone-shaker but pretty fast. The Screamer is a much better ride.

[Sep 21, 2003]
jjratfish

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort comfort and comfort. fast on the flats and lives up to its name downhill. uprights need not even try to keep up. nice components.

the paint on this bike is a disaster--loaded with factory defects. drivetrain needs to be quieted down. primo comet tires unreliable. slow uphill.

screamer sport. overall a really nice bike. super for recreational touring. this puppy puts the fun factor way up there

other rans bikes

[Aug 05, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cost, overall quality, comfort, gearing, durability

Weight, unwieldy to transport

We had a top quality traditional tandem (Santana) for ten years, we'd ride a couple of hours and feel tired and sore. Now we ride 4 to 6 hours, feel tired but not a bit sore! My wife has gone from a willing but reluctant stoker to a "where are we gonna' ride this weekend" enthusiast. Our summer vacations are now credit card tours, something we couldn't even consider before. If you can afford it, do it and say goodbye to sore necks, shoulders, elbows, hands, and arses!

Santana Sovereign

[Jun 20, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, stability, speed, smoothness, comfort, handling, speed, and comfort.

Large! Slightly longer than a wedgie tandem. It does fit into our minivan with the bike's seats removed.

This bike is marvelous! We've ridden tandems for 17 years and have had this one for almost three years. It's the sweetest and most comfortable ride of any of them. I've considered putting a sign on the back of the captain's seat for those occasions when I have a guest stoker. I decided to do so after a friend went out and bought a Trek recumbent six weeks after she rode with me on the Screamer.

The sign:

Warning: Persons unused to riding recumbents are hereby warned that riding on this bicycle may lead to a compulsion to go out and buy your own recumbent. Management assumes no responsibility for dents to your budget that arise from riding on this bicycle.

Test-rode Double Vision.

[Jul 07, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort, comfort, comfort and the shear joy of riding it. Oh, did I say comfort?

Absolutely nothing

If you don't want to buy this bike, do NOT let your stoker take a ride on one. Several of our members have switched over to recumbents (mostly Rans, some Visions) is the last couple of years after taking a little taste of one. At our tandem club rides, half of the bikes are now recumbents. While comfort is superb, do not think you will sacrifice on performance. Our average speeds are higher now than ever on a wedgie. I think the only people who would find themselves slower are the most aggressive cyclists. For the rest of us, we'll just take in the views and have the most comfortable chairs at the rest stops.

Double Vision, Trek T100

[Jun 24, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

comfort, speed on the flats and downhill

weight, climbing ability, semitruck length

We just completed Ride the Rockies on this bike-every mile-no sag, including Trail Ridge Road. Like any recumbent, climbs like an overweight pig, ok on the flats, passes everything downhill. Outstanding comfort. At the end of the day or tour, nothing sore. The fairing adds only a little speed insofar as I could tell, perhaps 1 mph., but is protective from wind and rocks at high speed-a real safety feature. The handling is rock steady at 3.8 mph uphill, and 54 mph downhill-we saw both! Drag brake absolutely necessary on long steep descents, we used it constantly!
In summary, if you want the pleasures of a tandem, but desire comfort at the end of the day, and have realistic expectations as to performance, this is a fine choice. Definitely better on flat or rolling terrain than the steep up!

none, our first tandem! Have tested the double Vision.

[Mar 08, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

The ultimate family bike ! Fits members of my clan from ages 10 to 46. Adjustable seat accomodates just about everyone. Kid stokers do 50 miles and beg for more.

None really. I built a small trailer to haul it around on, but a Slipstream bumper rack would work well, too.

If it were stolen I'd buy another one tomorrow.

Double Vision, LongBikes Duplex, Daisy Mayhem, Columbia

[Aug 28, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable! Sweet ride as compared to my Trek 5000 OCLV. Good mix of components and they work well together.

I haven't found any yet!

My wife has not been a cyclist in the past and she loves this bike! With only one ten mile ride under our belt we went twenty one miles at a 14 mph average. We live in pretty flat country with only a couple of grades in the twenty one miles. All said, I love this bike and would buy it again. It is making a cyclist of my wife and that is worth the price alone!

Trek Tandem. This is our first recumbent.