Rans Recumbents Tailwind Older Recumbent Bike

Move up the performance bar with the Tailwind. Upscaled groupo, higher performance wheel and tires turn out a ride worth more than the admission price. Tour, commute, cruise, even race a little.

[Oct 05, 2018]
dougcbus

OVERALL
Strength:

I own this bike. It is a good city commuter bike. Stops and starts easily. The ride is neither bumpy or smooth. The shifting can be rough at times. I also have a bachetta cafe, which they call the volae now. 20 front 26 rear. Rides like a BMW 7 series. I like it on longer rides. Harder to ride in the city, does not stop quickly. Shifts easily.

The bike does not climb well.

Price Paid:
1998
[Jul 07, 2008]
pappagary

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort.

Only cons were it seemed unstable going down hill, and it was difficult to go fast uphill. Also the chain gets my right leg greasy on every ride.

I like this bike. No more pain in my wrists, neck and sholders on long rides. I don't plan on giving up my mountain bike, but for the road a bent can't be beat. Less than week after purchase I took it on the Santa Fe Century. 104 miles of pure pleasure. The riders of regular road bikes said how much they envied me.

I don't like the handlebar; plan to change it soon.

Mountain bike.

[Nov 19, 2005]
Scootems

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride of a LWB on a compact frame; rapid acceleration; sweet frame flex; comfortable RANS seat; excellent ergonomics on the handlebar; adjustable seat/handlebars; lightweight, easy to transport; quick learn, handles like a dream. This bent is perfect for a smaller person such as myself (5'4", 38 x-seam, 29 inseam). Flex in handlebar riser makes for smooth handling. I like the older RANS seat as it offers a full length interior space for jackets, caps, etc. on the trip. Plenty of RANS accessories available, including the possibility of modifying the handlebar set-up if I wanted to do so. The SRAM 7 8spd is acceptable, but I might upgrade. The bike is geared quite high, but not as low as some might prefer. I find it adequate as I don't ride many hills. Other strengths? Comfort, comfort, comfort! This one is particularly comfortable because riding it one feels so carefree as it is so easy to ride from the start. I almost feel as relaxed on this as I do on my trike. Not a twitchy ride that you have to constantly monitor or risk running off the path.

Paint job is beautiful, yet chips easily. A nice powedercoat would have been much better. Notorious RANS seat slippage-fixed with a trusty hose clamp enclosed in a bit of black innertubing. It has a wider turn radius than an EZ1, for example, but that's to be expected due to it's length and extreme fork rake. Not as cumbersome as a Tour Easy or Stratus on tight turns.

This is for the 2001 Tailwind, which I recently picked up used on Ebay from a local seller. Less than 100 miles on this mint bike. I like this older red color of the TW and in this model year the tubing has been increased to 2" diameter, which offers the sweetest ride. I wanted one of these for a while, but could never find one locally to try out. Finally I just took the plunge, un-test ridden. I haven't been disappointed. It has become my favorite two wheeler. This bent is the cousin of the Rocket (which I own and love) and they are very similar in that they both accelerate rapidly, cruise with hardly any effort, and coast on forever. Both are just a blast to ride! The TW feels a little more stable, of course, and it takes very little effort to get it up to a good cruising speed. Though the TW is a "compact" LWB, it feels and handles more like a LWB, which gives it that "Caddy" feel-smooth, fast, easy to handle. I was concerned about "tiller effect" in this handlebar set-up, but I experience none or if I do, I surely don't notice it. The bar can be adjusted lower or higher in two places. In it's lowest position it allows me to have a good, relaxed hand/arm placement and it does not put the bar in my face in the "hamster" position like the stock Rocket or V-Rex can do. I'm short and I can sit flat-footed at a stop, which I like. The bike just feels comfortable, stable, and is fast as well as stable at low speed cruising. There is very little wobbling going on during start-up, which I found to be difficult on most LWB bents. Someone who plans to tour might want to modify for a lower gear than is on the bike. My Rocket is geared the same and it climbs like a billy goat, so I don't see the need, but what do I know? If I ever tour, it will be on this bike.

OWNED IN PAST: Bacchetta Giro (boring and rough); RANS V-Rex (too big); Tour Easy (too long, not peppy enough to suit me); BikeE CT/AT (too slow); EZ1 SC Lite (too heavy/slow); Catrike Pocket (too rough and uncomfortable, too slow). NOW OWN: RANS Rocket (fun and peppy); Wizwheelz Terratrike 3.6 (fun, comfortable, fast, fun); RANS Tailwind. TEST RIDDEN: EZ Rider, EZ Sport Ltd; RANS V2; RANS Fusion; KMX trike; RANS Force 5; Burley Jett Creek; Burley Koosah; Sun EZ3. ASPIRE TO RIDE? RANS Stratus.

[Mar 25, 2005]
Giaruso

OVERALL
Strength:

Seating comfort, shock absorbing frame and steering post, acceleration and speed. Riding comfort without need for fancy and expensive riding gear: shorts, gloves, shoes, etc.

Seat slips on track as received.

Important addendum to 3/24/05 review of RANS Tailwind Recumbent: Added RANS 20" fenders @ $50/set + shipping from RANS. Included in bent sale price was a handy RANS kick stand. Stock bike weighs 33 LB. Bike is transported and easily stored in covered-locked PU truck bed of '98 GMC Sonoma (std.cab). Bracket Sensor Kit (Long) for CatEye Computer(s) is P/N 169-9305. Fits most CatEye computers and must search hard to find/order in cycle shops. Also can use the CatEye Astrale 8 Cadence computer with long wire. Seat and handlebar comfort of RANS Tailwind recumbent does not require fancy road bike gear, including gel shorts, gel gloves, and fancy clip-on road shoes. The RANS Tailwind is a real winner!

Giant Cypress Cross, Specialized Sequoia Elite standard road bikes

[Mar 24, 2005]
Giaruso

Strength:

Seat slips on track as received.

I developed a shoulder problem from the “jack-hammering” my arms took riding my wedgy road bike, and I was forced to try a recumbent (bent). I selected the RANS Tailwind because I can remove the front wheel and easily place the bike into my pickup truck and lock the bed cover; the bike is with me, then, wherever I go. I must say; I thought I’d never get use to the RANS steering. After about two weeks, however, I was totally use to it. I feel as though I could ride the RANS all day and I cannot wait to get on it again. I ride the recumbent three days a week, 23 miles each trip. I no longer feel any stress on my arms or shoulders. I am very impressed with the comfortable ride, including the nice flex in the frame and the steering column when going over bumps and rough roads. The recumbent riding position has removed all stresses from my back and from my neck (not to mention my rear end). Amazingly, because of the folded riding position, I can actually go faster with the recumbent than I could with my fancy wedgy. The acceleration on the bent is impressive, probably due to the smaller wheels and the leg-power advantage. In spite of comments from others about leg discomfort due to the new leg position, I never experience any discomfort at all. My legs loved this bike from the get go. I purchased the RANS from Quality Bicycle in San Diego. Since I did my homework on the Internet, I was clued in to the seat bracket in the earlier models that would slip. I noticed the recumbent I ended up purchasing was probably a 2003 model with the old bracket, so I mentioned it to the salesperson, and I got a 10+% discount. Yes, the bracket really does slip no matter how tight it is fastened. I fixed that by inserting a stainless steel sheet metal screw into the aluminum seat track just behind the seat bracket. Now the seat doesn’t move. The bike is so well designed and built, it is hard to comprehend that their engineers allowed this flaw in production. Another dilemma I had was to find a cycle computer with a wire long enough to reach the handlebars. After a long search, I found CatEye sells an adapter kit for about $17 with a wire at least 48” long that reaches from the front wheel up to the handlebars. I picked up a backpack that carries everthing I need for about $10 from Costco and hung it onto the two seat back posts. Everything else on the bike is stock and is performing well. It is obvious that the brakes and the shifting components are lower end, but they work just fine. Shifting on the RANS is perfect. The brakes are superb without any squeal. The seat is tops. It fit me everywhere like my favorite recliner chair. Happy riding.

Giant Cypress Cross, Specialized Sequoia Elite standard road bikes

[Jun 24, 2003]
Dozer1

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbs just about anything with lower gearing, incredibly stable at verry high speeds, quality frame, spectacular RANS seat

Stock gearing taps out ~45mph, Deore LX brake pads suck for heavy use, wedgie riders will want to sit on your bike after long rides.

Update to last review. With almost a year of riding on the Tailwind, it's even better than my first impression. As my skills have increased, the frame quality becomes even more obvious - it easily accomodates and exploits component upgrades. The RANS seat is even better with more miles. Moved to pure road tires - more fragile for commuting, but efficiencies are worth it. And this bike in road trim is verry quick and fast. 20" wheels = small flywheel = blistering acceleration. And the bike is routinely over 40mph downhills without a fairing - wow! Plus stability increases remarkably with speed - more like motorcyle dynamics than a bike. There might be faster bikes out there, but I haven't seen 'em on my roads! Biggest breakthroughs have been in climbing - with a 22 gear-inch granny, the stroke/cadence efficiency can't be matched up a long, extended grade, like Hwy 9. I'm still slower than the fastest climbers, and you can't sprint uphill on recumbents due to the fixed posture, but you can sustain it all day, enjoying the view the whole way (unlike a wedgie!). And once we reach the downhill, they haven't got a prayer... So, how many things do YOU own that you can honestly say are better a year after you bought 'em than when new?

[Apr 17, 2003]
John Davis

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort Comfort Comfort. The first time you ride a bent 100 miles it will pay for itself. This bike makes biking FUN again. I really LIKE riding again and as a direct result, I lost 45 pounds!!! (I am willing to be the Rans spokesperson if they ask, kinda like the "Subway-guy, Rans can feel free to contact me)

Maybe others think this bike can climb a hill, but not me, I suffer going up hills. (perhaps I should give up smoking) Plus every kid I pass screams out: COOL BIKE, can I have it, how much did it cost, wanna trade, wanna race, etc. Kids love this thing, they think of it as some kind of "low-rider". (not really a weakness I know)

They only give me "4000 characters" to describe this bike...wow...I will try. This review is intended for all the “Up-rights” who are THINKING about getting “Bent”. Please, listen to me, I know you don’t know me but TRUST me, you will kick yourself in the (sore) butt for not buying this bike 10 years ago! I have so many people ask me each day about this bike and I will tell you the same stuff: Its like the Limousine of the bike-trail---Its like being in your lazy-boy chair with petals---It’s the BEST thing I have EVER bought---NOTHING is sore anymore, not my neck, back, wrists, and most important, my “cheeks”----I will NEVER EVER NEVER ride an up-right again----I feel less pain riding this bike 130 miles than I did my old up-right at 35 miles. The Tailwind may not be the top of the line Bent, but I promise to you up-right riders, it is 1000 times better than what your on. (wanna know a dirty little secrete? I pass you "up-rights" and laugh behind your backs. You are all bent over trying to get low in the wind, you put aero-bars on to "lay down" a bit, give it up! I feel sorry for you and quite frankly, you look silly to me now) Last thing, going from an up-right to a bent is like going from a school bus to a plush convertible. On an up-right all you look at is the road and your front tire. But on a bent I see birds, squirrels, people, CARS/DOGS, trees and everything else in our world. Im going to put 2K miles on it this summer, this will include rides between Dayton and Cincinnati (76 miles one way). Its that good! You can ride all day without pain!

I test rode every Bent I could, but I was on a budget and this was my limit. However, I would buy it again and again and again! My next bike will be a Rans, maybe the V2 or the Stratus? (let me check

[Jan 10, 2003]
Dozer1

OVERALL
Strength:

Exceptional build quality, good components, unbeatable RANS seat, SRAM grip shifters, strong performance, forgiving for newbies. Cool conversation piece.

Only one I can think of is that I'm 6'1" with a 44" x-seam, and I've only got an inch of seat travel to spare. If you're any taller, or have longer legs, you might be out of luck.

I can't say enough about what a great bike the Tailwind is. I tried several recumbents before purchasing, and have been satisfied beyond my expectations. Exceptional build quality, reasonable components, fantastic riding position, and yes, the seat is everything you've heard, and more. While primarily a commuter, I've recently begun longer rides with more experienced riders, and much to my surprise I've been holding my own, despite my beginner fitness levels. Only upgrades thus far are tires (Maxxis Hookworms - highly recommended for commuting) and 38/48 lower front crankset (for hillwork). Despite what you may have heard, this 'bent can really climb. But of course, even better is the ultra-stability during high speed, downhill bombing immediately after! Excellent commuter. Great visibility, supremely comfortable, and the 20" wheels mean low inertia and fast stoplight getaways (read: acceleration). SRAM grip shifters are strong commuter allies. If you enjoy puzzled looks, followed by interested conversations, then requests to ride, shop no further! My Tailwind would have been a great value at twice the price. Oh yeah - important - the Tailwind is perhaps the easiest recumbent available on which to adapt to 'bent dynamics. Very short learning curve, at least for me.

Tour Easy, Optima Lynx, assorted Bike E's

[Feb 26, 2002]
Dan Gaines

OVERALL
Strength:

Well put together, great components, good tires, excellent ride. Most of all I have always gotten a response from RANS whether it be for a problem or a minor adjustment, they will always respond back to my emails. Thats called good customer service..

I really don''t think there are any, at least I haven''t found any yet.

I purchased my 2001 RANS Tailwind in the fall of 2001. Around here that isn''t much riding season left. I rode my Tailwind several hundred miles before taking the Century trip. I needed to do this because of the muscles you use that you don''t use when riding a diamond frame. I really enjoy it, its fun to ride, its fast, even without trying. I get a lot of stares and its a great conversation starter. I have upgraded my rear derailleur with a 9.0 SRAM and a Shimano 105 front derailleur. Didn''t need to do that it was great just as it was but I''m just one of those people.... I would only change the bike to have a rear shock if I were doing the planning on it but even that would not be a real necessity, only at times it would be nice. I ride a diamond frame road bike, hybrid, and mountain bike. I always come back to the tailwind for a great comfortable tour. I just wished that the hard core roadies and mountain bikers had more of an open mind when it comes to riding something different. I enjoy variety but for some its one type or nothing. Oh well, their loss.

Road bikes/Mountain bikes/Hybrids

[Feb 16, 2002]
davethewave

OVERALL
Strength:

Shifting is very percise especially on uphill runs. Comfort level is very high. There is extra storage space on the back of the chair and visiblilty is wonderful. I am finally able to enjoy my surroundings on a trail ride instead of looking at the ground most of the time. Speed is still a surprise to me - with little effort I am able to take the steep grades and cruise on the straight aways without much pedaling. I like the long wheelbase for stability. This bike is light weight and fits on my trunk rack easily. For the money this bike is a tremendous value.

I just haven''t found any yet.

For my 50th Birthday I moved into a Bent after 36 years of riding a Raleigh Professional custom built touring bike. No more pain in my neck from trying to look up or the palms of my hands from the upper body weight pressing on the handlebars. This is the most comfortable ride I have ever had. On my first road trip I cruised 36 miles round trip and could have gone much further. The seat and back are a big part of the comfort factor. Many other riders talked to me about the bike at cross road stops and I let several other folks ride it. You will definitely meet new friends and start conversations with this bike. I am impressed with how much additional gear I can load on it for camping trips without me having to work around the gear while riding. It is easy to climb grades and a dream on the flats and downhills. Great stability and control. I like the feel of exchanging body strength to bike better than any other riding experience.

Touring bikes, Mountain bikes.