Rans Recumbents Wave Older Recumbent Bike

Entry level in price but advanced in ride and comfort with typically sweet RANS handling. Waves have the ride people seek and the quality to deliver it for years. The Wave features their famous seat and bars. Commute or cruise.

[Jan 28, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Hostel Shoppe has the 2000 Model on sale for $495 plus $65 shipping = $560. I paid a local shop $40 to assemble and $16 for a mirror. Total $616. Regularly $795 plus. This is my first and probably only recumbent. I had ridden an upright for years, but now at age 46, no seat I tried left me comfortable. Both my rump and my wrists were beginning to get numb after 45 minutes. I even tried an experimental seat, but I was still anxious to get off the bike. Internet searches told me about recumbents. I decided that was the answer for me. When I stumbled on the Hostel Shoppe sale, I couldn't hold back any longer. I wanted to test ride one, but there are no dealers less than 2 hours away. So I took a chance. I've ridden this bike on my old standard route 3 days in a row now. Not one sign of numbness or discomfort. I've never had a bike with both front and rear gears, but this one, with 27 speeds, is a piece of cake. The seat is a dream, like riding in your armchair. The view is magnificent. I was about to give up my recreational riding totally until I discovered bents.

It took me a few minutes to get stable. The key is to get moving immediately. On my third ride I was just as confident as I had been on my upright. The 2000 Model has the smaller 16" front wheel, which I imagine is a little less stable than two 20" wheels, but it's really no problem. And for a $300 savings the 16" front wheel is quite acceptable. Since the bike sits a little lower than my upright, I wrapped my orange mesh hunting vest around the seat and put a strip of pink flagging on a bit of fiberglass fishing pole above the seat. Autos have given me plenty of clearance, maybe out of fear of somekind of kook riding what appears to be an adult trike or scooter. I was afraid the upper gear-inch limit of 90 inches might be a little too low for pushing on downslopes. But it is fine. You might want the TailWind if you tour distances on flats. The lowest gear ratio of 22 gear-inches is probably not needed. You could probably climb a cliff with that. I have not found it necessary to even engage the smallest front gear ring at all, even on the steepest hill. The front handlebar and its extension are quite flexible. This seems weird at first, but it absorbs bumps from the small front wheel. Also, the weight of your arms on these flexible handlebars actually adds to the stability of the ride.

As we baby-boomers get older, stiffer, number bottoms you can bet there will be a bent-boom. The Rans Wave is an excellent introductory bent for me. I doubt that for my recreational rides I will need another. I could not be more pleased. Thanks to Rans and Hostel Shoppe I will still enjoy a pasttime I've become addicted to over some 20 years.

There's nothing similar I know of in this whole town.

[Apr 15, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

This is RANS' entry level bike (lowest price in their line up). Lower gearing should be attractive to recreational bikers new to recumbents. Very smooth, easy shifting and pedaling. Easy to ride.

It costs $100 more than its competitor. For those with some biking experience, the gearing may be a little to low.

I was really impressed with this bike! I own several bikes (both uprights and recumbents) and found this one to be very attractive from several perspectives: gearing; handling; comfort; quality. I may buy this bike for my granddaughter in a few years.

BikeE CT