Bianchi 2000 Campione Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Mirage components, Bianchi fork

[Nov 19, 2014]
casetta

OVERALL
Strength:

frame

fork

road this frame for 14 years.. over the years i replaced some of the parts.. great ride great value... all campy steel handmade in italy... a classic

[Feb 07, 2001]

Strength:

this is an addendum to my review below. i recently got some mavic heliums with michelin axial pro tires and salsa skewers. it is true what they say - a wheelset is the best upgrade you can make. i probably will swap the axials for some vredestein fortezzas as soon as they wear out, which will be soon i fear.

[Mar 03, 2000]
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

Fine Italian Steel, Campy Components, Ergo Brain Compatible(if they ever get here) 23.5 pounds, Mavic wheels

Tires (4 flats in the first 4 rides)

Buy it if you love the feel of steel but change the tires. A good buy at $1000. Quick acceleration, compliant frame, and it looks great in Celeste. Don't buy it if your looking for a bike to just ride on Sunday with the kids.

Eddy Merckx

[Jul 22, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

The Very smooth Campagnolo Components. Smooth shifting, and a very compliant ride. Handles very well. Heritage and tradition.

The seat takes some getting used to. I have no problems with it now.

This is a very fun bike to own not only because it is fun to ride but also because of the tradition and heritage of the Bianchi bikes. I also have the Celeste color which is a Bianchi Tradition. I am proud to own such a bike and I wax it frequently. I have put about 280 miles on the bike in the month i have owned it. Have had no problems with the tires like others have said they have had. I guess it depends on where you ride. Overall, I dont think you can go wrong with the Campione as it is a solid traditional steel frame, with quick acceleration and handling, and you also get quality Campy components to boot. By the way mine is actually a 98 model that i found new this year and i got a good deal on it. It is an 8 speed. I love the bike and would recommend it to the serious rider looking for a quality road bike. Do not buy this bike if you are looking for a casual neighborhood bike to ride 3 miles a month. This is a true stallion that is made to be ridden frequently.

Tested a Trek 1000 and 1200

[Aug 16, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful in that Italian way. Looks like more bike than it actually is. Excellent ride quality. Reasonable weight, although not light. Reliable components.

Still pretty heavy, fair amount of BB flex, seat needs long break-in.

This is an excellent and beautiful machine if you are just getting into road riding, or are a non-serious recreational rider. However, you should not buy this bike if you are an experienced cyclist. It is pretty heavy, even for steel. The Mirage components, while an excellent value and a reliable gruppo, is not very light or precise. In addition, I'm not a big guy(5'9", 170), but there is a good amount of BB flex when climbing or sprinting - it feels a little spongy and the chain rubs the front deraileur. Ultimately, if you ride less than 80 miles or so a week, then this is all the bike you could ever need. But if you're already serious, your upward mobility with this bike will be limited. This isn't the bike's fault though, so I see no reason not to give it the full ante.

If I had something similar, I wouldn't need this bike.

[Aug 31, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Campy components (sold me),quality frame, butter smooth ride
Look clipless pedals standard, not cheap pedals or no pedals
like on other bikes. Paint and finish quality is outstanding, actual headtube badge not a "sticker". And of corse the heratage behind the product, cant beat that!

Stock seat post has to go! has notches in the adjustment and just dosent seem as "quality" as rest of the components.
Yello striped tires my be a bit much on the yellow model, they just dont even go with the celest color(personal opnion). Campy grouppo takes some time to break in. Bianchi does not offer Yellow touch up paint like they do the Celest color, according to there website.

If ya like something just slightly out of the ordinary this is your steed. Ya cant go wrong with either color, although the Celest color is the traditional color to have. The Campy group is what sold me on the bike, or should i say put the cherry on top of it all! Personally owning and still riding Campy components that are appx 30 years old i know they will hold up to the test of time, and the Steel frame will do the same with a little TLC! I have not seen any shimaNO parts even half that age. The frame is butter smooth and handles great! Going from a bike 3 decades old to a Y2K bike this seems like the best thing out there, but for the price i dont think you can beat it. Another really nice touch are the LOOK pedals that are standard. You dont have to shell extra $$$ for clipless pedals and there not some cheap knock offs like some others offer. This bike is a great starting point for someone getting back into the sport (like myself) and wants a good quality all around steed without breaking the bank.

Just say shimaNO!!!!

1971 Raleigh Professional w/ Campy Nuvo Record
1998 S-works FSR

[Oct 03, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Bianchi and Campagnolo names mean alot. Steel frame is comfortable. Came with Look pedals.

Had to have back wheel rebuilt at 250 miles. Back tire had to be replaced at 1350 miles. Kind of heavy. Seats hard but I am used to it for now. Front derailure needs occasional adjustment.

This bike is a blast to ride. I have gone on some pretty bumpy roads and the bike seems comfortable and holds up fairly well to the beating, except for the back wheel rebuild. I wish the bike was a little lighter but I might upgrade to a carbon fork to help that cause.

This bike is great for somebody wanting to get into road riding/racing and don't want to break the bank. Remember there is more to a bike than its weight.

Went from mid 1980's Fuji Supreme touring bike to a modern road bike. Still use Fuji as a commuter.

[Oct 08, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Italian design and components. Well matched components

Yes. Seat is hard on your butt at first. I was in pain for the first three weeks.

I'm a 47 year old man who hadn't been on a road bike in 16 years. Became a marathon runner. Decided to get back on the bike to cross train. I looked at the aluminum bikes, the carbon bikes and wasn't impressed by the ride or the price. I always wanted an Italian bike and as soon as I got on this bike, I was hooked. The geometry is perfect for smaller people like me (5'7" and 140 lbs). Once the Campy components broke in at about 100 miles, everything became smooth and effortless. For people like me, enthusiasts who want to spend quality time on the roads and have fun with a classic bike, this is a perfect decision. By the way, the people at Scheels are top notch; the sales people and the mechanics are all enthusiasts without being snobby, which was my experience in the "road racer" stores that I went to.

Trek. 1993 re-built DeRosa with Dura Ace.

[Nov 20, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Campy components, steel frame.

A little on the heavy side.

$1100 new, got one on Ebay for $478 after shipping.
This bike was a great deal, I am switching back to road after I realized my mountain bike saw more road than dirt miles. I bought it to train on until I can buy a new road bike. Probably not quite race worthy with the components and weight, but it will do for beginning multi-sport stuff. I'm a runner and will start doing duathalons in the spring.
I'm 6'3" with long legs, so I had to get a longer seatpost and a stem with a 10 degree rise to make the bike fit me well. Very much worth the 150 bucks I spent.
The bike handles very smoothly, feels stable on fast descents. Kinda heavy at almost 23lbs on a 59cm frame. I don't know what the wheelset weighs, but I think you could shave a pound with a set of Cosmos for 300 bills. I could also just put in some more miles and shave a pound off my ass!
My take on the Campy vs Shimano debate: The STI shifters rattle too much for me. I think the Campy just feels more solid because the entire brake doesn't move. I also like the fact that Campy's front derailleurs can be trimmed slightly in both directions so more of the rear cassette can be used on both chainrings.
Apparently a lot of bike manufacturers don't feel this way, because Campy setups are a rarity on US bikes.
Overall, I love this bike and feel I got a great deal on it. I'll keep it even after I get a new race bike for use as a commuter. Besides, Italian steel is so cool even the snob bike shops that sell $5,000 rides still like it.

Old Peugeot road bike, test rode many bikes - Lemond Alpe d'Huez and Chambery, Trek carbon and aluminum, Cannondale R800, Specialized Allez, Colnago Altain, Raleigh 800, Jamis Eclipse.

[Dec 07, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

heritage, nice components - i really like the hubs

a little chunky, but not bad for one kilodollar. weight can be shaved in the wheels, fork

one word: smooth. i feel that with a few select enhancements, this will be a very serviceable ride. I want to put some campy ($) wheels on it and ditch the stock mavics and maybe do a carbon fork, but this is down the road (so to speak). i will ride it stock for a season. This bike is for newbie roadies like me who are looking for a first bike that does not suck. i will take this bike on all types of rides: quick 10 mile trips, training, hill sprints and climbs, and hopefully (!) a century later this spring/summer.

i decided on this bike instead of others in its class for a few reasons. it came recommended from friends who are bicycle mechanics. i like the bianchi name and the fact that the campione is specced with campy parts. i like the color. most important to me was the double crank. all of these things contribute to a traditional italian road machine which is what i was looking for. i ride mtn extensively and am fairly strong. i felt i would be spoiled if i had a third ring on my road bike, so i decided against that immediately. i do not even want to be tempted to capitulate when climbing and run to the refuge of a third ring. i realize that this is a personal mental decision, but if you really want a true road bike, you cannot ride a triple. watch the tour or giro this year. see many (any) triples? enjoy. unless you are at work or it is snowing, leave your computer and go ride.

first road bike