Cervelo Prodigy Older Road Bike

Complete bike with BSC fork, Ultegra Road kit, and Rolf Vector Comp wheels

[Sep 18, 2006]
jbailey26

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride quality. Handles extremely well. Comfortable. Light. Looks fantastic!

None that I've found.

I bought the frame and built it up using Campagnolo components. Great ride quality. Handles extremely well. Comfort of steel and about as light as aluminum. This is a fantastic bike and one which will remain in my collection.

[Sep 13, 2006]
AndyPeterson

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, light, stiff bottom bracket shell with great power transfer.

1 inch headset sacrifices some front end stiffness, steel frames eventually need to be repainted

This bike has been my main training bike for the past two years. It has been reliable and solid and has provided me with a great ride. The paint is starting to get beat up and there are a couple of small spots of rust -- I was going to trade it in for a different, higher end, frame, but couldn't find anything that had the same combination of smoothe ride and tight snap on climbs and accelerations. I decided to spend my money to have it repainted instead.

Litespeed blade, Quintana Roo Tequilo, Merlin Extralight custom, Giant TCR zero

[May 17, 2004]
percy

OVERALL
Strength:

Great all-around bike. Weighed in at just under 18 lbs with seat, peddles, cages and computer. Not bad for steel!

None that I can identify.

Price was for frame, fork and seatpost. Great value for the quality of this bike. Just completed my first 1,000 miles on the 2004 SuperProdigy ending with back-to-back Centuries this past weekend. Fast, very comfortable and solid. On the trainer this winter I immediately noticed that the BB was much stiffer than my previous ride (Lemond). Bike is stable through corners and incredibly confident on fast (40 mph+) descents. Combination of Columbus steel tubing + Muscle carbon/ti fork is great.

Lemond Buenos Aires

[May 13, 2004]
gwc

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride, lively steel feel, great looks.

BB Stiffness, weight. Excellent for a steel bike, but not as good as high-end aluminum. The minimalist white finish looks great but the paint is fragile.

I have been riding and racing this bike for two years. The frame is light for steel and mighty smooth, perfect for long training rides. Climbs ok, descends superbly. The new aluminum bike I'm now racing is noticably stiffer when sprinting and cresting hills out of the saddle, but I'll continue to train on the Cervelo since the steel feels so much better.

[Dec 14, 2003]
Kevin ORourke

OVERALL
Strength:

Bottom bracket stiffness, ride quality,appearance,value,Spinergy wheels (haven't had to adjust trueness since initial tuning).

Paint chips easily, took awhile to adjust cockpit to fit. Stock Saddle killed my butt.

I've had the bike for 2 years, still enjoying it. The ride is considerably smoother than my older Klein, with no sacrifice in bottom bracket stiffness. I recently rode the Ride For The Roses century in Austin and the bike performed flawlessly.

Klein Quantum, Lemond Zurich

[Dec 10, 2003]
BowWow

OVERALL
Strength:

The Ride, the Ride, the Ride! Light weight and smooth, put me on this one all day long!

Cervelo brand brake calipers, Richey Logic headset, welds could be a bit smoother...

Like buttah! Smooth, slick, handles like a dream! I'm 6', 200 lbs, and have the 60cm frame with a 120 x -17 Richey stem. I flipped the stem over to give me a less radical position, and will soon swap to a 120 x 0 with 3 cm of spacers. Should be right dialed in for me by then! The fork is a Reynolds Ouzo Comp - not stock, but works fine. The Comp has an aluminum steerer which adds a few ounces. Mine has FIR rims laced to Edco hubs - aero rims, 28 spokes, radial front, radial/cross 2 rear - VERY smooth, very solid. I'm disappointed with the Cervelo brand brakes - weak as kittens! I'm dropping new pads in, I hope this will fix the problem. I also swapped the Richey Logic headset for an FSA Orbit X - HUGE difference in handling! The paint is good, but the welds are just a little cobby - but you only notice when you look closely. Overall, this is one incredible ride. Very lightweight (mines in at 18 lbs with Look pedals), absolutely amazing smoothness (love that steel!), excellent handling, and great looks!

Old Centurion, Specialized Sirrus

[Oct 25, 2003]
D Ashton

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong, light, excellent geometry,simple but technically advanced design and materials. Excellent craftsmanship. Unique-Low quantities built. Exceptional value.

Bought the Cervelo as a frame set. This frame with Cervelo fork will put most frames to shame regardless of the price or the buss word on the downtube. Columbus Thermacrom main triangle with ovalized tubes and Nivacrom for the stays, this bike is light, true as an arrow, stiff yet comfortable for those 5 hour rides. The welds are clean and neat, the head tube cable stops and Ritchey dropouts are slick and functional. The paint and red graphics are simple but eye catching. Due to the tight and aggressive geometry and low weight (bike weighs 16.8) this bike excels on the hills and is quick and precise on corners and flats. A well thought out simple design properly engineered and built. With these new techy steel tube sets properly put together,I have no need to go back to aluminum, ti or carbon.

Owned or tried various steel, aluminum, carbon and ti

[May 12, 2003]
Alsie

OVERALL
Strength:

Magic carpet ride of steel,its so smooth over rough raods. Frame quality and finish is impeccable. It looks so damn cool. White with red graphics, black Spinergy's with red decals, red tires..ya

Jury's still out on the seat, waiting to see how the Spinergy SR3's hold up.

Bought the Prodigy (2001) new as leftover stock.....what a deal,what a ride. The bikes got a more retro look due to its steel construction and smallish tubes...who cares! This thing is so smooth my a** thanks me everytime I get on it.I'm giving it a 4 cause I can't give it a 4 and a half...nothings a five.

99 Speci Allez Comp,2002 Giant TCR 2 Areo, CDale r600 All were bone jarring.

[Jan 22, 2003]
Curt Thompson

OVERALL
Strength:

Great engineering that yields light weight (for steel) and exceptionally smooth ride qualities. Good looking, too.

Not too crazy about the welds, and the paint could be better, but neither are really THAT big of a beef.

I bought this bike "showroom used" from a dealer in Las Vegas, for what I consider to be a steal, $1,600. It still rides SO DAMN SMOOTH and stable that, even after about 1,500 miles or so, I STILL shake my head every time I get on it. If you want an excellent value in a steel steed, look no further. Cervelo has what you need, and for a price that won't leave you without enough cash leftover for Clif bars. A five star rating isn't high enough!

N/A

[Jul 17, 2002]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight. Pretty paint. Great fit. Super clean construction and welds.

Spinergy SR 3 wheels are a little finicky (skewers must be very tight or they creak)

Great balance of light weight, great/neutral handling, and components. A real winner. I have a hard time giving anything a 5, but I'll do it here. Bike fits like a glove, is great on the climbs, stable in decents. Despite light frame, no deflection in the bottom bracket. Wasn't sure I would like the Profile bladed fork, but there is no flex at all, yet very comfortable. I simply can't think of anything to complain about. I had my heart set on a Litespeed, but for $2000 less, I've got a lot more money left over.

Various custom and mass produced steel, aluminum and carbon bikes.