Cinelli Starlight Older Road Bike

Cinelli Starlight

[Mar 20, 2010]
Max Ashton

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultra light weight frame and fork
Beautiful design
Climbing ability

Paint chips easily
Thin wall tube could be easy to damage in a crash or if you're aheavy rider, although personally no problems so far.

Bought the Starlight frame on ebay France for €165 in perfect condition and have spent the last 2 years upgrading parts via ebay. Rides beautifully, especially in the mountains. Very light frame and forks comparable with full carbon frames and climbs fast with excellent power transfer due to the stiff. Quite stable on fast descents up to 65 kmh. The Columbus Muscle Carbon forks are a work of art and the Cinelli is comfortable to ride for several hours. Beautiful machine, a joy to ride and well suited to the lighter rider.

[Aug 04, 2003]
CinelliMike

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast lite and stiff. Very cool gfx

Front end seems lite which gives the bike a twitchy feel.

After 3 years on a Serrota Atlanta (steel frame, Record 9speed) I decided to go alluminum. I looked at several framesets including Orbea and Eddie Mercx and test rode both bikes (Record 10speed groupsets). I also had the opportunity to ride the Cinelli. To be honest I enjoyed the Mercx the most but with equal groupings I paid over $1000.00 usd less for the Cinelli (Record 10speed, Campy Neurtron wheelset, Cinelli Solido OS bar and stem) and that as the deciding factor. I've gone on two rides since buying the bike of 58mi and 65mi both with quite a lot of climbing. The bike is fast and very responsive. The frame is stiff (compared to my Serrota very stiff) but not more than the other bikes that I test rode. My only complaint would be the that the front end is very light which gives the bike a bit of a "twitchy" feel. It climbs fantastic but again the light feeling in the front has not given me a lot of confidence on the decents. Overall I am enjoying the bike and at 16.5 lbs with pedals and cages it's lite. I hope that after I get more used to the handling that I can again decend with confidence I'll update this review in few more weeks.

Orbea (starship tubing) and Eddie Mercx Team SC

[Feb 08, 2003]
Cootha

OVERALL
Strength:

Acceleration and responsiveness!Great in the Hills. Incredibly light frame!

Wouldn't recomend this frame to heavy riders on heavily pot-holed roads!Encourages you to remain at a good weight!!

Love to ride this bike in the hills. Found it so responsive! Dissapointed however to find a crack around the drop out on the drive side. This area has many cut outs to save weight and the crack appeared on the bottom cut out.I was positive that I hadn't hit anything to major on the road! I weigh 70 kg (you do the conversion!)To Cinelli's credit a new frame came up from Sydney the next week! Hope it was a one off!