Cinelli Supercorsa Older Road Bike

Columbus Neuron frame, Columbus Neuron fork, Campagnolo Athena groupset, Cinelli Oyster stem, Cinelli Touch 2S bar, FIR SC 170 rims, Selcof team seatpost, FI’ZI:K Pavé saddle.

[Jan 30, 2012]
Joey Donnelly

OVERALL
Strength:

Columbus Neuron steel frame will last forever. Comfortable ride. Classic lines but accepting of all modern components including external BB and 11 speed rear hub.

Me.

Also - $$$ - Retail for entire bike would approach $7000. Could be riding carbon for half the "pounds per dollar" price.

Two words: Secret Weapon. I use it for hunting geeks (time trial bike riders) during training rides. I love passing strange carbon TT bike riders hunkered down on aerobars. This bike rides and handles beautifully on 20 mile "rest" days and 140 mile "all day" rides. This is the only road bike I have owned that sees 30 mph beneath me regularly. Jaw dropping to look at. Accelerates like a cheetah. Very stable at 25+ mph or cooling down in the park. This bike felt like part of me after only a few rides. After two years it can read my mind.

Nothing comes close. I thought my old Miyata alum/steel glued frame was sweet until I bought this bike. Soon gave the old bike away. Specialized S-Works road bike is much more tiring to ride long distances.

[Jan 04, 2009]
Olaf Stoutjesdijk

OVERALL
Strength:

Great Looks
Stiff
Comfortable

Not very light

Very beautiful frame. I have a model made in i think is 2003, with columbus DT15V tubings en Cinelli lugs. I got a shimano 105 groupset with mavic Cosmic Carbone wheels. Colours are silver and blue, the tubes are kind of carved, wich is very beautiful and make the frame more stiff, comfortable and light.

this is my first roadbike

[May 30, 2007]
Gary Fountain

OVERALL
Strength:

The essence of Italian craftsmanship. Over 20 years old and yet brilliant to ride. It will always remain desirable amongst informed cyclists.

The criterium geometry can be tiring as you have to watch the road and not ride into things. Then again, it keeps your mind on the bike. Centuries are out but a quick ride over a favourite course is always fun.

I have owned this bike since 1985. I purchased the China Blue frame and fitted it with the best Campagnolo had to offer - Super Record. Since then I have added equipment that I considered would complement the era and the frame.

The frame geometry is pure criterium. The seat tube angle is 74 degrees while the head tube angle is 75.5 degrees. You have to be alert when you ride it as it is very twitchy and very responsive. Even with this extreme geometry it remains totally dependable at any speed (you point it and it goes there.

The weight is 21 lbs which was very good for the era. Being a larger frame, it is built with the slightly thicker walled Columbus SPX tubeset, with Cinelli lugs of course. This makes the overall weight that much more impressive.

The 'Columbo' Cinelli's of the 1980's had varying quality reviews, but, I'm extremely happy with my particular frame's build quality and finish. The chrome is deep and the paint is lusterous. It still looks brand new.

It's the type of bike you can just admire for its beauty. It is still my one bike I just go and look at and I currently own 27 bikes.

I have Bianchi's, Colnago's, Olmo, Benotto and Alan Italian bikes of a similar era and spec.

[Feb 27, 2007]
2ndAveFlyer

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth, responsive frame with no wobbles, shimmy,or troublesome handling characteristics. Perfect balance in frame geometry; as stiff and tight as you can get and still be century comfortable. Chrome in perfect condition. No signs of stress or fatigue.

Yes; paint is chippy. No problems with seat binder bolt. Installed Phil Wood BB. Brakes a bit hard...probably my size.

Looking at the other reviews I'm pleased to see that everyone is enjoying their Cinelli. I have ridden about 10,000 miles on my frame over the past several years. I weigh about 210 lbs. and am over 6' tall. The frame is comfortable, quick, and responsive. It is utterly smooth and predictable on descents over 50 mph. It is a joy to ride.

I guess I am writing to warn buyers not to fall for all the hype in todays' sales market. This bike is perfect for anyone not racing or averaging over 20mph on their typical rides. To say that Neuron tubing is outdated is to be ignorant of what a complex and advanced product this is. Many custom builders have a small stockpile of this material for informed buyers who know what kind of ride they are looking for. Read up on the tubing if you are concerned that it may be little different from the water pipe at your local hardware store. It delivers a ride that is prized by all who take it for a spin on their favorite hills and chipseal.

Bianchi Eros, PX-10 Peugeot, Raphael Giminiani,

[Aug 22, 2006]
Pepe

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel frame, respects the past without living in it. Very stylish

It's not for everyone, but if you're looking to buy this bike, you're already past things people will criticise it for,l which you already know, and aren't worth mentioning

Bought it in February from GVH Bikes. The current guy running it, Tom, was very knowledgeable and friendly and I was able to build exactly the bike I wanted. It arrived well packed and exactly when promised. The steel frame makes for a very smooth, comfortable ride. Very stable on descents. It really is my preferred ride on longer excursions. A lot of people complain about the weight of steel. I have a 15 lb Orbea Orca and a 16lb Litespeed. Typically, I'm about .2 mph slower over the same routes on this bike (18-19 mph pace), which is negligible to me. No problem hanging with the same guys you normally would on the club ride. Granted if your racing you would want the lightest bike you can afford, but I'm past that. I get lots of compliments on this bike. Even people not into bikes find it striking. A true classic. Chorus Hubs laced to Mavic Open Pro Rims are bullet proof (perfectly true after 1300 miles on some pretty rough roads) and add to that classic look. The quill stem finishes it.

Litespeed Palmares, Trek 2300, Orbea Orca

[Mar 16, 2004]
tattootom

OVERALL
Strength:

Neuron steel, lugs, solid build, built for the long haul, stiff but still comfortable. No vibrations getting to my butt or hands!

none.

This bike is everything I thought it would be. It is very comfortable and stable. The looks are killer. I got the China Blue and it is an awesome paint job. Chrome lugs are beautiful. I've ridden it 100 miles in 4 days and it is a joy to ride. The Centaur group is great, I've upgraded from Mirage which I thought was fine for a first bike (put over 8,000 miles on it and it still works well). Much better stability in a sprint or downhill than my Bianchi Campione. I'm taking the same corners much more aggressively and maintaining a faster mph average on the same routes. My setup weighs 20.5 lbs., not bad for full steel & Centaur if you ask me. The seat binder bolt had to be replaced right away, stripped easily. Campy and Cinelli dropouts are a nice touch. The only disappointment in the build is I had to get a 3T stem, the Cinelli handlebars are 26.0 and all the Cinelli quill stems were 26.4! No bother, though, the 3T is light and feels nice and stiff. Cinelli Ergo 64 handlebars (non-anatomical bend) are great, they have a gun-metal blue color that somewhat matches the bike, very interesting. The saddle is a very pretty white Cinelli Volare SLX that has to go! Comfortable at first, but on a 3 hour ride it is much too thick, rubs the inner thighs something fierce, $30 on ebay so no big loss, impulse purchase I bought for the looks. San Marco Rolls saddle will be arriving soon!! I like the centaur pedals much better than the Look 206, smaller package but feels much more secure. All in all, I'm either riding it or wanting to ride it, and that's what matters!! Cinelli website lists the 2004 super corsa with a foco tube set and carve fork, which is carbon so if you want the real deal, act fast! My shop ordered it through Oschesner (sp?), but they are no longer importing the super corsa, so availability may be dwindling in the US!

Bianchi Campione

[Feb 22, 2003]
mike

OVERALL
Strength:

Tradition, handling--very stable and comfy, but ready to hammer--gorgeous, museum-quality aesthetics. Understated paint, brilliant design. The ride of a lifetime. Virtually every fitting on this bike is different from anything you've ever seen, but it all works. For instance, the elegant x-shaped seatstay bridge really does feel stiffer under hard braking.

this bike may be for the purist only. Very few people in this country have the background to appreciate what they're looking at. . . But who cares?

This is my favorite bike of all time. Superb ride, gorgeous aesthetics, all the snap and zing of a thoroughbred. There are only a few legendary Italian bikes like this (i.e., the Colnage Masterlight) you can still get. . . The Cinelli is a showcase for some of the most influential designs in all of cycling, such as the fully sloping crown, the fastback half-chromed seat cluster, the spoiler bb. Cino Cinelli invented all that stuff and more, mostly in the 40's and 50's. It all works, esp. in this version with the high-end Neuron tubeset, so you don't pay a price for the retro homage. It's lighter than most other lugged bikes, heavier than my Lightspeed, but it really makes me happy. . . Can't get enough of this marvellous frame.

Colnago Classic, Pogliaghi SL, Ciocc SLX, many other fine steel bikes.

[Feb 12, 2003]
Jim

OVERALL
Strength:

It disappears under you when you ride.

Can be considered somewhat heavy by today's standards.

The Cinelli Super Corsa is the definition of the Italian bicycle. In the CONI book "Cycling", you can find a picture of the Super Corsa in the description of "The Frame". Simple, beautiful, wholly rideable. Corners well, rides straight, accelerates confidently. Chrome is durable with the expectation of some dullness under the seat lug (current cancels so plating doesn't take well). Overall, one of the finest bicycles to own.

Frejus, Bianchi, Raleigh Team Professional.

[Jan 21, 2003]
Perry

OVERALL
Strength:

Stunning color, very unique. Unlike many other bikes, you dont see yourself coming and going. Chorus shifts so very nicely. Very comfortable all around.

The chrome flaked off the head tube lugs after only one month. Poor prep in the chroming process most likely. My shop contacted the US distributor and no questions asked, a new frame!. The seat binder bolt is the biggest weakness. The bolt is chrome, it poorly accepts a hex wrench and strips way too easily. I've used 3 so far and I had to drill one out already. I would dearly love to figure out a way around it.

Upgraded from a Raleigh Professional after 30 years. I've always loved steel frames--comfort, responsiveness, timeless.Cinelli offers one of the few steel lugged frames and they put out a usually consistent product. It's outfitted with 10 sp Chorus, Mavic open pro rims. Very comfortable on all conditions. Comfortable on climbs.

[Jun 13, 2002]
hiltobr

OVERALL
Strength:

Bunches....front loading Cinelli frog stem (swaps are just as easy as non-threated), great chrome, smooth as glass ride that only steel has ... and it won't break the bank. I always get at least one envious comment on rides - and you're riding something unique with instant name recognition. The Chorus group shifts like a dream - very sweet. I ordered mine in 'baby boomer' red. GVHbikes is also a great shop if you don't mind mail order. You can 'cherry pick' your components and see your frame on the web. Gary is great to work with and exchanges are no hassle. If you're not sure of stem lenght, opt for threadless to ease the exchange and reassembly. Great frame at a good price.

Not many if at all. The finish on the chorus group wasn't as good as the twelve year old finish on my chorus bianchi. I'll have to polish it up this winter. No mounting holes for a rear rack & no pump peg. Seat binder bolt is a little weird but it works. Cinellis are hard to find. GVH has 'em as does Lickton's and Bulltek. Cinelli is made in around eight colors but I've only seen 'boomer' red, a french blue, and traditional grey. The biggest weakness is my spelling which should be obvious...

Hmmmm... Where to begin. I needed to replace my 10 year old bianchi which had developed cracks in the head tube and I wanted a classic chrome lugged, chrome triangle steel bike which rapidly shrank the field down to less than a dozen frames. Gios didn't have a full triangle so it was eliminated; Everybody has a Colnago and I could do without the flashy-boy paint job; Torelli - I forget why I tossed them; etc, etc. I was left with Tommasini Tecno, Scarfacci & Cinelli SC. The final cut eliminated Scarfacci ( unknown quantity and uncertain delivery ) and the Tecno ( importer was wishy-washy about continuing the line ) which left the Cinelli. I ordered it from Gary at GVH bikes ( -->> Great service <<-- )with Campy Chorus 9 speed (I was moving up from a seven speed freewheel so nothing too radical, please..), Clinchers & white bar tape to match my SSM white Regal saddle. The bike arrived in two weeks and the setup consisted of installing my saddle, truing up the bars from the shipping configuration, attach my paddles and out the door. Plus I get to keep the box to ship out my old bike to get fixed and repainted. I also put together a second wheel set of tubies. It's been six months and the ride is superb. The only problems were that I miss guessed my stem lenght so Gary located a shorter stem ( Cinelli frog ) and sent it out in short order. Great bike and I'd recommend it to anyone...smooth and it won't beat you up over the long haul. Next year I'll try it on a brevet series.

Bianchi, Scarfacci, ...steel stuff...