Colnago C40 Older Road Bike

[Jun 08, 2020]
joecal

OVERALL
Strength:

Classic frame, beautiful, comfortable.

I have none

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2001
[Jun 17, 2018]
magikarp

OVERALL
Strength:

just beautiful... that paintjob,lugs classic and high performance

seatpost is 28mm... i cat get anything like that and it needs a stem adapter

2004
[Jun 30, 2004]
andylibby

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight comfort in a torsionally stiff frame. This bike is silky smooth, especially in comparison to the aluminum Dream that I rode for the past 4 years. The frame is so supple and forgiving that I have thought I must have a flat tire on more than one occasion when it was just the frame soaking up bumps and vibrations. This makes all the difference toward the end of 100 miles in the saddle. The geometry of this bike falls a little toward stability as opposed to razor-edge handling. That's okay with me because I love to crank out long distances with not so much emphasis on bobbing and weaving in a field sprint.

This bike didn't make my legs any stronger. Seriously, there aren't any shortcomings with this bike.

The C40 was my dream bike for about five years until I broke down and bought one. My local bike shop made me a deal I couldn't pass up on a complete bike with Record 10 speed and Bontrager Race-X-Lite wheels. This bike becomes my daily ride replacing a Colnago Dream Plus (which I still have) equipped with Ultegra and Rolf Sestriere wheels. I'm 50 years old and I wanted to get the bike of my dreams while I can enjoy it for the longest possible time. I ride with a local bike club and I need all the help I can get.

Colnago Dream Plus, Colnago Classic, Colnago MasterXLite, Trek 1220, Trek 5200, Trek 5900, Trek Madone, Calfee Luna Pro, Serotta Colorado II.

[Oct 09, 2003]
hfd217

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, Extremly comfortable, steering and control are razor sharp. Climbs as if by itself. Great paint and finsh TM38 colors.

Price but worth even more than the $3200 I paid

I bought a 57cm frame/fork/post/stem, and put my existing setup on the new frame. Great ride comfort even on the roughest roads. Climbs efortlessly (well, almost). Handling is quick, and precise. I rode a Merckx Coras 01 steel frame for 5.5 years, and loved it. Now I could not even consider retruning the the Merckx. My first long ride on my C-40HP was my first double century. I agree with all other reviews that say: "I wish I would have bought it sooner" and "don't wait to get on one of these"

several high quality steel road frames over the years, tested Trek 5900 and Lightspeed Classic

[Oct 01, 2003]
C40Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

The carbon frame is stiffer than steel yet offers a smoother ride. Due to the stiffness it climbs better than anything I have ever ridden. The paint job is unmatched. A real piece of art.

Short warranty period.

This is an AWESOME bike. I cannot say enough good things about it. I have riden steel frames and steel frames with carbon seat stays but they do not compare to the ride of the C40 HP.

Test rode a Trek 5900

[Jul 01, 2003]
Velojon

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, feel, awesome craftsmanship -- especially with the nude carbon and paint blends.

Proprietary seatpost size makes switching to a favorite post all but impossible unless you use shims.

Awesome bike. Not sure any bike is worth as much as a C40 costs, but if a bike is this is it. I actually thought I was pulling a slick move -- I purchased the bike from a reputable UK shop with full DA and Mavic Ksyrium SLs brand new for about $3k (before the dollar tanked against the Euro). Ended up costing me about $600 above that for shipping and customs. Still turned out to be a good deal, just not as good. Anyway, the bike is everything I could have hoped for. I have owned some of the very best bikes around (Litespeed Vortex, Trek OCLV, Cannondale CAAD 5, etc.) but have never felt like the bike was a part of me. The Vortex (IMO) felt to much like my aluminum frames. I know some people love aluminum and others would argue that Ti feels more like steel to them than aluminum, but this was my perception. Up until the Colnago, my Trek 5200 was my favorite. I decided to try a 2002 C40 when I saw this one at such a good price. When I saw it in person I fell in love with the worksmanship, but when I rode it for the first time (after the many micro-adjustments) I knew this was my baby. It rides like carbon but has this majical snappiness and response to it that I've never felt on any other bike. My first mountain bike was a steel frame about 15 years ago and I loved its feel. The C40 has the same feel only better and much lighter. The rig comes in at 16lbs and change (not much change) and climbs like a raped ape. If you decide to go exotic, I'd give the C40 a try. I have the B-Stay model. I have no idea how the new HPs are, but whether you are a fan of the chainstay triangle or not, I doubt it functionally feels a whole lot different than the pre-HPs (don't know for sure though).

Litespeed, Trek, Cannondale, Vitus, Specialized.

[May 08, 2003]
C40-96

OVERALL
Strength:

Fast, climbs like a scalded monkey and incredibly comfortable ride for such a responsive frame. Really nothing like it in my experiences. Best paint job in the business.

Limited Colnago warranty and who in the US wants to have their bike shipped to Italy for a repair. Poor rear triangle design at drop-out, see above. Should really have replaceable derailleur hanger. Corrosion of cable guides. Cost.

Bought bike 5 years ago used from a racer who was going under sponsorship. Over the years have had the pleasure to ride this dream bike which has become the one I turn to first when going out for a ride. It is fast, smooth, responsive and handles the nastiest descents with pleasure. I weigh in at about 165lbs and am 6'2" and have never had any problems with flex in the bottom bracket area(seems about perfect)something which I can not say for many other bikes I have ridden/owned. That being said, not all is rosy. The bike has had a consistent recuring problem with the rear triangle (this is a pre-b-stay bike). Specifically, the rear drop-outs at the male-female mating of the carbon chain stays to the dropout unit breakdown (epoxy joint actually fails) over time due to torsional stress. While the bike still rides fine, any extreme torsion (sprint) causes slight separation. Problem is due to both the male and female joining components (chainstay and dropout) being round therefore the geometry does little to prevent high torsional stress being relayed to the epoxy. Epoxy does not handle torsion well. Have had bike re-epoxied by carbon framebuilder Calfee who informed me that yes, this is an inherent design problem that he uncovered years ago in his own carbon frame building, thus he uses square male-female jointing to add geometric advantage to minimize torsional stress to epoxy. One other problem with C40 is that the cable guides, which are aluminium epoxied to the frame, do over time corrode so be sure to keep these clean and at some point you'll need to re-epoxy them. So, while I truly love this bike, can only give it 4's as it is very expensive to own and their warranty policy sucks (1yr for a $3000. frame?)

Own Derosa Primato and have ridden numerous road bikes from Look to Merck to Serotta.

[Apr 06, 2003]
herbert

OVERALL
Strength:

as mentioned top performance in all criteria: stiffness, softness, safety even on very fast downhill rides, nevertheless easy to control and manouvrable in critical situations; braking performance of carbon wheels with special brake pads no worse than alloy wheels; high attention effect!

it's tempting to have two of it. that's the only weakness i could think of...

i always rode a colnago (always black!) starting in the mid 80's with the Mexico (which i used on a coast to coast trip in the states = 3.500 miles in 4 weeks - no problem at all!). my third one now is the limited gold series of c 40 (only 400 built). bought it in june 2000 in switzerland when preparing for milan-san remo and visiting a bike shop to buy some socks (!). what was supposed to be a 10 euro shop stop turned out to be a 6,000 euro buy. afer they adjusted it to my proportions i left for a test ride of 120 km (75 miles) and felt as if i had never ridden another bike - even better because riding it - particular in the climbs and down the steep downhill stretches - was something special: breathtaking wrt stability, safety, softness and stiffness at the same time. all in all: the best performance in all criteria. everytime i exercise i try to find reasons why to take my c40 instead of the other bikes. on a windy i even rather replace the carbon wheels (with high rims) by campy's nucleon wheels in order not to miss my c40. it's only on flights that i take one of the other bikes because i could not stand if my c40 would get damaged because of careless treatment by airline ground staff. all in all it was a lot of money i payed - virtually by accident - but it's the best value i ever got!

colnago mexico, colnago conix master

[Mar 11, 2003]
Antonio

OVERALL
Strength:

A smooth bike that absorbs the bumps yet stays and feels solid through the frame and the sturdy forks. In a league of its own with amazing, sexy Italian looks. I'll let you know more in August when I get back from Italy.

Don't be silly, it doesn't know what weakness means.

I have only a few years experience on road racers previously I rode mountain bikes, but can only wish that I started years ago. I have owned and riden a couple of good quality bikes, Bianci, Ciocc and DeRosa, but the Colnago C40 with a Record Group-set and Neutron wheels , what a dream. I could never believe that a bike can feel so good when you're out riding in all road conditions even though I have only used it in mild winter conditions thus far (but my excitment got the better of me and I couldn't resist telling people how the bike feels). I can't wait to get to Italy this year to thrash it around the mountains near Salerno and try and chase the numerous local teams that go out riding daily. Maybe I'll submit another review and be in a better position to provide a more meaningful repsonse. I stared buying my bikes from Maestro about a year and a half ago and the set-up is always first class. In the past I bought my first racer from a small store (and I learnt a costly lesson) but had problems straight away with spokes, set-up, support etc etc. Mike has the experience and ability to set the thing up so you don't have to touch it once you get the bike delivered. He also provides excellent after sales support (though he doesn't have time for tyre kickers and isn't shy of speaking his mind ie. recent price fixing). Don't be shy of giving him a call and trying the mailorder route. As with other reviews, you want it good, you pay for it good and you Americans get a better deal than we do in Europe (the above Price is GB£). You only get what you pay for and I learnt that from the first racer I purchased. With my limited experince, this is easily the best ride I've ever had (sorry Linda, & Sue & Mary & etc)

Ciocc Challenger, DeRosa

[Jan 31, 2003]
Joel Gironella

OVERALL
Strength:

This frame is definitely the ultimate (may i steal this monicker from Litespeed). It is light, absorbs road shocks like no other and truly stiff in sprints. I sometimes have to check my tires if they are underinflated because it just feels like that! Smooth and silky are the best words to describe.

A bit pricey, but hey, who said that the best things in life are free? The reason you buy a PATEK is because its a PATEK, right?

I am a road racer with around 12 years of cycling experience and have gone thru a lot of frames in the past, but this i have to say takes the icing on the cake! I have the B-stay and purchased it from a friend who used it practically 4-5 times. Its not that he does'nt like it but i think he purchased it on a whim since he already has the c40 pre b-stay. As to the ride, my mates can definitely tell the difference in my speed whenever i'm on top of the c40. I also have a litespeed ultimate as my 2nd bike which i planned to use for most training rides but I have to say that when it comes time to choosing which bike to ride in the morning, the c40 just wins handsdown. You will never go wrong with it. It just begs to be ridden. At the same time, After reading Cyclesports Feb 03 article on the C40, i'm just really glad to own one.

Litespeed ultimate, colnago master xlight & conic slx, Guerciotti SLX,