Diamondback 1999 Expert Older Road Bike

1999 Diamondback Expert, road/sport, Shimano RSX components, Diamondback fork

[Nov 05, 1999]
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Nice, beginning bike, very comfortable

Heavy 24 pounds for a 58 cm

I like riding it when I'm unable to ride my mtn bike. Its a comfortable ride at a good price $400

[Mar 26, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

great bike at a great price that i would recomend buying. its a bike that you will like not the bike that you regreat buying

its heavy but not too much

its a great bike for everyone and it has a great feel to it and its not to bad to look at

[Jun 18, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

ride quality, value for the dollar (at least the frame, which is what I"m reviewing here), weight relative to price.

None so far, though headset and bottom bracket were no name items when I got it. To be expected though

The ottom line is I wanted a bike to ride comfortably on the road, when either it was too wet or too boring to ride the trails. This bike filled the bill. But I didn't want STI shifting (I hit the brakes when I shift), a triple chainring crank (I"m stronger than that) and generally upgraded components all around. So for the cost of the frame, it made it easy to build a budget bike that performs beyond my expectations.

So if you're looking for a bargain to save money and upgrade as you go, this would be an excellent choice in my opinion.

Oh, you'll notice that I"m only giving the bike a 4 rating on the overall. that is based on a stock model, not one with the upgrades.

buy it if you're on a budget or need an inexpensive commuter.

It's been 25 years since I've had a working road bike.

[Apr 22, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel Frame (I got a 1997 model)

Wierd Sizing

I bought the frame NOS from a small bike shop near San Antonio. Finished building it and took it out for a break in this past weekend. Steel frame is shock absorbing. A good quality steel frame, which is all I'm interested in. If you're into steel, try this one out, it's double butted (yet kinda on the heavy side), but with the right component mix, you'll get the right weight.

2000 Lemond Tourmalet

[Apr 30, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cheap price, decent components, comfortable position.

A little on the heavy side, goofy sizing(inches not cm), no clipless pedals, wheels are kinda cheap, seat too soft.

nice cheap, reliable ride. can go just as fast as the $4000 bikes the rich, middle aged guys with beer bellies buy. after the upgrades the total cost exceeds $1000, but you get to pick your own components. this bike is good for a weekend rider who needs a quality bike but on a budget.

cannondale r300, raleigh r500

[Aug 08, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike was being sold as a used rental that had very few miles on it. For the price I think it was the best deal I could afford for commuting purposes. The RSX equipment works flawlessy after the rear derailler exploded and was replaced for free. The color is great for me too. The geometry on the 25" model is perfect for a 6'2" guy with a 34 inseam.

Kind of heavy, and the stock wheels are being replaced with Mavic Open Roads. I found the wheels soft and have broken a few spokes on my commutes. I weigh 210 lbs.

If you can find this at the $400 price mark and want a reliable commuter-go for it. Easy to tune up and keep in running order

Nishiki