Fuji Bicycles 2001 Newest Older Road Bike

[Mar 26, 2006]

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame holds up well despite lack of stiffness for it's type.

Tiagra components

This was my first road bike, and at $750, it was a good price. The geometry is OK for me at best. I get a sore back using the drops too much, and I've played with the setup endlessly.

I've probably put in 4,000 miles on this bike, and ridden it in road races and triathlons. Tiagra components aren't great, but they are servicable. I've never had any problems beyond slipping gears when the cables and chain get stretched from too many miles.

The only weaknees is frame stiffness. I've gotten much stronger the last few years, and when I hammer on this bike, the back of my knees get sore. I put it on my trainer and was astonished to see how much flex there was in the bottom bracket. The torque is the problem. If you are looking for a cheap bike and ride consistently at speeds above 22MPH on flats, keep looking.

If this is your first road bike and the geometry fits you, you will be very happy with this bike.

N/A

[Jul 04, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light for the price (21.5 lbs.), cool two color paint job; good parts specs. for the money.

None so far. I will try to provide an update at the end of the season.

I would recommend this bike to newbies looking for their first ride, tri-guys and gals, first time racers who don't want to blow 2-4K just to see if they like racing, and rec. riders looking for a solid, well-appointed bike. The Tiagra parts group was a pleasant surprise, the finish is great and the components work, period! Shifts are nice and snappy, up or down, front or rear!
The frame feels lively spinning up a hill or hammering on the flat, it doesn't beat you up. Frame fit and finish is excellent for the price! Small ring is nice to have on the really long climbs that are abundant in the area. Mavic CXP11 rims are okay performers and the Michelin Bi-Axial Sport tires are durable but heavy. The only components I plan on upgrading in the short term will be wheels and tires.
Overall this bike is an excellent value for the money and should satisfy a diverse cross-section of riders.

MBK Grand Sprint,KHS Flite 800,Univega Modo Vincere