GT Bicycles Inc. 1999 ZR-1000 Older Road Bike

1999 GT ZR-1000, road race & triathlon, Shimano Dura-Ace components, GT Edge fork

[Jun 18, 2009]

OVERALL
Strength:

Climbing, speed, turning, EVERYTHING!

I just bought this bike, and I love it. I was a mountain/hybrid rider, but I am very glad I have gone over to road riding. The frame is very stiff and hard, but with each pedal stroke it puts the power where it needs to be, into the road. The frame is light for a metal frame, in my opinion, and the stiffness is a real benefit on climbs. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. As all the guys at Bicycle Heaven are great.

[Nov 26, 2001]
Malcolm

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff, light and responsive.

Those Ritchie wheelset.

I know that this review comes a little late, but I''ll write one anyway. The first thing that hit me when I threw my leg over the saddle was how slack the frame felt. It was really laid back to my Italian made Fausto Coppi Championissmo. The stiff alu frame gave me an instant response on torquing the pedals. The first few long rides were very fast, a good 2-3 km/p/hr faster. The light frame really made a difference in both short power climbs and also the longer gentler ones. No complains about the nice components- Sella Italia Carbon that dispelled numbness and all the other DA bits and pieces, EXCEPT the Ritchie Aero DS Wheels which had minimalist spokes with standard nipples. It almost cost me my life. In a sprint at 58 km/hr about 36.25 mph, 2 spokes decides to leave their nipples. After retightening the nipples with Locktite, they also came loose. I am back riding my heavier Spinergy carbon spokes.

Fausto Coppi Championissmo with Columbus Genius (by Mascargi)

[Feb 05, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness, finish.

weight, looks(I think the tripple triangle looks a little chunky), the weight of the fork.

It´s a stiff but somewhat heavy frame. It handles well and I belive it´s unbreakable. I have just bought a Principia Rex frame, and that´s a hit!!! It´s stiffer, much lighter and is equipped with a very good fork. Try it!!!

Bianchi, Fondriest, Pinarello.

[Jul 19, 1999]
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

light, stiff, cool droupouts

it is a little harsh, but hey its AL what can you expect.

This bike climbs like a monkey!! up up and away. It weighs 18.4 pounds with all Dura Ace and mavic open pro rims three cross spoke lacing F+R. I think the triple triangle design is a great idea for a road frame because it makes the rear triangle smaller, wich makes the bike stiffer for those realy hard efforts. Defintely worth the Money!

GT Ti road bike, full ultegra

[Sep 03, 1999]
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

Full Dura Ace
Good Price
Good handling
Top of the line parts

Tires could be better
Average weight frame

This is my first road bike. I've rode 600 miles in the past three week, and raced twice on it. It fits perfectly under me. Great deal.

GT Rage

[Aug 16, 1999]
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

light,stiff,light, it's a GT, light, looks cool, light, mmm...DURA ACE

ZERO!!! ITS aluminum so its a little rough but much more acceptable than many in its class

This thing is way light, stiff, fast and looks damn cool. The GT Edge carbon fork is at the top of its class(YES it is as good as those KESTREL forks everyone has) Its a good deal too, for all dura ace, a kickin' frame and fork for a hair under 3grand. I love this thing.

I work in a shop so Ive ridden it all- I KNOW THIS THING RULES!!!

[Oct 24, 1999]
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff

Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff Stiff

Colnago SL

[Apr 27, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

All the attributes of a quality race bike. Light, stiff and agile. I'm a bigger rider and this bike just will not yield when I stand on it. Great acceleration and climbing ability. Great fork and stiff bottom bracket area. Responsive handling.

None to speak of unless you like a cushy ride. Bike gives up a little comfort for a lot of speed. Saddle is stiff

If you want a bullet-proof race bike with great looks and a history of road racing success, look to GTs'flagship ZR1000. The bike is a bargain for full Dura-Ace and Easton tubing. One look at the tricked out shape of the down tube will show the cutting edge frame technology GT is famous for. Buy this bike!

Bianchi,Cannondale

[Nov 01, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, responsive, feels fast, outrageous looks.

The bike wasn't set up properly (probably GT's assembly fault), so I had to tighten the cranks and adjust a brake-lever.

THIS IS KICK ASS PRO RAING BIKE!!! Fast, stiff, light bike that climbs and sprints like its nobody's business, yet supple enough to ride centuries without the eventual discomfort normally associated with super-stiff alu frames (who needs carbon stays? Is it GT's triple triangle?). This is the bike that Andrej Tchmil won last year's World Cup on and is still used by the Lotto pro team for races like the Tour de France. I've ridden the best steel and titanium, and this 6061-T6 Easton tubing blows them away! I tend to crush bikes and I haven't broken this one yet...

Merckx 01, Litespeed Tuscany, MBK, Merida.

[Dec 06, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff (for big guys or crit riders)
Light
Responsive handling
Good OEM parts kit

Stiff (for small guys or long rides on rough roads)
I hope it was just my bike but mine was shipped with an incomplete BB (missing the inner ball bearing race; a plastic ring was in its' place!)
Wheels kept losing trueness until I Loctited the nips

This is one fast, quick handling bike. Not for the timid or the sensitive-of-rough-rides. The geometry is tight and quick. If you don't like to push the envelope in the corners or to sprint for primes, then maybe you should look into a different frame. In that case, you may want something a little more forgiving, with slacker head and seat tube angles.

However, if you do like to do crits and sprints and other fun things like that, this is a great bike. No flex I can notice in the BB or rear triangle. The Big One stem is as solid as the frame. I feel well connected to the bike and it responds to subtle and not-so-subtle steering inputs on a dime. Flick the bike and it moves.

One of the best things about this package is that it comes with some really nice parts in addition to the 9 spd DA. It has a Thomson seatpost, 2 bolt ITM Big One stem, good Mavic wheels (a teammate got a 2000 model with Mavic Classics straight-pull spoked wheels.) Basically race-ready out of the box.

You feel the road, sometimes too much, but it's not quite as harsh as my older R900. Maybe it's the triple triangle thing. Maybe it's slightly lighter gauge tubing, I'm not sure, but it works. I don't have any problems doing long rides (for me, 60-80 milers) but then I'm probably used to the feel of aluminum.

Cdale R900 (CAAD 3?) w/ 8 spd DA
Dean Ti Castanza 8 spd DA/Ultegra
Spinergy's, spoked training wheels, box section tubbies, etc.