GT Bicycles Inc. 1999 ZR-4000 Older Road Bike

1999 GT ZR-4000, road race & triathlon, Shimano RSX Triple components, Kinesis fork

[Oct 30, 2002]
padresp

OVERALL
Strength:

- Responsive - Decent cornering - Accelerates well - Light - Great deal for its price - Would be very good for a first bike, and could easily be raceable.

- Stiff (harsh) ride - It'll bounce ya around if you're light. - If you're looking into making it into a fixed-gear, it's tough cuz it's got vertical dropouts

I'm currently using the frame and fork for a single-speed (fixed-gear). I bought it used from a guy who'd obviously never really used it for $100! The steal of a lifetime.

Steel frames High-end frames

[Oct 18, 2001]
Gunkie

OVERALL
Strength:

Great components, lightweight frame, solid feel, outstanding price, low gear selection.

The aluminum frame will pass every small bump right up through the seat and into your a$$. (very minor, IMO)

What a great bike for the money. Rock solid on the steep, bumpy downhills typical for the Bucks County, PA rides I mostly do. The small front sprocket is a life saver on the corresponding steep upgrades following coveredbridge crossings and the aforementioned steep downhills. The ''triple-triangle'' aluminum frame makes for a very light bike compared to similar (and more expensive) steel framed bikes. Looks like everyone else got RSX components, I got the upgraded 105''s with mine ;) After 400 miles I can say that the seat is uncomfortable, but marginally useable. I will have my wife get me a new seat this Christmas. Overall: A great value for a first or second road bike. Excellent for beginner through intermediate riders. Experienced riders will have to upgrade too much to make this bike worth while to them.

I checked out other bikes in the $600-$1000+ price range: Cannondale, Bianchi, Panasonic, and one other(?). The GT was the lowest price model and gave me the best initial impression.

[Jun 22, 1999]
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent component combination for price.

seat is so hard it cuts right through you. replace it!

I'm an off-road singletrack rider, and I recently got into road riding... I love it just as much.I was looking for the best road bike I could get in the cheapo price range I was aiming for ($800-900), and I found it. I couldn't have asked for more! Aero everything (except frame), *skinny* (very skinny) tires, smooth operating RSX components (I didn't think they would be this good until I tried them), and a ride that is smoother than silk. After riding it for a couple months on fast hilly curvy roads, I took it on a road with a mile-long monster hill and topped 50 mph on it! I went past 50, and didn't feel a thing; it was like I was flying! I was fearing for my life, of course. No loss of control, no nothing... the speed didn't even phase it!It gave me a lot more than what I expected for an $830 bike.

Raleigh, Fuji

[Apr 02, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

RSX stuff
paint job
climber

CRAPPY seat!!

New to road bikes so I won't brag on the bike much. I definitly feel it was worth the money and I haven't seen any comparably priced bike I'd rather have. Only complaint is the super hard seat.

[Oct 02, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Looks (color and flat-out look of bike) Metallic Silver turns heads and looks better than almost anything I saw in the stores.

Seat (hard and uncomfortable).

Buying a road bike these days is almost as bad as making wedding plans. With the exception of bikes like Trek and Cannondale (who seem to be the primary road bikes that bike shops sell), if a bike shop doesn't carry a certain brand (i.e., GT) it seems as though any other brand other than the brand a particular shop sells, basically sucks. According to pretty much every bike shop I called. Which was ALOT!!!

I did not want to pay $1,000 for a road bike. I don't care if it weighs a pound or MAYBE 2 pounds lighter! Esentially, every bike I looked at seemed to weigh about the same. I got a GREAT deal on this bike. I must have made at least 50 phone calls all together and went into about 10 bike shops. I could not find a deal near this good anywhere. I probably got the last one in San Diego. Actually, I know where one other exact bike is but they wanted $130.00 more than what I paid.

I'm looking forward to riding alot very soon.

Looked at Raleigh R500. Basically the only other bike I could find in the price range I was looking for.

[May 16, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

light, stiff, great climber, decent components

stiff fork, uncomfortable seat, poorly assembled (may be fault of bike shop)

This is the first road bike I've purchased. I didn't want to spend more than $800. I've been very happy with how much bike I got for my money. The RSX components and clipless pedals have worked well. The front derailleur micro-adjust was stuck and the tension was not set correctly out of the shop. In forcing the chain into gear, I managed to break the plastic dust cover off the brake/shift lever. It's working better now that I have adjusted it properly. I also got a lot of flat tires when the bike was new, including a front tire blow out (fortunately at a low speed). Now that I've replaced the tubes myself, it's been better.

The aluminum frame and fork are very light and stiff. This is great for climbing, but it can make for a slower and less comfortable ride on rough pavement, especially with the stock seat.

I've riden the bike pretty hard, including a few centuries and a triathlon. It has held up great and is competitive with bikes costing much more. It's made me enjoy road riding enough to justify spending more on a bike. But why bother?

None. Tested Giant, Schwinn and Lemond in price range.