GT Bicycles Inc. 2000 ZR-4000 Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Road Mix components, Kinesis fork

[Mar 08, 2005]

OVERALL
Strength:

Seems to have a strong frame. Has good speed and balance.

I would like to replace the forks with a carbon to absorb more road shock.

Bought this bike from a friend and love it. It has been great so far. No issues. I am 6-1, 240lbs and it's holding up well.

Older model Univega Sport donated to me from a friend.

[Dec 15, 2003]
jppe

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good value. Great bike for getting started riding. Frame has held up very well with minimal maintenance.

Aluminum frame and chromoly fork is tough on rough roads. The seat! A little on the heavy side compared to other bikes today.

I have put 8000 miles on my GT and it has served me well. Tiagra shifters and 105 derailuers came on the bike and I upgraded to Ultegra about 3000 miles ago. I have had problems with the rear wheel's spoke clearance-- spokes hitting the rear derailuer. Otherwise has been very dependable.

GT is my first road bike.

[Aug 16, 2002]
george milne

OVERALL
Strength:

gotta love it for the money. 2000 model bought on sale in 2002. Light, durable. I am an old guy, age 63, 210 lbs. so far, perfect for me!

didn't like the seat. changed it out right away. Had to mess with the angle of the handle bars until the brakes felt comfortable. Put an extra layer of tape on em.

Rode it stock for short time - changed the seat to a more padded one, put on TIME pedels, softride flex stem, computer. Rides well. quick. whippy.

Shoot!...where to begin? 1957 Ideor Asso, Legnano, allegro, Brooks (from england) Bianchi, Specalilzed sport for touring, Bike E ( sucked )

[Oct 10, 2001]
Frank

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame

seat, wheelset

From what I can tell, most of GT''s road line uses the same frame with better component sets as you move up in price. This bike has a great frame, with marginal components. The seat''s terrible & needs replaced immediately. I broke spokes on the low end mavics & replaced them with a rolf vector wheelset. That done, it''s a great bike for my 30 mile daily commute & other recreational riding. I''m replacing the drive train to all shimano 105 double crankset this winter (triple is a waste here in New Jersey - it''s so flat). About the only thing I could wish for after that is a carbon fork. Bottom line - great frame, easily upgradeable to be a great bike without spending too much at once

GT ZR-3000, Trek 2000, Austro-Daimler SLE

[Apr 04, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Build quality. Level of components for the money. Looks.

Seat.

This is my first road bike in 16 years, so I wanted a quality bike, but something I could afford. The Schwinn didn't have the components I wanted, the Raleigh was $100 more, and the Univega looked cheap and thrown together. The GT just felt right from the moment I rode it. I have yet to put significant miles on the bike, so I will update this with more info in the next few months. So far I feel like I made the right choice.

Rode the Raleigh R600, Univega Modo Vivere, and Schwinn Super Sport before choosing the GT.

[Aug 10, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Do 80 to 100 mi. a week. No major problems.
Very reliable- durable.

Changed out original seat to specialized comp.
Blew a spoke so had bottom line mavics built w/
slightly heavier spokes. Have been trying to dump weight - presently at 23 lbs. W/ hollow core cranks may be able to drop another pound.

Love the Bike - was fortunate to purchase it. Has been a joy to ride - it scoots. Upgradeable frame that for a few extra dollars over a year add-ons you can have a cool
road bike and not break the bank for 2000 or 3000 $$$.