GT Bicycles Inc. 2001 ZR 2.0 Older Road Bike

[May 20, 2017]
Damian

OVERALL
Strength:

Full Ultegra
Super stiff frame
Comfortable
Superb handling
Fast!
Can be bought second hand for next to nothing.

Not as light as today's road bikes.

A lot of these reviews, whilst favourable, are a few years old now. This is a 2001 bike, and there have been many developments since then, so I thought I would do a review in 2017 and see how it fares 16 years on. It seems that, in the U.K at least, no one has heard of these bikes. Whilst that is a shame, it can work out very nicely for buyers as they sell for the sort of price which, if you bought new, would result in the dreaded "bike-shaped object" from large cycle super-stores. For a pittance (I bought mine in as-new condition for £225 off eBay!), you get a full Ultegra groupset and one of the best frames I have ever sat upon. My previous bike was a Cannondale Synapse alloy 105 which I loved and is renowned for its comfort, but not only is the GT almost as comfy, it is noticeably stiffer and more responsive.Out-of-the-saddle action is explosive. There is absolutely no flex nor any perceivable power loss when hammering down, yet somehow it is also very smooth over the frankly awful roads we have here in ol' Blighty.

It can't be considered light by today's standards, but to be fair, at 192lbs neither am I! But my fastest times by far have been on this bike, and I'm still unfit! Once I've shed my excess flab and gain fitness, I'm confident that this bike will fly! Even now, only a couple of guys have ever overtaken me on my hilly 10 mile commute and that's nothing to do with the bike- they are clearly much fitter than me! I love this bike- by far and away the best I have had, and I can see no reason why I would ever want to sell her for a new carbon one. If you see one of these going for a song on eBay, get it! You'll be just as fast as your friends on their £3000 carbon bikes, but you'll have a much healthier bank account!

Cannondale Synapse alloy 105.

[Jan 12, 2008]
Harold

OVERALL
Strength:

When maintained properly and not abused, this bike is as reliable as it gets. If you prefer aluminum frames over carbon (and yes...there are still some of us out there!), this ride will give you a fast, stiff ride.

At its current weight of 18lbs, this is not the lightest machine on the block. This, however, can be remedied by component upgrades.

I've had this bike for some time now and after continues upgrades over time, this bike has become like my favorite pair of jeans. When I climb aboard I know exactly what to expect. The frame is stiff yet comfortable, it's fast on the open roads, it corners like it's on rails and it makes the climbs seem easier every time.

Various road bikes, including GT Force.

[Sep 26, 2004]
Jacksonmw

OVERALL
Strength:

Great aluminum frame, strong, comfortable but still lite. As spec'd, the bike is an excellent entry point for some serious road riding/racing, even though more serious riders may prefer more expensive running gear.

None, especially given the price. One criticism is manufacterers trend toward down spec'ing bikes, highlighted by use of cs-53 chain (from tiagra group set) instead of the cs-70 from the 105 range.

This review is of the 2004 GT ZR 2.0. I am unsure whether US buyers have this bike available, as I am unable to get recent reviews on the bike after 2001. Firstly, the later bikes seem to have been down spec'ed, as this bike came with 105, while most people report Ultegra on earlier bikes. The bike has carbon forks, as expected, and also came with Mavic Cosmos wheelset, and some Ritchey gear (stem, Biomax bar etc). This is my first serious racer for a while, having bought my last bike in the Cromoly days. Feels very fast and responsive, solid construction and no flexing, even when out of the saddle and pushing hard. The new 105 is a nice group set, and the mavic wheels roll well and look good, as I'm a sucker for some flash stickers.

Older Peugoet cromoly bike from the '80s.

[Dec 31, 2002]
scott nelson

OVERALL
Strength:

Sprinting and climbing with no perceptible flex. Gotta be the best value available bar none. The design features of triple triangle and "S" shaped stays and fork seem to be functional in reducing flex. All tubes are oversized to the max, this could be considered overkill in design but not whe stomping out of the saddle.

This bike will spoil you. If you want a real quick, Twitchy feel you will find this handles a bit deliberate. The ultimately stiff ride may seem harsh after two or three hours. Too bad for you if this is a problem. A bit heavier than the latest superthin tubesets, but let it be known: The rider weight limit is not a factor with this much beef to the design.

The frame has total stiffness, sprints and climbs flawlessly. Handling is on the neutral side, seat tube set back is somewhat relaxed. Forks are stiff yet compliant. Get it from Chucks bikes, check him out I highly recommend him.

Steel old school bikes, italian and custom columbus slx, sl, sp, and OS tubesets.

[Oct 26, 2002]
Dwight Chambers

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff. Good for tall people. Lightweight and fast! With Dura Ace mine runs around 19 pounds... not bad for 58cm. Very nice looking too. Turns a few heads.

None!

My first quality road bike. Too bad GT doesn't make road frames anymore. They just look better. Bought the frame / fork for $295 from Chuck's Bikes on the web (easy to find in a search). Bike is larger than the size indicates. Some people may have to go down a size on this one. I was lucky... fit me perfect, although I had to go down on stem length.

[Jun 27, 2002]
Jeff Powell

OVERALL
Strength:

Ready to be ridden hard right out of the box or for a long day ride.

Have NOT found one.

Incredible ride as a stock bike. I went from a 1988 Cannondale SR500 to this screamin machine. It is very light and responsive under my six foot, 195 pound frame. The geometry fits me like a glove. I can go out for an hour hammer ride or just cruise along back country roads all day. I am a huge fan of GT's and had to get one of the remaining quality rides left by them. I have ridden GT's for about 10 years and the ZR is the best I own. Get one!

KHS 700,500, 1988 Cannondale SR500

[Feb 04, 2002]
skierjet

OVERALL
Strength:

Extremely light Frame/fork combo for a GT, - Great Graphics. Very stiff. Excellent fork included with the frame.

A bit bumpier than a bike with carbon, has a few rattles if not tuned and cabled just right.

Awesome value for the money. Twice the bike for the price. Bike is incredibly stiff horiz., but still is compliant over the bumps. Climbs and sprints predictibly with no flex. Comfortable enough for the centuries as well.

Cannondale CAD3 w/Ultegra, GT-Attack w/ultegra.

[Dec 14, 2001]
Elly

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stiff and surprisingly very light! Frame at 2.9lb. Beautiful fork. Great price

Toothpaste finish at the welds

Both the frame and fork from one place and built it up. The frame, fork and headset was going for $310. Stiffest bike I''''ve ever ridden, accelerates fast and climbs well.Nice colour and great decals.

Raceline Peleton, Giant TCR ONCE

[Nov 14, 2001]
steve kens

OVERALL
Strength:

light, stiff, handles great,does not flex when you hammer on it(good for climbing). rides pretty smooth for alum. why pay more for titanium.

may not be as smooth as ti, but if the roads rough the roads rough.

best bike I could find for the $. ultegra, cosmos wheels, good frame, carbon fork, michlen tires, and a cool lookin paint job. this bike rides just as harsh as other bikes I test rode.

test road lemond, univega, giant, airborne

[Oct 31, 2001]
agnerlich

OVERALL
Strength:

Good value for the price, good component group, smooth ride (!), great sprinter.

Rear tire only lasted 910 miles! Seems to be less of a climber then my old Schwinn?

Great bike, smoother ride then my Schwinn LeTour. Only time it seems to be rough is when there is a sudden change in the road surface, such as a ''bulging'' bridge expansion joint. The handlebar took a while to get used to, it seemed to be very ''hard'' when grabing it on the top. Otherwise the handlebar and tape are great! Rear tire wore out after only 910 miles (6''2", 215#). So far the wheels did not have to be trued. Great sprinter, but it feels like it does not climb as well as my old Schwinn. Had it for 3 months and after 1000+ miles it has been a great bike overall! The price I paid makes it all the better of a bike considering the Shimano Ultegra components

1987 Schwinn Le Tour