GT Bicycles Inc. 2001 ZR 4.0 Older Road Bike

[Jul 24, 2020]
mgoad

OVERALL
Strength:

It's a solid bike for someone on a budget or a beginner. I bought this in 2019, so the bike is nearly 20 years old at this point...with that being said I still thoroughly enjoy it. At this point I've replaced nearly everything on the bike, including major drivetrain components...so I really have no idea how this thing felt when it was new 20 years ago, but I can say it's probably better now after being rebuilt with modern components.

It's still woefully heavy by 2020 standards...in it's stock form it's ~25lbs (so says random internet research). My setup has it down to 21 lbs, which is still heavy. For me it's not a deal breaker, I plan to ride this bike out for a couple of years before I buy something new.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2001
[Jul 24, 2020]
mgoad

Strength:

It's woefully heavy by 2020 standards...in it's stock form it's ~25lbs (so says random internet research). My setup has it down to 21 lbs, which is still heavy. For me it's not a deal breaker, I plan to ride this bike out for a couple of years before I buy a new bike.

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2001
[Jan 06, 2002]
grimpeur

OVERALL
Strength:

Very good set up for the money, Tiagra shifters, 105 rear mech. Strong durable aluminium frame.

chainset, feels slightly sluggish up hills, a brighter paint scheme would help although the dark navy blue is beginning to grow on me.

Coming from a mountain biking background this was my first road bike. I shopped around with £500-£600 to spend and came away with this excellent bike for the bargain price of £550 (it normally retails at £750). For the money I paid this bike offered the best set of components compared to others on the market like the Giant OCR2 and allowed me to avoid the Shimano Sora STI shifters which are terrible. I would recommend this bike as a good first road bike for anyone getting into cycling or seeing the light and making the switch from off-road to on.

Giant OCR2

[Nov 26, 2001]
chris gibson

OVERALL
Strength:

Nimble, good handling, goes hellish fast downhill I can tell you... looks great; I use that 30 tooth ring more than I''d expected...

Lots of creaking noises under pressure, feels quite sluggisah climbing - and I use that 30 tooth ring more than I''d expected! Saddle is horrible but - so? change it!

Excellent value for under 500 UK pounds. Nice handling bike, good cornering even on poor surfaces, surprisingly good tyres. Climbing isn''t as good as I''d expected but that''s probably my weedy legs. Mine came as 27-speed which is a nice bonus.

Custom built Brian Rourke 531, custom built Venom/Sabre 753, old Dawes 531 training bike.

[Jun 28, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stylish paint/colour scheme. Reasonably priced. Good tire clearance.

Paint chips quite easily. A little on the heavy side. Aluminium fork.

As a novice/intermediate road bike, i think the ZR 4.0 delivers all that it promises to the aspiring road cyclist. It's slight heft should not bother most riders, except when climbing steep hills. That's where the triple chainring will be appreciated.

The crankset has a slight rattling problem that is hard to completely get rid of. The Tiagra front derailleur requires regular adjusment, depending on how often you ride (you'll know it's time to do some tweaking when the chain has trouble shifting to larger gears and/or falls off on the bottom bracket side).

The aluminium fork doesn't provide a very comfortable ride over bumpy roads, but neither does it make for an overly harsh ride. There is also ample tire clearance. Once in a while, on climbs, there are creaks emanating from the fork/headset area, something i have not been able to figure out.

Saddle-wise, on anything more than a short spin around the block, i don't think the Selle Italia XO is sufficiently comfortable. The bike also comes with Ritchey Logic mtb-type pedals.

I feel this bike is race-able, but only with some serious upgrades to lighter components and wheelsets. However, if you're a recreational rider who wants an affordable bike to cycle several times a week on to stay fit and purely for the enjoyment of cycling, then this pretty affordable bike delivers.

Test ridden a Giant TCR Team and a GT ZR 3.0.