Kestrel 200 EMS Older Road Bike

2.6-pound EMS frame with 700c EMS fork.

• 200EMS w/ EMS carbon fork in black or white @ $2150
  • 200EMS w/ EMS carbon fork in ruby, clear or amber weave @ $2350

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 28, 2019]
    JnRyan

OVERALL
    Strength:

VERY smooth riding bike. Even though it runs on 700x23C tires it is still a smooth fast bike. Great bike on flat ground that you can ride a hundred miles on. But almost everything in our area is FLAT, so it is a great bike for this area.

Not the stiffest bike out there, but it is a 20+ year old design and material. Not a sprinters or climbers bike.

Price Paid:
    Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    1997
    [Feb 22, 2008]
    Pedro

OVERALL
    Strength:

GEOMETRY! The ride is smooth. Fram eis stiff

Company is under new ownership in Pensylvania.

Best Bike Hands Down.

Trek Madone, 200Sci, Scott CR1, Coppi Aluminum Galaxy

[Nov 02, 2003]
    andrew

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooth ride; crystal ruby clear coat over carbon weave; terrific power transfer; fearless handling.

Finish doesn't chip as fast as my old 200 (1991), but still chips.

Went from Alum Javelin w/Trek carbon fork, which was a very solid bike, to Kestrel 200 EMS frame and fork and Dura Ace gruppo. The steep geometry lets the 200 EMS handle like a jet fighter, but it's not so steep that it's "twitchy." The power transfer is so flawless that when you stomp on the pedals you are wondering if the bike will shoot out from between your legs and maim a spectator. Despite the stiffness, the road chatter is almost nil since the carbon absorbs the lesser bumps. The unspoken benefit to this is the improvement to handling b/c your tires stick to the road better. I live in Colorado and comparing the downhill handling of the Kestrel to other bikes on the same course makes the differences obvious. It's the same theory as full suspension mtbike. This is the bike for riding both crits or 4 hour road races.

Kestrel 200, Klein Quantum 2, Javelin Lobo, Litespeed Classic.

[Jan 13, 2002]
    KestrelDave

OVERALL
    Strength:

Customer service is slow but more than fair. I bought the bike in 1992 and in the summer of 2001 the seat tube binder broke. Because of the lifetime warranty, the entire frame and fork was replaced (the design was changed in in the mid-90''s--no need to worry). However, it took a full month to get the replacement.

None except for price.

I love this bike. It is truly a dream machine. The ride is smooth. The bike is light.

[Jul 15, 2001]
    Anthony

OVERALL
    Strength:

Extremely light. Very stable. Stiff. Smooth. Beautiful.

Even though it's lighter, the larger bulk of the frame (compared to my steel) makes it seem less manoeuverable on climbs & sprints. I'm fairly sure I'll get over it in time, so it's not really a product weakness.

I really did my homework on this one (I'm not made of gold, so the price was a major issue & I'm a librarian, which means I'm obsessive about the details). I made the right choice. Road buzz from aluminum & steel (even 853- which my other bike is) wore me down after a while- though I didn't notice. My 30+ daily rides & 70+ week-enders are less taxing. & the little things: like when I hammer down. Instead of hearing a metallic clank I hear a soft thud. I like that- as if all of my energy is going toward propelling the bicycle. My average speed has gone from 18.5 to hovering just under 20. A caveat: I purchased complete w/ Spinergy SPOX & carbon post. These reduce road vibrations also, so a standard setup might not be quite so muted. Truly bottom line: I love this bike. It's like riding a dream. If you can find it in your heart to spend tons of money on a bicycle, this is definately worth taking for a test ride for an afternoon.

Trek 5200 (pretty nice), KHS Aero (my second bike), Trek 1200 (a terrible mistake)

[Jun 16, 2000]
    Greg

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, stiff, quick handling and mutes road shock. Good attention to detail and frame finish.

Price, but it is a get what you pay for world, isn't it?

I bought this as my take no substitutes dream bike and it is. Not sure of total bike weight, but I would guess under 18 lbs.. The light weight really makes climbing a different (read easier) experience. The more I ride this bike the more I like it. In fact, I still ride my Al bike just so that I continue to appreciate the difference when I get on the Kestrel. Hey, if this is as bad as the symtoms get then I'm OK right? Right? Right? Aw come on!
    In my opinion this is a good bike to buy if you like the general ride quality of aluminum, but not the harsh characteristics. You may not like it if you are partial to the springy qualities of steel and titanium. As for racing I read a quote from Greg LeMond where he said that he trained on everything, but he raced carbon. Don't know if that was true or not.

Trek 5500 OCLV

[Jul 08, 2000]
    Josh

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight, absorbs shock, great feel, good looks, aerodynamic

expensive

You can stop the research right here. I already did
    it, tried all the bikes, and the kestrel was definitely the best out of all of them. The titanium bikes were nice too, but didn't absorb the shock like the carbon fiber. It's pricy, but worth it. It also comes with a lifetime guarantee if something goes wrong.

carbon trek, merlin, litespeed, cannondale

[Aug 01, 2000]
    Franka Villarreal

OVERALL
    Strength:

EMS 200 is astetically eye appealing. The craftmanship is exceptional. Compared bike to the top end Trek and Lightspeed bikes. In "Bang for the Buck", Kestrel was my choice. The warrantee and replacement program were key to the decision. The bike is very responsive and absorbs vibrations well. On cobblestone, there is some transfer of energy to the handlebars and seat that are best resolved by standing on the pedals slightly. Very nice on sprints and uphill climbs. Holds together well on downhill as well (no oscillation felt at speeds down hill to 45 MPH) Very impressed with the Kestrel customer service department. I purchased a last model in the stoor and did not receive an operations manual. The company was notified via the internet and responded within a week and sent the user's package to include a bottle of finishing paint.

A bit "pricey". Was a hard choice between Trek and Kestrel. Kestrel won out with design and color scheme simplicity.

Wow! Consider this bike a keeper. Plan on passing down to a family member. This bike rides like smooth glass. Only noises are the "clink" during shifts and the tire noise. As far as acceleration, the lightness definitly becomes a factor. Very responsive in cornering. The limit in manuvering is related not to the bike but.. my willingness to risk.

The eye appeal of the bike is exceptional. The Clear Ruby finish is something... especially in the bright light. The distinguishing KESTREL lettering is very simplistic in appearance. Multi-tone colors are not required in making a statement. As for the ride, this bike is not just a period at the end of a sentence. It is better expressed as an exclamation point! Espcially through a view of the rider's elbows and rear wheel when passing. I like the look in a rider's jaw upon being passed expressing that, "What the hell was that?" look accompanied by a shake of the head. (And sometimes one audible word at high speeds..."Damn!"

Who should buy it? Anyone that likes lightning response, smoothe rides,and really enjoys the sound of tire noise hissing on hot pavement.

Trek 5500. Too much Team USA advertisement. Prefer quality that speaks for itself.

[Dec 17, 2000]
    Eric

OVERALL
    Strength:

Lightweight comfortable frame. Great looking.

This is a great bike. Predictable handling and a smooth ride. Carbon ride took a little gettting used to, but from my experience, beats ti hands down.

If your looking for the best light wieght bike you can buy, this was it for the longest time. (This bike is no longer being made. Kestrel has replaced it with the 300 EMS new for 2001. It's even lighter.)

I just had my frame repainted by Kestrel and their customer service was excellent.

First Carbon Bike

[Mar 21, 2001]
    Andy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Strength thru the B/B is wonderful. When you stamp on the bike it goes and goes. Smooth ride. Positive steering. I love it

None that I've found so far. Although I have crashed this bike 4 times in 2 years :-}

If you have the money and want the indulgence, go for a Kestrel, I guarantee you won't be disappointed. Sure, it's a posers bike but it's nice to have something between your legs that doesn't complain when you push it - and it comes back for more.