Kestrel 200 SCi Older Road Bike

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 06, 2020]
    wwmagie

OVERALL
    Strength:

I just aired up the tires on my Kestral and went for a ride! I’m 74 now and not riding much. My first thought, “ this is the finest, most comfortable, fastest bicycle I’ve ever owned!! I was Dr Bob Breedlove’s crew chief for years and he owned it first! If ya want to google “ Outside Wrecked”

Paint chips- so what

Purchased:
    Used
    Model Year:
    1995
    [Mar 25, 2014]
    phil

OVERALL
    Strength:

stiffness, looks, pedigree.& the straight top tube which is different these days !
    Top of the game when 1st produced in my opinion, Still holds it today, not many around ,so got that head turning capability still.

Paint , thats about it really, does chip & goes dull a bit too easily !
    (see below re possible 'should I re-paint' her ) appreciate the opinions on that

I'd read all these comments & saw one for sale ... so with the see-one-buy-it in my memory - bought it ! £125.GBP / $180 ish
    PLUS >>>> Anyone think I've committed a criminal act in fitting mine with Campag kit? - build it from frame up ,so always (nearly always ) had Campagnolo, & had all the bits seems to go fine & looks the part , but in the back of my mind ,I'm thinking ~ I'm in the 1% without shimano ?? any thoughts or honest comments welcome.
    One last Q to you all out there ... If I repaint this same as factory colours ,& even with proper decals back on
    it , who thinks it would be de valued ? or is it a who cares issue ? cheers folks

[Oct 07, 2012]
    sid

OVERALL
    Strength:

Believe it or not, I bought this bike for $100 from a friend. I currently have a two Specialized full carbon bikes that cost between $2,500 and $3,000 and I like this bike best. Of course I changed out the components to some used 105's I had hanging around the garage and replaced the fork to replace that questionable headset. Now this bike is so smooth and blows the Specialized bikes away in the corners. IF someone offered me real money for my bike, I would say forget it!

Yeah the paint chips... so what... get some touch up from the local auto store!

Love this bike

Specialized

[Jan 10, 2011]
    shopgirlslc

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light

Extremely light! Durable and comfortable

[Nov 09, 2009]

OVERALL
    Strength:

Smooth ride, dampens road shock. Timeless styling.

I had a problem with the rear drop out after a few crashes. The factory eventually replaced the frame for me. No more problems since.

I purchased this bike new in 1989. It was ahead of its time then, and now is still the standard other frames are measured by. Sure there are flashier models out there, but this was the original. It truly rides like a dream and I can vouch for it's durability. This is the design that changed the direction for modern cycling.

[Oct 15, 2007]
    Ross Hunsinger

OVERALL
    Strength:

Sexy, Sexy, Sexy. Competitively lightweight for the price. Unique looking in a field of Madones and other silly bikes. Eats road shock like a gas loaded shock.

Not the newest, lightest thing on the market. Paint. Came with a somewhat lame Steering Quill which could be much lighter and have less history of catastrophic failure...

Holy wow, this is a fantastic bike. I spent loads of time researching and testing every new, top of the line carbon road bike out there (Lemond, Trek, Orbea, Fuji, Felt, Giant, KHS, Bianchi, etc.) and when it comes down to it, this bad boy rolls with the best of them.

With full Dura Ace all the way around, there's no question that it's a quality piece of gear. There are drawbacks, but they're so minor (paint, seat tube stop is strange, etc.) that I consider them to be idiosyncrasies (I am a huge Peugeot fan too, so idiosyncrasies are alright by me). If you find one of these, buy it immediately with no questions asked- just be prepared to enjoy yourself immensely.

Trek Madone 5.9 SL, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Orca, Lemond Tete' de Course, Litespeed, Bianchi, etc.

[Mar 29, 2007]
    Andy

OVERALL
    Strength:

Light, stiff and eats road shock.

None.

A superb machine. The frame technology used is only now widely seen. Buy one if you find one for sale!

[Mar 19, 2007]
    Jun Q

OVERALL
    Strength:

comfortable, good climber, still gets attention from other cyclists.

it's not the latest and greatest model.

The carbon bike I wanted other than the Madonne. I was riding a Trek 2200 before I bought this online then swapped all the components. All DA except for the crankset which is Ultegra triple. Logged about 1500 miles since I got it. Installed an Easton EC70 carbon handle bar, replaced the fork with LOOK HSC (it had a Performance brand carbon fork), and a Bontrager carbon/alum. stem. Original owner took good care of the frame. It had a couple of cable rubs, which I was able to get rid off using a little elbow grease and my magic wax that I also use on my cars :) I scratched an area of the top tube; emailed Kestrel in Santa Cruz and asked where I can buy the black touch up paint, they asked for my mailing address and sent me one for free. That's service.

Trek Madonne, Vellum cycles

[Jan 16, 2006]
    rubbertoes

OVERALL
    Strength:

It's red in that Ferrari red sort of way. Still looks great going into its tenth year. Durable. Good customer service. The bottom bracket shell loosened in the second year. It was replaced with a new design and while they had it they replaced the seat binder sleeve with an improved design even there was no problem with that.

old style headset, I have to use an adapter to use current stems. A bit heavy by current standards.

I have been riding this bike for the last nine years. I am on my second set of components. I rode Campy Chorus 8 speed for seven years and felt no need to replace the frame as nothing else seemed worth it. I upgraded to Chrus 10speed and reduced the weight by about 2 lbs.I keep stuff a long time and this has held up very well. It even survived a 40mph crash while I did not (shattered ankle). It sprints well, climbs well and absorbs road shock. The combination of traditional wheels and the carbon frame and titanium saddle and post make for a very plush ride. I have rarely if ever felt beat up after riding this bike. I rarely get enough time to take a ride long enough to do that. This bike was so far ahead of the curve that I think the Europeans took about six to seven years to catch up. Funny thing, last year I was on a large group ride with C50,s BMC's, Pinarellos, Madones, Merlins, Seven's, etc and one of the other riders commented during a rest stop that my bike was the best looking bike in the group. I think he was sincere. Comments like that certainly help cure the bug to get something new.

Bob Jackson Grand Prix retired with about 60,000 miles, Trek Aluminum 1000, RRB steel (nice local frame, my son rides it now), test rode Trek 5200, Litespeed Classic, Klein Quantum.

[Feb 08, 2005]

OVERALL
    Strength:

smooth, responsive, sharp looking (for a hi-tech)

paint

First hi-tech bike i purchased after some 30 years on a '72 Hetchins. After riding her some 2K km I found this bike to be very smooth, it absorbs the road and reduces fatigue over long journeys. Hope to stick around long enough to enjoy riding her for another 20K.

Allegro, Bianchi, Hetchins