KHS Inc. 1999 Aero Comp Older Road Bike

1999 KHS Aero Comp, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Advance FK4-3 fork

[Sep 11, 2003]
indiomonk

OVERALL
Strength:

Strengths are the stiff steel BUILT frame and carbon fork.

Seems like the clear coat chips easy.

Man, I bought this Frame early 2003 it is a 99 Aero Comp that has been hanging unused and un built. I had it built up with my old Ultegra group and then added some TRICK 2003 Bontrager RACE X LITES.. yes the ones that have been pulled from the shelf due to Mavics Lawsuit. This bike ROCKS it STIFF and just feels like a well balanced machine. Mine is a 53cm and fits like a glove.

TEAM Fuji and an old Beatis.

[Apr 01, 2003]
bproh20

OVERALL
Strength:

Handeled well and had great geometry that fit me like a glove. 6'1 with long arms and legs.

Steel that breaks and bad paint.

I bought the bike new in 1999, stored it like a fine wine for 3 years while I road my other bike. When I finally started riding her, it was great until out on a group ride one night. I was involved in a crash and cracked my 853 Reynolds in two spots. I was surprised that steel could break so easily. Until then though, the bike was a great ride. Obviously stiff and very tight.

Specialized Allez, Cannondale CAAD 3, Miyata

[Jun 13, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Best bike I found for the buck. Sweet ride, great components

none that I can think of except the seat that came on it is a ball buster

awesome bike for $1100, I still have yet to find a better deal for a new bike.

lemond, trek, cannandale,

[Jun 11, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

A lot of bike for the money. Good frame and excellent components.

None. However, some might find the frame, fork and seat post to be too utilitarian/ordinary

This TIG welded Reynolds 853 (main triangle) frame, with Advanced Composites aero bladed carbon fiber fork, Shimano Ultegra 9spd STI triple group, and Mavic Open Pro clincher rims is a keeper. A great bicycle at a great price ($1140)! It isn’t a as flashy as other bikes but, most importantly (to me), it has a sweet, truly wonderful ride.

Schwinn, Trek, Colnago, Romic and Specialized

[Jun 08, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Fantastic ride quality. Purchased as a frameset, and built-up with Ultegra. Bang for the buck, best deal around. bought the frame and fork for $370 delivered.

Paint seems to scratch easily.

853 on a Huffy budget.

[Jul 23, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Well designed package. Real value for the dollar. Very sweet ride, especially on long tours.

Paint is poorly applied (scratches and comes off easily - needs to be applied differently). Seat is uncomfortable, and headset comes loose too often.

If you are looking for a lot of bike for little money (compared to other bikes in the same category), then this is a no-brainer. Unfortunately for me I don't have lots of denero's to throw around, and when I looked for a new racing machine, this is the one that grabbed me, and I have not been let down. Others at the start line look at the KHS and give me a nod in acceptance on a truly great bike, and when it weighs less than their aluminum jobs, then all the better! Get it and enjoy!

Specialized, Gary Fisher, Trek, Klein

[Oct 03, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price, Frame, Geometry, Overall Ride

Seat, Tires

Great Value !!! Unfortunately gary does not have any more, but I think the flite 800 is a similar ride. Gary is great to deal with I emailed him for weeks with questions and he was always quick with a response and answers. Great ride for 1200 bucks, carbon fork, great deal for any fast recreational rider, or anyone who is looking for a good frame, great componets and easy on the wallet. The seat may need replacing but other than that everything is perfect.

[Jan 02, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality

Paint, decal quality

This is the best deal I found during a thorough search for a comfortable, long distance road bike that is perfect for group rides and can deliver during my occasional racer fantasies. The ride of the 853 steel frame and carbon fork beat every other bike I tried in the $1,000-$1,500 price range, in my opinion. The Mavic Open Pro wheels are still smooth and true after a thousand miles of often rough roads. I feel the paint and decal quality is not nearly as nice as my Schwinn Super Sport, which cost half as much, but that concern disappears on the road. Sweet ride!

Too many to list

[May 22, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Great bike. While I was waiting for my Klein to be
rebuilt I actually raced on it.
It is my training bike, purchased in that roll due to "comfort of steel" and value for money.

Paint job, very thin and stratches easily, also rubs easily so need to be careful with cables. I put some pre-glued patches on frame where cables touch.(steerer head, top tube where brake casing touches.

Bike weighs just under 10Kg's, which is just great for
training. I did use it for racing 2 twice, in hills and still scored results, but I did have my Ksyriums on
however, :-). The bike is fantastic for its role, training
bike, almost as good as the Klein in a corner, and I spend
about about 16hours/week in the saddle, 48 weeks of the
year. Great value for money, but I'll stick to Alloy
for racing.

KHS is a good entry level racing bike their 2001 Flite 1000
with DuraACE is a fantastic top level racing bike, and
yes I have ridden one. Good value for money.

Klein, my current racing bike

[May 08, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Value, Value, Value. Rides like a rocket, nice and smooth.

None with the bike, I opted for cheap clipless pedals when I bought the bike, as I had never used them before.

Not the bike for you if your looking for an ego boost based on brand recognition, but if you can find one, buy it. Yeah, the frame is steel and not as light as others, but compare the price and the Ultegra components to the 105's you get on the aluminum bikes costing $200 - $300 more.

tried the Bianci, Trek, Cannondale, and Specialized. Rode an old Schwinn Super Sport.