Klein Bicycle Corporation 1999 Quantum Race T Older Road Bike

1999 Klein Quantum Race T, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra Triple components, ICON Air Rail SRG fork

[Jul 24, 1999]
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame geometry
Rolf Vector Comp wheels
Ultegra triple
Color & weight

Pave saddle - a trifle on the thin side

I traded in my 98 Stage for this bike. While the Stage was designed for more comfort during long distances, the quantum is built for racing. It is more responsive, quicker on the turn, and much easier on the climb, but yes, less comfortable on those long stretches. The race abilities are somewhat compromised by the Ultegra triple, but for me, this is a life saver - especially on long climbs, which I love. The slight discomfort during long distance rides might be partially solved by replacing the saddle, though I haven't tried this yet. The triple crank and 9 spd cassette take some fine tuning, but then they work in tandem like a charm. The bike geometry places you slightly forward (relative to the Stage), which takes some getting used to, but is easier on the hands and neck. On several occasions I have noted that great bikes recieve low gradings due to poor service of the LBS. In this case, the service of my LBS is just as great as the bike. Enough said, this bike is great.

Trek 2200
Klein Stage Comp

[Jan 18, 2000]
Cross Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame: strength, rigidity, finish. Ride: stability, exceptional cornering. Power transfer: Unbelievable.

You're gonna feel a few bumps you might have missed before. Okay, more than a few. Big deal.

This is a truly exceptional machine. Everybody has heard the knocks against aluminum frames, about the ride being too harsh, and I was no exception. When I purchased this bike, I was actually looking first at the Trek 5200 and second at a steel Serotta. I demo'ed both of them and was THIS CLOSE to buying the Trek when the sales guy, a weekend racer, innocently suggested I try the Klein. One 30-minute ride and I was hooked. I have ridden a long time (I'm 48), owned a lot of good-to-excellent quality bikes, and I have never ridden anything quite like this one. You THINK about stepping on the pedals, and this thing is gone. And the ride: yeah, it is not as smooth as some steel frames, but it is far from uncomfortable, and I'll take the benefits of exceptional frame rigidity over the very slight discomfort any day. I rode the Bicycle Tour of Colorado on this bike this year--468 miles in seven days with 26,900 feet of climbing--and loved every minute of it. The bike is incredibly stable at speed--there were some serious downhills on the Colorado route, many of them twistier than a grapevine--and this bike took all of it with aplomb. And climbing: You have to ride it to believe it. If there is any energy wasted between your legs and the rear wheel, I haven't suspected it.

Get over the crap about the too-stiff aluminum ride. It may be true of other aluminum frames--I really don't know--but it is NOT true of this aluminum frame. If I ever have to buy another bike, and I don't think I will, I will buy another one of these. Hats off to you, Gary Klein. This is a superb product.

First serious aluminum frame. I have always had steel frames prior to this one. I ain't going back.