Klein Bicycle Corporation 1999 Quantum Race Older Road Bike

1999 Klein Quantum Race, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, ICON Air Rail SRG fork

[Sep 11, 2003]
Lance McElhaney

OVERALL
Strength:

responsiveness, looks, light weight

paint chips easily

Solid bike. A bit harsh in the rear end. I've softened the ride by going to Spinergy Xaero wheels, which has helped. Paint job is gorgeous but chips easily. I've owned Cannondale and Trek aluminums and prefer the Klein, though my next bike will be a carbon to help me age more comfortably.

Trek and Cannondale

[Apr 22, 2003]
John

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, comfortable, efficient, stable, great handling, fast as hell, very durable, and good looking too

none so far...couldnt be happier really.

WOW...what a surprise. I was busy a few months ago looking for a nice high end STEEL bike since it has been a number of years since I have ridden and I always felt much more comfortable on steel. I stumbled across a lightly used quantum race at a very reasonable price and even though I swore to never buy an aluminum road bike...I took it for a ride and then took it home (and never regretted it since). I am 33, 6'2", and currently 240 lbs. (can you say clydesdale?...I am usually 200). I am really happy with this bike, as soon as I got it I ditched the aluminum front fork that was annoying and grabbed a carbon/threadless combo. which lightened this already featherlight bike ridiculously. I have never been a weight weenie (remember I preferred steel)...this bike has me seeing the light for two reasons #1 the light weight and stiff chainstays have made climbs I couldnt make when I was 23 possible (no kidding this bike climbs like a goat!)and to my surprise #2 this thing is COMFORTABLE!...it could be cause I am a big guy as I have read in other reviews but have spoken to many lighter riders who believe that this is probably both one of the most efficient (stiff) frames ever, and yet still somehow compliant, and comfy without being at all squishy. I grabbed supergos dura ace/mavic open pro wheelset and this thing flys. This bike makes me believe that the stereotypes about aluminum may only apply to cheaper mass produced frames and with a million mile warranty ...no worrys. I would enthusiastically recommend this bike to anyone especially heavier riders because of my experience with it. Great handling (very stable at high speed), superlight, efficient(every pedal stroke goes straight to the ground), comfortable, and durable. I havent ridden EVERY aluminum bike but for what I paid and how I feel if I ever need another road bike it will be a Klein. Thank you Mr. Klein for an excellent product.

cannondale, giant, torrelli, kona, bridgestone, etc. etc.

[Nov 08, 2001]
Andrew

OVERALL
Strength:

Light weight Speed bump absorption (not something i''d expect to feel after riding a long travel bike for the past few years)

keeps me from doing homework and sleeping

I come from a freeride/xc mountain background, and this is my first road bike. It is so smooth, fast and comfortable, training is a lot more enjoyable without the sound (and feel) of knobbies. I''m 6'' and ride a 57cm which fits like a glove. First time i clipped in, i felt completely at home. Overall.. great bike. (and i even like the color)

Tested Bianchi Veloce, C''dale R600 and Trek 5200.

[Apr 01, 1999]
Weekend Warrior

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light, stiff, yet super comfortable.
Beutuful paint finish, nice overall work.

None yet.

Simply, an exciting bike to ride. Feather-light, responsive, but at the same time gives an easy ride. The paint finish and the concealed cable guides are just eye-popping.
I'd give 100 points for this work of art and technology.

Cannondale

[Apr 01, 1999]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very light; excellent workmanship, good design.

`99 model has too many decals (transfers) - an industry madness I`m afraid. Not a real lively feel, but that`s not really a weakness - especially on fast downhills.

I keep hearing about aluminun`s harsh ride, but my Cro Moly Masi is much, much harsher - a real spine breaker. The Klein`s ride is smooth by comparison - and more stable at high speed. I can ride it all day without back pain. Acclerates in an instant.

1970 Masi (similar?)

[Mar 20, 1999]

Strength:

This is the first road bike I have owned since buying and old steel Batavus Course back in the early 80's. I was a little nervous about buying aluminum because I did not want a bike that was uncomfortable to ride. After reading all of the reviews on this product, I went ahead and got it...needless to say, I am thrilled with the bike.
The bike is incredibly stiff and responsive but not harsh on the tush. I really think I have an advantage over others when I get out of the saddle and sprint because all the power you put into the pedals goes right to the rear wheel...next to nothing lost in frame flex. I equiped mine with Campy Chorus components which I would be more happy with if I could ever get the fine-tuning just right. The folks at Chainwheel in Little Rock, Arkansas outfitted it for me and they did a great job....if you are ever in the neighborhood, you should see their shop....great stuff!!

[Mar 24, 1999]

Strength:

I was perfectly satisfied with my C'dale road bike till I saw a Klein Quantum in the window of my local bike store. I took it for a ride simply because it was so beautiful; I bought it because of its amazing acceleration. I can't imagine a bike much faster or responsive. At 6'6, 225#, I have a 63cm; the thing absolutely does not flex. Unqualified recommendation.

[Mar 04, 1999]
weekend warrior

Strength:

Mr Friendly Advice is an idiot. Sounds like a disgruntled owner of a piece of shit bike or a bike salesman. This bike rocks. Comfortable on long rides, quicker than hell. Has a very compliant ride and being a large, ex bodybuilder (240 lbs) it had better be able to take some abuse. Nothing but praise for this beauty from Washington.

[Mar 07, 1999]
weekend warrior

Strength:

THIS WAS MY FIRST ROAD BIKE PURCHASE EVER. AFTER RIDING A BORROWED PARAMOUNT FOR 500 MI. I KNEW I HAD TO HAVE A ROAD BIKE. THIS WAS THE OBVIOUS CHOICE.
THE ONLY CONCERN I HAD WERE THE WHEELS, SO I HAD NEW ONES BUILT AT TIME OF PURCHASE. PROBLEM SOLVED! THIS BIKE WAS FAR MORE COMFORTABLE THAN THE STEEL PARAMOUNT I WAS USED TO, FASTER THAN ANYTHING I HAD EVER RIDDEN BEFORE, AND PERHAPS THE BEST LOOKING ROAD BIKE EVER BUILT. BY THE WAY, I HAD A FULL ULTERGA GROUPPO INSTALLED TO. NO WONDER I LOVE THIS BIKE.

[Feb 04, 1999]

Strength:

Hey Quantum Race owners, check out www.damonrinard.com and read the bike frame fatigue test article. Also, check your DOWN TUBE every day after you've ridden for a couple of years. You PROBABLY won't experience frame failure, but it's still good to be safe. Next time, if you buy one of the other three makes you won't have to worry about checking your down tube, or any other part of the frame for that matter. Sorry...