Klein Bicycle Corporation 2000 Quantum Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano 105 components, ICON Air Rail fork

[Nov 11, 2003]
Rich in Nevada

OVERALL
Strength:

Paint, finish, fork, frame stiffness and comfort, cable routing. Keep hoping to wear out 105 components, but they keep working. Rolf wheels spin good and fast in wind (but could be lighter).

Seat wasn't my favorite, but was better than most.

You'll never know how sweet a ride it is until you own one. The whole "harsh ride" myth of aluminum does not apply to this frame. I replace my Cro-Moly frame a few years back and couldn't be happier. Long rides leave me feeling renewed. The paint is the famous "Purple Haze", which curiously was not available on the more expensive models. It changes metallic color with the viewing angle - purple/dk green to orange and even some blue - it always get compliments. The welds are smooth, with continuously swaged aluminum, ovalized and thinned at strategic spots - not a simple double butted design like all other aluminum frames. It climbs easily, is all day comfortable and will make you think your speedo broke (I can't have gone that fast!)

Tried Steel, Aluminum, and Carbon (trek) bikes, but only owned steel and uncomfortable aluminum before this. I think you don't really know a bike before some epic rides.

[Aug 24, 2003]
Bobby

OVERALL
Strength:

Light and responsive, very fast

shimano 105 components aren't the best thing in the world

I purchased this bike as a closeout from the year before, so I got a pretty good deal on it. The bike is light and responsive, and very smooth when it's tuned properly. The 105 group set is definately the weakest poiny. I once took my bike in to a shop, and the mechanic said the frame was undermatched by the components. I'm cheap and don't intend on upgrading this bike.

some lemond

[Apr 13, 2003]
wayne martinez

OVERALL
Strength:

great allaround bike whether touring or racing. beautiful paint and internal cable routing

haven't found any

this bike has been a complete joy to ride. great accelaration, hill climbing and decending characteristics. with the carbon forks and seat post(upgrade)long distance rides are only limited by my condition. I keep looking for an excuse to get a titainium or carbon fiber bike but I can't find one.

carbon eclipse,de rosa,kestral 300ems, 1982klein

[May 05, 2002]
t_y_u

OVERALL
Strength:

-Strong, efficient frame -Rolf wheels -Great paint -stiff Icon fork matches stiff frame for ride -full 105 group -decent ride quality for AL, not buzzy

I''m getting picky here - these are mostly minor complaints (except the bad cog, which is part Shimano''s fault): -ride quality ain''t steel (or carbon, or Ti, or knotty pine or . . . ) -rear cassette chewed up one chain already-defective cog -poorly designed one-bolt Icon stem (swapped out) -not crazy about the crit geometry (slightly high bottom bracket) - Klein scrapped this in favor of his new "command" geometry on his 2001+ road bikes.

To sum it up - this bike is super efficient, it would make a great race bike, especially for shorter romps like crits. When I ride and the hills beat me down, I can only blame myself - the bike isn''t wasting a thing. I like that. Every pedal stroke surges me forward. I can actually tell when I''m not spinning circles because the bike starts to buck a little everytime I stab at the pedals. Compared to my old bike and other bikes I''ve tested, this bike is a dream come true. You know a bike is good when you triple the number of miles you normally ride in a year. I love the way the bike looks (my landlord wonders why I stand outside staring at it). Klein currently has the best production paint in the biz. Full 105 group - none of that painted over cheap component cheating that C-dale and others try to pull. The AL frame doesn''t have that nasty, cheap, buzzy feel of cheaper AL bikes. But potholes or broken/patched pavement will make you wish for a suspension seatpost. The Rolf Vectors are sweet - they look great, they are super efficient, relatively light, aero, and I haven''t had a single problem with them in over 1000 miles. Is it perfect? Not quite - I wish it was the 2001 or later model, because of Klein''s new command geometry which is a little more all purpose - this bike is designed for pedalling through corners, quick sprints, and fast cornering - I''m not a racer (yet) so this is all kinda wasted on me. The 105 group had some problems - the second largest cog was f''ed up and chewed up a chain. Walked several miles home and ruined a set of cleats and took about 3 years off my shoes. Pedallers, my fav. LBS, was great about it and fixed it right up (new cog, DA chain, no cost to me), but it shouldn''t have happened in the first place.

-Trek 2200-heavier, poor ride quality, overpriced -Cannondale R600-loved the paint (gloss black graphics on a matte black frame), but C-dale left me feeling cheated on components (their "performance"

[Nov 20, 2001]
BColeman

OVERALL
Strength:

Paint quality (called the ''awe factor), components for price. Really fast!!

As mentioned above, I found that the tires were highly prone to debris punctures and tears (moved to Verdesteins for a faster ride). Also mentioned, the seat is horrible so make sure you bargain for a seat of your choice upon purchase. Adjustments I found were tricky- once you find the sweet spot, life is good. Until then, prepare for some pain. Try swapping stem lengths, seats, seat heights, and bar widths. Eventually you will get there if you bought the right sized frame.

Fast Accelerator, great in the hills, ride is definitely not too harsh.

First "Real" road bike

[Nov 02, 2001]
Pete

OVERALL
Strength:

For such a light bike it is surprisngly durable. I never got around to doing the 30-day maintenance after buying the bike (or any maintenance beyond "Bomb with lube!")and now 15 months later it''s still zipping right along. It fell over during its one (and only) cleaning session. Front derailleur broke. Thought about replacing it, for two minutes, and then took derailleur off, jammed it wide open, put it back on and declared, "Only wusses need a small chainring!" Now this kind of miserliness must be compensated for with enormous momentum on every hill. And my 250lbs of weightlifting flab have punished this poor little bike day-in-day-out for eight months, and nothing has happened. I used to worry about breaking the frame, the forks, or driving the bottom bracket out of the bottom of the frame. My fears were groundless. The bike is an ox! Kleins have always had the reputation of being the #1 choice for the big-and-tall crowd, as well as hillclimbers (same engineering criteria for both tasks). Seriously, a very robust, nimble bike that perfectly melds form and function. Art on wheels.

The saddle. When you find blood in your bike shorts you know it''s time to start the long search for a comfortable saddle. The Axial Pro tires aren''t good on debris-strewn roads. Two punctures of the rear tire in one ride and I switched over to a Specialized Armadillo for the rear tire. As for the 105s, I personally think a standard ten speed set-up would be preferable to these non-functioning 18 speeds. You can''t use the extreme up or down in either chainring which means you''re carrying useless weight. Pity Shimano has been incapable of harnessing the awesome cosmic power of NEW TRADITIONALISM.

A precise, aesthetically-pleasing fat man''s bicycle.

I rode a Schwinn mountain bike that I had converted for what they now call "commuter" riding. Rack, panniers, the works, all encrusted with years of road dirt. Funky smelling handgrips, a chain way

[Oct 27, 2001]
mbj121

OVERALL
Strength:

Smoothness of the ride even on rough pavement. Response when asked for. Dealer getting me the correct size bike. Hidden Cables help so much when transporting the unit. Smoothness of gears and a great Paint Job. Very Classie on the go.

Shimano 105 components were good, but I changed to Ultegra with a triple chaining. Lost the straps on the Peds freedon. Working on Saddle.

My At 51 This is and will be the one for me. I was a little leary at first but the Klien really has it going on. Very smooth to ride and does offer good speed. Climbs hills at ease and very quick in it''s take off. It was my choise for my second bike (2300 Trek Was My First). But now it is #1 sinse I upgraded to the Shimano Ultegra. It is a good and effortless bike to ride and I recomend to all that can afford or are thinking of getting a road bike. I ride 13 to 26 miles per day every day and with bad weather comming I got a trainer for the home. There are many good bikes out there and I too, did some research before my purchase and I Didn''t go wrong.

Trek 7300 2001, Trek 2300 2000,

[Oct 04, 2001]
Michael

OVERALL
Strength:

Frame, ride, clean lines and paint job. Love the flightdeck computer.

I purchased the Quantum because that was the only Klein my budget would allow. If you have the money go with the Race or Pro for the upgraded component package. However, as mentioned in the Summary, the 105 group is going strong.

It''s a dream. I''ve owned true touring bikes and Italian racers, but this Klein can practically be used for both. I bought it for the frame, knowing that I would have to upgrade the 105 components sooner than later. 6000 miles later the components are still going strong. The ride is quick, but not too harsh on long bumpy rides. I would recommend the Quantum to anyone.

Trek 2000

[Jul 26, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Superb ride, very quick acceleration, handles well, comfortable (with upgraded saddle), internally routed cables, beautiful paint job and Rolf wheels!

Somewhat higher cost (or lesser components) compared to similar offerings by Trek and Cannondale. I assume that they expect you to ditch the stock saddle... I added a Specialized split saddle for about $50.

This is my first road bike, and I love it...! I rode a Trek hybrid for the past 3 years and the difference is incredible (although I might say the same about any good road bike at this point). I have not had any problems with stem noise as was mentioned in several reviews of the 1999 Quantum.

[Oct 06, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable, precise ride. Practically climbs on its own.

Still trying to get exact fit. Stock handlebars too wide at 44cm on 59cm bike, changed to 42cm. This helped but still not perfect. Will next try a shorter stem. 105 shifters have tendency to rattle on bumpy roads.

Didn't think the Veloce was any more comfortable than the aluminum bikes and weighed more. Giro gave a harsher ride than the Trek or the Klein. Chose Klein over the Trek based on marginally more comfortable feel, LBS recommendation, its cleaner lines (cables routed inside tubes) and purple haze paint is certainly distinctive. Longest ride 60 miles over varied roads, no problem with ride being too harsh.

Tested Bianchi Veloce, Giro and Trek 2200