Litespeed 2000 Arenberg Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra Triple components, Buyer's choice fork

[Jan 02, 2019]
Nomorehomes

OVERALL
Strength:

I am so happy I kept this to recover from the tear your legs off rides I do on my carbon bikes. So silky smooth and makes recovery rides something I look forward to.

Some say flex. I say it was built to be flex.

Price Paid:
2000
[Aug 04, 2003]
Brian

OVERALL
Strength:

Weight, stock components have worked flawlessly.

None.

This bike has performed quite well. I've put 1,000 miles on it with no major issues. After the initial tune-up I haven't had to touch the shifters or derailleurs. The Spinergy wheels have stayed true even through some rough spring riding (I haven't had any broken spoke issues, which seem to be common for others who use these wheels).

[Aug 21, 2002]
pedal

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride quality, build quality, light weight, a frame to last many, many years.

None.

This review is for the Macalu Pro frameset which is actually a Litespeed Arenberg. This bike rides like a dream. I notice the difference more on smooth roads than rough ones. The thing just glides. You might point out that the quality of the ride may be more a function of your wheelset than the frameset. But I used the same wheelset (Spinergy Spox R2+) on my old carbon bike and I can tell a huge difference in ride quality between the Macalu and my old bike. There is a noticeable difference in the ride between the bikes. I weigh 165 lbs and I haven't noticed any BB flex. I don't race anyway - so if it flexed a little now and then - no biggie.

Pre-Aegis carbon frameset w/Ultegra 2001 gruppo. Steel Zullo frame w/105.

[Apr 19, 2002]
goomba

OVERALL
Strength:

Geometry, seatstays awesome for the long hauls and handles the crap on the road. I only weigh 135 and I find that I can sprint well on it. Also, they have awesome customer service. I live up here in Canada and they always express everything to me and do not charge me for things such as new stickers or refinishing the frame-Collins Bishop is the man!

I am a Litespeed addict! I have the Tsali and the Obed as well. I have this bike to help with endurance. Love the frame welds, looks and price! I got two brand new Litespeed frames for the price of one! Look online for awesome deals.

GtZR1.0

[Mar 22, 2002]
M B

OVERALL
Strength:

The comfortable ride. This frame becomes just an extension of your body. Affordable TI.

This is a review of the 2001 Arenberg frame. I am 6''3" tall and weigh 161 pounds. This frame takes all the punishment on steep climbs and flats while hammering the pedals at blistering speeds. It is very comfortable on the poor roads here in New England. The frame seems to have the right balance between stiffness and comfort. The chain and seat stays are just a work of art very elegant. But do not let the comfort fool you as this frame is very fast and suited for racing.

Trek, Schwinn

[Dec 21, 2001]
Jeff in The Dalles

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride. Good for long rides, bumpy roads, or people who don''t want to put up with harshness.

Powerful or heavy riders on a larger frame size will deflect the bottom bracket while standing or sprinting.

This is the first quality road bike I have owned. I''m mainly into cross country, and got a road bike to extend my riding season when my favorate trails are snowed in, and for after work rides. I seem to be especially sensitive to road vibration/shock and I road many brands before picking this bike, which had the best bump absorbing ride and great handling. Being almost 200lbs and 61 frame, I can feel the frame flex around the bottom bracket if I stand or sprint. If I keep my RPM up and stay seated most of the time (which is kind of my style anyway) the flex isn''t too much of an issue, and is something I am willing to live with for the ride. If I get more into road riding, perhaps I will "spring" for a stiffer frame (sorry).

LeMond, Calfee, Waterford, Trek...

[Nov 23, 2001]
Juanmoretime

OVERALL
Strength:

Very excellent ride feel. It floats through the rough stuff.

Not not work as well for heavier riders, I weight 165.

I''ve stopped racing but I continue to keeping fit and was tired of getting beat up by my aluminium bike. Sweet ride ti ride. This bike corners like crazy and after just a couple of rides I''ve picked my best average by over 1 mile per hour for this year. I guess the competitive fire is still burning. I''m hooked, this bike is everything I current need in a bike.

Specialized Allez Carbon fiber, Klein Quantum II, Klein Aeolus, GT ZR2.0

[Apr 25, 2000]
AC

OVERALL
Strength:

Light Weight, Beautiful Fabrication, Low Maintenance, Good Value--the complete bike is less than some of Litepeed's framesets.

1" Steerer Tube, Toe overlap.

I bought this to improve my pedaling for Mountain Bike riding, and in three weeks, I've already seen a significant improvement in my pedaling. I originally spec'd 28mm tires for this bike, but they rubbed on the chainstays and wouldn't fit past the calipers without deflating. The 26mm Armadillos are very heavy and stiff, but they roll OK and I haven't flatted yet. Oh yeah, the bike...Very supple ride, agile without being nervous, don't notice any flex when stomping (it's unlikely that I would induce any flex, at my current fitness level), significant toe overlap on this 51cm frame, headtube requires a 1" steerer tube which severely limits your options for headsets and stems. I told the local dealer (Hi-Tech Bikes in SD) what I wanted and he steered me away from a Blue Ridge, as he thought the Arenburg would be lighter, more comfortable with its curved seatstays and carbon fork option, and less expensive. He was right on all counts.

In 1983 I bought an "ultralight" 25 lb. Peugeot, but soon traded it in on a new Stumpjumper. After that, it's been all mountain bikes until now.

[Apr 11, 2001]
Curt

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is a work of art in design and build quality.

Can't think of any.

The Arenberg is the entry level Litespeed road frame,there are lighter frames,but I doubt you will find one better than this,its probably not a great racing frame,but for group rides or touring, you would be hard pressed to find a better frame at this price. Give credit to Litespeed for building a high quality product in the US and making it accessible to the masses,if you are looking for your last road bike,look no further than Litespeed,there is alot of value here.

Specialized Allez,Cannondale R4000,

[Apr 13, 2001]
Peter Rhodes

OVERALL
Strength:

Titanium doesn't rust, nice welds. relatively low weight. I paid $685 on ebay for a brand NEW frame my local shop sells for over $1,200. Hard to flex in my size/wieght (49cm frame/I weigh 134lbs). Ovalized downtube. Comfy as hell

Can't really see racing this thing. I bought it for a bad weather bike. Suite probably more for the dude/gal who just like to ride. I wouldn't ride this in a crit.

Nice bike for training and riding. Probably not a crit racer though. It would probably do nicely on a road race course. Feels like a cadillac.
I've ridden all types now (steel,alum,carbon,Ti) This bike has some nice characteristics to it. If you want a frame that is going to last a lifetime Ti or Carbon are probably the way to go.
I like this bike. feels smooth and comfortable on rides. Handles really well. Not a bad weight. Just over 3lbs in my size. Not too shabby.
I'm a bargin hunter. I spend a long time looking for a frame that would fit me at a great price. I got this Ti frame for less then what it would cost my local dealer. I would recommend though paying full retail for this if it came down to it. You won't be disappointed.

My racing bike is a Giat TCR. This is my first time on Ti. I have also ridden a Cannondale (old 3.0 back in the early 90's) and a Schwin Paramount (nice steel bike), Aegis Carbon fiber