Marin Mountain Bikes 2000 San Marino Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Veloce components, Marin fork

[Oct 04, 2001]
kirbykrause

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfort and minimal flex. I rate a Cannondale as zero flex soit provides maximum efficiency but a super harsh ride, while this is about 85% of the Cannondales efficiency but 100% more comfortable, you can ride faster and longer. Try it. Veloce is very nice, Daytona is slightly better. Steel or carbon fork is no big deal, both are great. This frame set-up is much more efficient than any steel bike I can think of.

Newer models are slightly better than older ones due to the stem and comps, frames are amazing due to shape of the tubing, stays, and quality of construction.

I have tried and owned MANY bikes, this is one AMAZING bike. The frame is very fast and as comfortable as you would ever need. I was on a search for the perfect bike at reasonable money which would give me the immediate response as a Cannondale but a comfortable ride like quality Italian steel, this is a close and you can come without going to double the money. Minimal flex and sooo comfortable. Could be lighter as any bike but you will not notice 99% of the time. This is a must ride bike, made in Italy and real quality paint

Bianchi steel (numerous), aluminium, Cannondale, Pinarello, Schwinn steel Prestige tubing, Bridgestone RB-1, Casati steel, Trek CArbon, more.

[May 08, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Appearance -- this is a visually stunning bicycle.
Value - great mix of frame and components
Performance - very stable, nimble bicycle -- great performer

Minor -- the seat post adjustment is somewhat flaky - requires two allen wrenches.
Otherwise -- no real complaints.

Extremely good product. I have a number of different bicycles and this one is quickly working its way up to the top of the pile. Initially, I bought the bike because of its appearance and its price (it was on sale at a Super Sale event for $1100). However, after using it for a month, I have become very appreciative of it. I look forward to taking it out for rides. It is quick, nimble, very stable, highly predictable in its handling, and a quick accelerator. It is simply an all-round great bike. On many of my bikes, after a month of riding it almost continuously, the bloom quickly comes off the rose. But this is not the case with this bike. It is simply great value for the money. On top of everything else, its appearance is visually stunning (it really appeals to the soul).

This is a bike for serious riders. It is not a bike for the recreational rider. It is also a bike that is very suitable for road racing. If you are looking for a top quality road bike, then consider this one very seriously. You will not be disappointed.

Serotta, Cannondale R1000, Lightspeed Catalyst, Colnago Masterpiece

[May 31, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Silky ride, good out of the box components, priced to sell, and loves to turn heads with that funky paint job, climbs easily considering to 39/23 ratio. Descends well after replacing the rear wheel. After a century ride I don't feel like I had been beaten in the arms and back.

Marin sent me a bad rear wheel complete with wrong spoke calculations and flat spots. I don't know who is doing quality control over there but shipping wheels requires a little air in the tires to keep from damage. I rebuilt the wheel with an open pro and all is great.

I'm a bike mechanic and a fanatical mountain biker.
I was looking for a bike to keep me spinning after ski season and before the snow melted. I usually ride steep mountain passes, and the Marin provided me with everything I wanted in a road machine. Considering I purchased the bike at cost I have no complaints, but re-building wheels and discoving that marin messed up their spoke calculations was a bit of a disappointment.

Old Trek 460
redline cyclecross
Basso

[Jul 02, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

great ride characteristics, handles well, good geometry, Campy components, Outstanding paint job and workmanship, a great bike for the money

a bit heavy at near 22 lbs, but upgrades down the line like carbon fork should improve that.

This is one great bike. In one weeks time I went from being dropped immediately by the pace line on my old bike to staying with them with ease on the San Marino. This is my first experience with Campy compents, I love the ability to make small adjustments without shifting. Marin has made a beautiful bike, the finish is excellent, the bike looks fast standing still. The ride is very comfortable, it's just easy to go fast on this bike. This bike is perfect for someone who wants a bike that they can begin racing with, and can be upgraded down the road as abilities improve. This is also an excellent bike for the recreational rider who wants a great ride along with the ability to go fast.

14 year old KHS Fiero road bike

[Sep 13, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Killer Paint Job-The bike looks fast standing still.
Handles great. Just the handling will make you a better rider. Very comfortable - Steel is real

Campy components need time to break in

This is my second bike. My first was a TREK 1100. I like this bike so much that I want to ride more often and longer.(wife not happy) No more aluminum for me. This bike is a climber. I don't have the triple in front, and don't need it. On the down side of the hill, the superb handling will give you great confidence at high speeds. If I was to upgrade anything, it would be the wheels. I thought I would get a Bianchi, but could not get my size. Now I am glad I didn't.

I tried every bike in the $1,500 price range at any dealer within 40 miles of my house.

[Sep 12, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Paint job catches everyone's attention! Increadibly responsive, quick to excellerate and very comfortable after long rides on multiple days. (California Aids Ride)

Campy components took a little breaking in.

I shopped around long and hard looking for my next bike. I'd been out of cycling for some time and very spoiled by a Schwinn Peloton that fit me perfectly. (I now use it for indoor wind training) More than satisfied with this pretty little spinner. I've recommended to my friends, but not the other gals I'm racing against!

Jarvis, Cannondale, Schwinn, Sarrotta

[Feb 24, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Paint..handling..value

veloce components need to break in. Front der not the most responsive.

GREAT bike. Off serious riding for some time (don't ask!). Started back with a Specialized Sirrus, but it just didn't hack it. Found this beauty marked down, so bought it based on looks and components/value. Immediately made me want to go riding. Liked it so much that when upgrading my mtb this spring I'm looking at other Marin products. Great for triathlete, club racer. Like any race machine, too sensitive for run of the mill commuter. Perhaps too heavy for above average competitors....but for me, just right!!

replace specialized product