Mongoose 2000 RX 10.7 Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Time Stiletto fork

[Oct 27, 2018]
DJJOE

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, strong and fast. Very smooth ride quality and quick acceleration!

Wish it didn't have the big storm cloud of a name over it. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
1998
[Apr 13, 2012]
Dan

OVERALL
Strength:

Titanium. High quality construction. Rides like a dream.

Brushed finish is hard to keep clean.

Very comfortable ride for those +60 mile days. I laugh (to myself) at the "It's a Mongoose" sneers. Then I drop them and their Cannondale/Trek/Specialized /etc overpriced Shimano equipped throwaways.

Replaced a Zullo criterium, Columbus SL, Campy Chorous/Record mix

[Jun 21, 2007]
Jorog

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality Build and Welds
Titanium = No Rust
Good Road Geometry
Great Ride
Classic Looks
Nice Finish

One Inch Headset
Rear Triangle could be Stiffer

This review if for the Mongoose/TiSport frame only. This is a GREAT bargain titanium frame. Weld quality is equal or superior to anything else out there. The design is solid for all-around road riding and the details such as the cable stops are all good. There are two shortcomings to the frame. The one inch headset is out of date and difficult to find good fork for and the "S" curve chain stays lead to a small amount of rear end flex in the drive line. Other than that, a great riding frame on a par with steel.

Raleigh Steel and Aluminum Framed Bikes
Pedal Force Carbon Frame

[Jun 24, 2000]
David

OVERALL
Strength:

Welds are phenomenal. I sat at the store comparing the welds to Litespeed's Ultimate and Classic and left loving the Sandvik made Mongoose.
-I weighed the 10.7 w/o pedals and at 18 pounds, I knew I had a winner.
- The frame is straight and true and the ride is so supple.
-Came with Sweet Ultegra Pedals (love).
-Look at the part groups, it is all Shimano Ultegra (or Ultegra level) and Mavic. No other bike came with Vittoria tires for this price. Mongoose doesn't mix and match to cut costs.
I bought the bike at Supergo for near cost ($1700) and it came with Vittoria tires.

-Your friends will never, ever let you live the "Mongoose" name down.
-Other riders smile and then sneer as they glance at the red "Mongoose" decals. You're lucky if other riders talk to you at all.
-You will never walk into the bike shop and proudly ask for your Mongoose. You will definately go by last name.
-Chainstays flex under acceleration a tad more than I would like (but my 200 pound frame may be the culprit)

The ride is as smooth as butter and the welds are so flawless that you have to wonder if there is a better Titanium bike for the money. It even comes with Shimano Ultegra pedals!
The bike will make you a better rider as you aspire to pass each and every Cannondale riding, Colgano patriot and Lemond fanatic who gives you the evil eye as the road opens up. If you have to drive a BMW to say you own one, this is not you bike. If however, you are the type that buys a Purple Label Ralph Lauren Suit at the outlet store, after season, then the Mongoose 10.7 is your dream. Beautiful, quality, a we-didn't-cheap-out component group, and thoughtful details (Wonderful dropouts) make it impossible to beat.
I short Mongoose one star because they still sell bikes at K-Mart.

Specialized M4 Hardtail
Trek R200

[Sep 06, 2000]
Ray

OVERALL
Strength:

Great all around bike. Beautiful welds. Lively ride. Greate components. good for climbing or long distance ride. SelleItalia, Nitrox seat takes some breaking in
At $1700. unbeatable.

High end bike but marketed by Mongoose, a low end and a high end brand.

Great bike. I wanted a new bike for longer distance riding with a softer ride than my Cannondale 2.8 frame. I tested many bike. Was willing to pay up to $3K. I test rode Lemond (Aluminum and Steel), Kestrel, Litespeed and Mongoose Titanium. I quickly picked Titanium as the way to go. Second choice was Carbonfiber Kestrel but the ride felt stiffer and not as lively. With about $900 savings over the Litespeed at a super discount price I paid at Supergo, the Mongoose was the right choice. The ride was the same as Litespeed Classic. This bike and climb too. It springs back and forth just the right amount for my weight when climbing. I can climb even faster than my Cannondale.
Overall, I am happy. I however removed the Mongoose Sticker and put a couple of US flag stickers on the down tube. Looks sharper this way. The polished titanium tubing is unbeatable.

Cannondale, 2.8 frame.

[Sep 28, 2000]
Mike Beckman

OVERALL
Strength:

Once I removed the Mongoose labels, replaced the saddle, pedals, and fork, and put on Ksyrium wheels, it became a very 'cool' looking bike.

The performance is substandard for any serious rider of any strength or size. It flexes under even minor stress. The bottom bracket area is particularly weak with standard round tube junctions.

Please, do yourself a favor and spend the extra money for a quality Ti bike if you want Ti. Just compare the bottom bracket area of this bike with a Litespeed and think about why the better bike is shaped the way it is. Do not be fooled into thinking that here is a quality Ti ride for a reasonable price because it is not.

My current bike is a Look KG281.

[Oct 27, 2000]
Marc

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, strong, generally good components

None, specifically

The Mongoose Pro RX 10.7 is an excellent titanium road bike. Great ride (as smooth as butter), good handling, and it is fast! I am really enjoying it, and consequently I am riding the bike much more than any other that I have previously owned. The Shimano Ultegra Group is a good match qualitatively for this bike. The shifting is not outstanding, but it is reasonably smooth and precise and is more than adequate. The Ultegra brakes work well (and I weigh 195 lbs.). However, I do believe that some of the other individual components could have been a little better. Specifically, the Cane Creek headset that came with the bicycle is good, but a Chris King headset would probably be lighter, stronger and longer lasting. Also, the Mavic Open Pro wheelset and Vittoria Action HSD tires that came with the bicycle are good, but the wheelset and tires could be better. I would have preferred Mavic Ksyriums or Velomax Ascent Comps (or at least a choice of some other kind of wheelset)coupled with a racing (rather than a training) tire. On a good road bike such as this one, a lighter wheel set, or at least the option for a lighter wheelset and tires, seems in order. Also, the saddle that came with the bike was a San Marco Azoto. I had never even heard of this particular saddle. While the saddle was light and of good quality, it turned out to be too hard for my hind-quarters. Therefore, I have already changed to a more padded and more comfortable (for me, at least) saddle, the Terry Fly. The change has further enhanced the riding experience. However, the biggest criticism of all has to do with the stem. The stem that came with the bike was too long and lacked rise. Consequently, I was forced to replace the 3TTT Mutant stem with the 3TTT Forgie. Stem options really need to be offered with the bike or be available post-purchase so that the bike is properly fitted to the rider/purchaser. Notwithstanding the above, this is a great riding, responsive and fast road bike. The brushed grey titanium frame looks good (to me, at least) and is first rate. I think that the quality of the welds appears quite good. It is a reasonably, but not overly, stiff frame. I would definitely recommend this bicycle to a prospective purchaser. And, I think it is also a fairly good value for the money. This should be an attractive product to someone looking for a good quality titanium road bike.

Schwinn Road Bikes