Pinarello Crono Older Road Bike

2000 Pinarello Crono Competition Frame, "PINARELLO Crono" Tubing, TIG Welding, Microfused Crown Fork, Front Wheel 28", Rear Wheel 28"

[Apr 28, 2006]
Mike Manov

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability at speed.
Excellent time trial performance.
Comfortable ride.

Not the most aero frame: only the fork and downtube are aero, and cables are externally routed.
Like any TT bike, it's useless for anything else.

This bike is a solid, stable-handling time trial sweetheart. In the 2005 seven-race Cherry Creek time trial series, I started with a Trek 5900 road bike with clip-on aero bars, doing 26 to 27 minutes on a windy, rolling 10.5 mile TT course. A set of Mavic Cosmic Carbone clincher wheels (50 mm aero section rims) cut 40 seconds off my time, and the Pinarello Crono frame took another 30 seconds off, leading to a best time of about 25:10. Although TT bikes have a reputation for instability and poor handling, this one is rock-solid even at 40.6 MPH, downhill with a tailwind. Pinarello's web site describes this bike as "ideal for twisting, hilly courses"; I agree. For 2006 I have added a set of Corima carbon front/disc rear sewup wheels. Although my times have not improved during the first three races, last year's best times came late in the series, so I'll have to wait and see about this year. I'd like to thank Dennis Fresquez, a good bike fitter at Big Ring Cycles in Golden, CO, for telling me that I am too long-legged, too short-torsoed, and too inflexible (6' 3", 36" inseam, can't touch toes) to ride a Cervelo P3, and persuading me that this short-top-tube Italian frame would fit me best. I am still pleasantly surprised at how comfortable this frame is, even for an hour of TT training.

[Oct 22, 2001]
bigshow28

OVERALL
Strength:

handling. "jet like acceleration." weight. shear aerodynamics components.

Ah, if I must come up with one: -price

solid. aerodynamic. relatively light weight. two words: "Greased Lightening."

-Trek -Cannondale *Once you go Italian, you never go back!*