Pinarello Galileo Older Road Bike

2000 Pinarello Galileo Frame, "PINARELLO Lens" Aluminum Tubing, TIG Welding, "VELA" Carbon Fork

[Nov 23, 2010]

OVERALL
Strength:

Reliability, Quality, Value, Weight. Made in Italy, not Taiwan or Korea.

None, that I know of

I am a member of NCVC and I have been training and racing on this bike for 8-years. Just recently had Campy Chorus bottom bracket replaced after many thousands of miles! Only problem in 8-years!

Many other makes and models all equipped with Campy. Have a vintage Rolls/Colnago with Campy Record.

[May 07, 2009]
Robert

OVERALL
Strength:

Responsive, descends well, corners well, accelerates well, absorbs shocks readily, great paint finish, great value for money.

No chain hanger at the rear; but thats it.
DO NOT buy one without the headset bearings. I had great difficulty getting a set but eventually found a source. Contact me if you need a set.

Well, what can I say. I weigh 142llbs and after riding a Battaglin with Columbus SL Tubing for nearly 20 years, I finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade. I got the Pinarello 2003 really cheap on e-bay.It was too small for him and got a bigger Galileo! Don't understand why he did'nt make sure of the right size in the first place. The difference between the old frame and the new was phenomenal. Because of the compact size and nowadays so many stem and stem angle variations as well as seat pin alternatives, I could set up the bike perfectly for my size and weight. The oversize tubing only posed one problem - a 35.5 mm clip on front mech. I overcame this by purchasing a clip to allow for a braze-on f mech. The stays are quite chunky and I had to buy a 111mm BB - cartridge (chorus). You could easily fit a 113mm BB as there is very little space between my chainset and the stays. The ride: Magic. Just like the other reviews; don't skimp on components. The only thing I am conscious of is the drivechain and wheels. Its as if the frame was'nt there! The carbon meta forks work really well coupled with an original carbon Pinarello seat pin to absorb shocks. I have had both hips replaced (I'm 39 years old) and the raod feel is fantastic. it accelerates very well, is beautifully balanced on corners and descending. I had an old pair of Record Titanium 32spoke, Mavaic SUP 2 reflex wheels which were far too stiff for my weight and the bike was further transformed after swapping the wheels for Ksyriums (highly recommended). I am currently upgrading them too! PS Campag for sensible people. My transmission (Record/Chorus) is 12 years old and still running perfectly. ShimaNO. Waste of money - silky smooth initially but no longevity.

Campagnolo throughout. Mavic Ksyriums. Look Keo pedals (slightly dissapointing)

[Apr 20, 2004]
ss396

OVERALL
Strength:

It handles and rides really solid and smooth! Quality of this frame is second to none. I can't see spending the extra bucks for a Prince!

External butted tubing (now a moot point as its discontinued)does not particularly add to its looks, but you almost don't notice it.

This is a 2003 Galileo frame with the externally butted tubes - the 04 now has no external butting and carbon stays. This is an excellent frame for the money. Mine has Dura Ace 9 (couldn't afford the new 10)and if you are going to build one, don't cheap out on the components - this frame is worthly of DA - at a minimum, Ultegra. With Hutchinson 23c tires, it has got to be my best riding bike and I also have a 02 DeRosa Vega (cheapest DeRosa frame made and now discontinued)which I used to think was the best riding and a 98 Litespeed Tuscany - the DeRosa may handle as well, but the Galileo just feels better somehow, I can't really explain it. The crank is an FSA Carbon Pro in 50/34 which is fantastic with a 27 tooth rear for really spinning up the Colorado mtn climbs. Deda Newton bar and stem also adds a touch of class. Right now I have Ultegra wheels with Mavic Open Pro rims but will be getting better wheels for this bike as it is more than worthy of some upgrades. Weighs a bit over 18 pounds with cages and Speedplay X3 pedals. This Galileo frame was lighter than the $800 more Marvel frame in 03! I don't know about the new carbon stay Galileo frame, but it is a bit better looking than my 03 - I really don't care for the bulge of the external butted frame, but it is very solid and I don't think it's ever going to break on me (I weigh a puny 132 lb.)

DeRosa Vega Litespeed Tuscany

[Mar 13, 2003]
JRAKAI

OVERALL
Strength:

Workmanship, paint and carbon fork.

None to report.

This review is for a 2001 frame. Just a work of art!!! The geometry (56) was perfect for me and the paint job is the best I've seen thus far on any frame (Oceano - Banesto / Prime Alliance style). The carbon fork perfectly blends into the overall appearance of the bike. An outstanding job by Pinarello and an Aluminum frame worth the purchase.

Colnago and Trek.

[Jan 15, 2003]
Craig Brinsdon

OVERALL
Strength:

Rock solid frame - really stiff and responsive for climbing and sprinting, ultra quick wheels, outstanding Chorus components - it is just a great package whether training or racing. Compared to Colango Dream and other similar Italian bikes it was reasonably priced. Plus it looks sensational!!

Can't think of too many weaknesses - compared to my old steel bike it has no weaknesses at all!! I am a little disappointed that the Team Telekom colours were unavailable when I decided to purchase - not a big problem though.

This bike is my first new road bike in over 8 years. Jumping from an old school steel frame with 8 speed Campag Record to this lean mean racing machine was simply awesome!!! I honestly felt guilty when I turned up to my first race on the Pinarello, I felt I had an unfair advantage over the other guys - the speed and responsiveness was simply awesome and it still blows me away - even after a couple of thouand kms in the saddle.

Kenevans Columbus TSX frame with 8speed Campag Record, Z Team Greg LeMond Columbus SL frame with 8speed Campag Veloce, Test rode Cannondale R2000 Caad5 with Shima-NO Ultegra

[Dec 29, 2002]
David Ho

OVERALL
Strength:

Paint,geometry, dont see hardly any on the road, pretty light

none really

This bike is awesome, every ride i go on somebody does a doubletake and looks at the bike.I have to admit I wanted the Prince but the wife gave me a budget and I stuck with it.They all have the same geometry, so its all good!It is so stable, you just point it and it goes and if you have the stones to hold the line it will do it.

Schwinn Peloton Cannondale R1000 Giant TCR Team ONCE

[Dec 02, 2002]
basjan

OVERALL
Strength:

- Geometry (not too short top tube for an Italian bike) - Frame materials & fork - Weight (light, but not "last only 2 years" light) - Stifness - LOOKS!

- Integrated headset - Pinarello specific seatpost clamp and headset

This is an absolutely fantastic bike. Bicycling magazine said that the Pinarello Surprise can be fitted with Record, since it is such a close ride to that of the Paris frame - the Galileo is one-up in the line vs. the Surprise, so there goes! I am heavy (192 lbs.), so the aluminum frame doesn't bother me much. Even coming off a Lemond Zurich, this bike handles great. It descends wonderfully, is stiff enough for fierce sprints and climbing, and light enough to keep one's “covetness” in check. It really is a wonderfully comfortable bike. I love the frame geometry and the Pinarello carbon fork, as far as I am concerned it is one of its best features. So anything wrong with it? The only criticisms that I can level are (i) I don't trust integrated headsets yet. Sure they handle great and makes for a stiffer bike, but the bearings are nestled in the frame itself, making it a possibly dangerous venture for frame longevity (ii) Pinarello has stock/specific headset and seatpost requirements, so you have to use their headset and seat clamp. Other than these two issues, this bike will be a proud piece in my home. Living in a smallish apartment, I actually use it as decoration when not riding, it's better to look at than the television…

Lemond Zurich 853 Reynolds LeJeune 531 Reynolds

[Nov 14, 2002]
Lorens Christian Asmussen

OVERALL

Addendum to my former review: I recently visited Pinarellos road show being in Denmark. They told me, that in fact it was on a Galileo frame, that Bjarne Riis won Tour de France in 1996.

[Oct 29, 2002]
Rainrider

OVERALL
Strength:

Stability and great responsiveness while climbing.

Stock Fork

I originally bought this bike with Daytona and have since upgraded to Record. The frame has been exceptioanl and that is why I bothered putting Record on it. The frame is light yet gives great stability while cornering. I was greatly disappointed in the fork however until I switched from the stock "Vela" to a full carbon steerer in the Ouza Pro.

Faggin, Bianchi XL

[Sep 12, 2002]
Eddy Goldberg

OVERALL
Strength:

Everything in the summary, add an excellent fork and a rich paint job.

None. (well, maybe one: your teammates will begin to think that you're not working hard enough...)

For serious amateurs who don't want to go over $1000 this is an incredible frame! Very responsive, stiff when needed but rides quite smooth for oversized aluminum. The low bb height makes it extremely stable on descents and it has given me tremendous confidence in cornering. There ARE lighter frames out there but it is still quite a spry climber. (remember: everyone wants to climb on a 16 lb bike, noone wants to descend on one...) Pinarello proves that engineering is not everything; framebuilding is an art.

Vitus 979, Cannondate 2.8