Pinarello Surprise Older Road Bike

2000 Pinarello Surprise Frame, "PINARELLO Profile" Aluminum Tubing, TIG Welding, "ALA" Alloy Fork

[Mar 28, 2009]
flickwet

OVERALL
Strength:

quick, responsive and stiff,... for a sprinter

not the most comfortable ride especially for any older riders, but im very young and can endure the ride

i am a thirteen year old kid i just bought my pinarello surprise for a birthday ive built it up with carbon spinergy wheels, it came with carbon pinarello head set and carbon fork i got a bargan for the beautiful bike. i do crits and ride whenever i can i live in hilly ohio. this bike is responsive,fast and fun! i highly recomend it for the younger racers. its aluminum, very stiff, and i dont recomend it if your a person who wants to just ride but for a young bodied racer or just the fast average joe.its just a blast!best for crits and sprinters

my first road bike was a tricked out bridge stone RB1 this is my second bike now that im participating in races and ive had no other experiences with any other frames

[Jan 23, 2009]
pinarello_man

OVERALL
Strength:

Good bike for everything.

None that i have noticed yet but is a little heavy.

I bought this bike on ebay a few months ago and have not been disappointed it's beautiful on the descents good on the climbs (but i'm only 135ib) and a nice and smooth ride on the flat.

[Apr 27, 2008]
Amanda Gilchrist

OVERALL
Strength:

Wicked descent, corners well, smooth, excellent value for the money.

A little heavy on the climbs, but then again, it could just be my inexperience.

Excellent 'entry level' road bike. Affordable, stiff, great ride, and it's a handmade Italian frame. Not something you see on the road every day, definitely worth the money. Got the frame on closeout, and got a deal with the component group (Campy Centaur.)

[Mar 09, 2008]
kbfore

OVERALL
Strength:

Smooth ride. Smooth as the old steel frames in the 80s.

A little heavy. Small headset. The headset is not as strong as the bigger ones on sharp/fast turns.

Finding it next to impossible to get an Italian frame bigger than 58cm that is aluminum and does not cost $3000, I got a Pinnarello Surprise. It was a brand new frame that had been at Gita for a while in the closet I suppose. Being 60cm I guess it was a hard sell. I decided to get it and ride it a couple of years and save my money for a carbon frame.

I have to admit it is a smooth ride. All my buddies weigh 40 lbs less and fly up the climbs anyway. I don't know if it because of my 200+ lb frame or my slightly heavy Suprise frame. It has been a long time since I was a 175 pound cat 3.

Masi 3V

[Jan 24, 2004]
PeteScores

OVERALL
Strength:

Responsiveness, Stiffness, cornering, and descending.

At 18.5 lbs, not a true featherweight.

I have put this bike through 7,500 pretty tough miles (I'm over 200 lbs) and it is a pleasure to ride. It sprints and corners well in my weekly crits and is comfortable n century rides. Noticed a big jump in performance when I swapped out the Shimano R540 wheels for Ksyriums. Give Gary Hobbs at GVHBikes.com a call and he'll set you just right.

Cannondale, Pinarello Veneto (steel)

[Nov 21, 2003]
Jason Lee

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff without transmitting every little bump from the road. Very stable on 45mph+ descents. The geometry is not too twitchy if you know what I mean.

Not too many minuses. Just a solid, reasonably lightweight frame for the price. Second-to-none in the looks dept. though.

Got to give it to the Italians for building a beautiful looking frame at a reasonable price. There is a little flex when I stomp but it might be the wheels straining under my 225 lbs. Incredible paint work. Maybe its the water they drink over there but Italian designers come up with the best color schemes. I don't mind the slight weight penalty as opposed to some of the other frames...hell, I just have to skip the second slice of pizza to make up the difference.

Bianchi... I tend to stick with the pasta-eaters for the road stuff.

[Oct 06, 2003]
Chen Schrieber

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiffness, comfort, geometry, control, turns, strength, looks.

A little heavy, but on the slopes, the stiffness makes sure you won't feel it.

I had a very limited budget so I decided to buy a good frame with cheaper components. campagnolo's basic mirage works almost like the record! The only difference is the weight. The frame is more than amazing!!! It's totally enough for a racer!!! It's super stiff, the geometry is comfy, the bike handles amazingly at all conditions and at 40MPH, sharp turns are easy!! I also had a very serious crash in a race and although the bike was ran over again and again, it didn't suffer any damage (most bikes would brake under that much pressure). PERFECT FRAME FOR A CYCLIST ON A BUDGET!!!

Giant, Bianchi.

[Jun 24, 2003]
gzeern

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling. Looks - I get "nice bike" all over.

A bit heavy, but so am I.

Upgraded from an old (early 90's) cannondale, so a comparison would be like Tyson vs. a pencil necked geek. I looked long and hard and this was the best frame I could find for the price. Built up piecemeal. It accelerates like a scalded dog and remains stiff for a 200 pounder like me. Descending is awesome on this frame, it carves turns like a sharp knife through prime rib. Worth every penny, just needs good components to maximize its potential. My first ride on this thing I was cornering at speeds that would cause me to soil my trou on my old POS!

[Feb 10, 2003]
Dropped

OVERALL
Strength:

Descends like a monster. Smooth ride. Good value. Oh, and it's ITALLIAN.

Not the lightest bike ever made, but by no means a heavyweight. Not many weaknesses.

Great budget Itallian bike. Beautifully made. Your friends will think you paid a lot more than you did. The bike has a smooth ride (it's not noticably harsher than my old Specialized carbonfiber). Solid climber, but it just screams downhill and handles like it is on rails. Vela carbon fork is solid and gives a nice ride. A great substitute for the soul-less U.S. mass market bike.

[Oct 31, 2002]
Quest2694

OVERALL
Strength:

Ride ride ride. Stiffness and light weight for the money.

None that I can find

After looking long and hard this is what I choose. Am I glad I did. It has a wonderful ride that is not at all harsh. Yet when I stand on the pedals it moves!! Hills seem like nothing. If you don't have a lot to spend then this is the bet to put your money on. You won't regret it at all!!

Nishiki, Trek,