Ritchey 1999 Road Logic Older Road Bike

1999 Ritchey Road Logic, road race & triathlon, Road Mix components, Ritchey Road fork

[Jul 22, 2013]
Don

OVERALL
Strength:

In the mid-90's, when carbon was still flexy, and Ti was expensive, I bought a Road Logic as my race rig. Did 1000's of miles on it. It climbs great, is responsive, but comfortable on long (80mi+) rides/ races. The Ultegra gruppo with a Dura Ace crank and Wheelsmith clinchers are a great combo. Raced on various carbon tubulars.
So fast forward to now. I still own and ride this bike for most training and commuting. I don't race her anymore (for fear of crashing, and destroying it), but even with sub- 15lb carbon steeds in the shop, it's still my favorite bike. The 9spd gruppo still works like the day it came home. The wheels are still true and brake surface has at least another season in it (it's over 10 years old!).
If you are lucky enough to come across one, get it. You won't be sorry.

Compared to the new "compact" frames now, it doesn't have a lot of sharp cornering clearance. Tough to pedal through corners.
I swapped the OEM steel fork for a Kenisis Carbon one early on. The stock fork gave a bit too much road feedback and it shaved a bit of weight (important to me back then).

I could carry on about it, but as much as I love me some carbon, I still can alway rely, and always enjoy, riding the Logic.

Litespeed Classic, Trek 5200, Bianchi Veloce, Viner, Vitus, Giant.

[Nov 27, 2006]
ilan

OVERALL
Strength:

Very comfortable and lively. Very good price. Lightest steel bike? Titanium ride at half the price.

Pedal overlap. Front end too short. Cables wear paint down. Rust (true of all steel frames). Perhaps too much BB flex.

I bought this bike in 1997, and have been riding it exclusively for the last 10 years. I was quite pleased with this bicycle. Since I have short legs, I wanted a small frame with a long top tube, and the 52cm frame (center to top) was 50.5 center to center with 54 cm top tube, so fit me perfectly. I also needed a more relaxed seat tube angle due to my long femurs. On my previous bicycle, a custom Marinoni I had to push my saddle as far to the back as possible, it ended up being the worst fit I've ever had, so much for custom frames.

After 10 years, I feel that the major advantage of this bike is its comfort, I love to ride on cobbles (I live in Paris where there are a lot around), and the bike just floats over them, except for the rare large chunky Paris-Roubaix style ones which no bike can dampen. On my old Marinoni, I would be bouncing around on rough roads.

Otherwise, I believe it is fairly lively, at least compared to the 1996 Trek OCLV, which I test rode for 5 minutes which was enough for me, as it was way too stable, and felt like a truck. From everything I've read, the bike should have about the same ride as the typical Merlin titanium frame, e.g., the 41 cm chainstays.

I finally weighed the bike for the first time and was surprised to find that it was 9kg, which is pretty good for a steel frame with mostly Ultegra and 105 parts.

I believe that the frame is not too stiff, because in some gears I can hear the chain rub when I apply force to the pedals, which may be due to bottom bracket flex (this did not happen on my previous bike).

There are big problems with the frame. The first is front wheel overlap, which I don't consider acceptable in a road bike (in fact, there should be a warning because I almost crashed when I discovered this). I don't have particularly big feet and my foot is not particularly forward on the pedals. This is consistent with the second problem, which I discovered on the first descent on my first ride. The front seems so short that I almost fell over the bars. To descend correctly, I have to sit way back on the saddle. I believe that I am going as fast as on my previous bike, but my Marinoni felt a lot better descending.

Finally, I am going to have to get another bicycle, because this one is rusting all over the place. First, the cable which touch the frames have worn through the paint and there is exposed steel. There are also exposed parts on the dropouts. I also didn't realise that my pump had worn through the paint and caused it to rust there. Since the frame is incredibly thin at the center of the tubes (.2 mm) it is unclear whether it will survive the sanding process to get it repainted. I will wait till I get a new bike to do this.

Custom Marinoni (standard Italian geometry).

[Jun 16, 2003]
Nick

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, comfortable for century rides or fast training over varied terrain. Climbs very well, descends very well, fantastic do-it-all bike.

Not really a weakness but carbon/Ti/Al is lighter. Other than the extra 1/2 lb - none.

I got the Road Logic in 1995, and now, 8 years and 16,000 miles later, I still LOVE this bike! I didn't really believe the 1994 article, in Bicycle Guide, that said that this was the best steel bike they had ever ridden, but I took the chance and bought one. It was all true and is the best bike I have ever ridden. If I could only have one bike for the rest of my life this would be it. Superb!

Trek 5000, Klein Quantum, Litespeed Tuscany, Specialized Epic (90's road bike)

[Dec 03, 2002]
jimmm

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff but smooth, and solid. Great seat post clamp, excellent geometry, even in my small 50cm size. GREAT LOOKING!! I have the dark blue with white panels. Found an old -17 ritchey stem in speed blast that looks better than the ubiquitous black!

...I'm thinking...well on my bike the top tube slopes and I wish it was straight. Just comes with small frames I guess. Oh, and I wish the fork was threaded so I could use some of my cool quill stems.

(Price paid is for frame only) WOW!!! This bike absolutely amazes me. I climb better, descend faster and corner quicker than I ever have. Feels like it is on rails but is NOT slow steering. The thing my friend and I both noticed is how solid it feels, like it is all one piece with a direction conection between the front and rear and top and bottom. I have read many reveiws of this bike and none have been bad and some, like the 94 Bicycle Guide, stating it is the best steel frame they had ever ridden. It is the best frame I have ever ridden.

1988 and 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, Gios Compact pro, Rivendell Road, Marin Argenta plus test rides on Trek OCLV and Klein road bikes.

[Aug 01, 2002]
VRcaver

OVERALL
Strength:

Acceleration, handling, comfort.

The ONLY weakness is the routing of the rear brake cable across the top of the top tube. The cable occasionally rattles on rough roads.

This bike is incredible. I purchased it in 1998 and put about 1500 miles on it in the first season. Since then I have not had the opportunity to ride as much (busier job, colder climate), putting on only 1500 miles since then. However, with 3000 miles on the bike, I can say without hesitation that it is a comfort to ride in pretty much any conditions, from flat to extremely steep, and from very slow to nearly 60mph. The handling is incredible in corners, and the acceleration is amazing. This bike feels like it goes without me having to pedal. If I were given the opportunity to choose any other bike out there, I would probably still pick this one. In addition to the wonderful ride qualities, it is also fun having a bike that very few others have, as indicated by the low serial number (254) on the bottom bracket. These factors all come together to point out that this bike is a steal at the going rate, and would still be a great bike if priced much higher.

[Jul 19, 2001]
Erik W

OVERALL
Strength:

Solid stable ride.
Build quality.
Good value for the money.

None at all.

Simply put, I love this bike. My original plan had been to buy a Gios Megalite from Excel. I went to their showroom, when they were having a clearance sale, expecting to walk out with a Gios. But... all Ritchey products were 30% off, so I spontaneously dedided I'd go with the Road Logic instead (Plus it turned out the geometry was better for my build). I wound up saving $300 for the frame and fork. That turned out to be one of the best decisions I've made. I've put nearly 1200 miles on this bike so far and have to say it's a positive thrill to ride. The Road Logic's stability on descents of nearly 60 mph in the mountains near here easliy inspires confidence. It is an extremely smooth ride. This bike climbs like a dream as well. I had initially considered replacing the steel fork with a carbon one but quickly decided I enjoyed the feel of the steel fork. The overall quaility of this frame easily rivals that of custom frames. The joints are superbly welded and the deep blue, almost black paint job is perfect. Should something happen to my current bike I would not hesitate to immediately buy another Road Logic. I'd recommend this bike to anyone looking for a good quality, versitile bike that's worth every penny.

None, first road bike.

[Aug 14, 2001]
Jay Pawar

OVERALL
Strength:

It's fast and light. It corners like it's on rails.

What a great frame. It inspires me to ride everyday. Ohio roads do not compare to those out west or south,but this bike makes you feel like you are riding the glass highway.The original fork gave me to much feedback . So I switched to the carbon one.The only negative I could point out is the old style brake route on the top side of top tube.I think they have since moved it underneath.

[Jul 20, 2001]
Wes

OVERALL
Strength:

Steel. This is the best steel bike I have ever had. Incredibly comfortable and stable. Probably the best balance of lightness and stiffness you can find. Great for long distance riding and (I'm serious) climbing. Ritchey cusom tubing is great. It's thin, but the tubes are drawn so that you'll never hear the chain against the front deraileur.

This is not a crit bike. Too stable. Blasting through corners or descending on mountain switchbacks can be a bit hairy. If you do crits, find something with a more suitable head-tube angle and fork rake.

This is THE bike for comfort, long distance, or general road racing needs. In todays world of criteriums, get an aluminum bike. I ride the Ritchey for training rides in the summer, but I go to aluminum in the winter. Don't get me wrong, I love steel and the Ritchey is the best steel bike out there. But if you race crits every week, this may not be your bike. Oh yeah - 5 stars, but you better know how you ride, what you want in the bike, and your riding style.

Bianchi steel (don't remember the model), gios, gios compact. Steel still rules!!

[Feb 01, 1999]
yash
racer

Strength:

This is a fast and light bike. Even with Campy Athena components and a heavy ass Rolls seat, still weighs in under twenty pounds. A very nice ride, nice paint, and all that. Get one now.

[Feb 01, 1999]
Spectre
racer

Strength:

This is one great frame! It's resilient enough to corner well without feeling spongy in sprints. The ride is nice and plush making it a great bike for long rides. The Ritchey works well for both long races and crits. It's not the fastest handling bike, but for me, its nice, stable feeling while cornering is great for those races in which you're feeling a little too nervous already.The workmanship is great as well. When I first got the bike, I looked at the weld and though I got the fillet brazed frame by mistake.