Specialized 1999 Allez Comp Older Road Bike

1999 Specialized Allez Comp, road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Kinesis fork

[Feb 12, 2008]
Bumblebee Man

OVERALL
Strength:

Very smooth. Great, enjoyable ride. Good handling.

I tiny bit heavy and flexy for alu.
I thought it could've lasted more than 2 years before breaking. It's the only alu frame I've busted.

Ha! :-) My 1999 Allez Comp also broke (it cracked under the bottom bracket), but mine was 2nd hand, so there was no warranty. I was about 200 pounds at the time I was mashing this bike, so it got a good thrashing for about 2 years before it busted.

This was my first alu frame, and I thought it was fantastic. It was a super-smooth ride, but maybe a little flexy for alu in a full-on sprint. I've since had quite a few alu frames that didn't ride as smoothly as this one. Man, I loved it. The only thing was that it was a little heavy for alu -- frame alone: 1727g.

I only bought the frame, and it had all sorts of Shimano stuff and cheap Mavic wheels on it.

Ciocc Pryde, alu Giant, Dedaccia 7003 custom frames, alu Cervelo Soloist, Scapin S2, Cinelli Proxima, BMC Streetfire.

[Feb 23, 2003]
Olyroller

OVERALL
Strength:

It looks good and pretty

It's very sluggish in a sprint

I just broke the drop out on the dirve side. Specilaized is replacing it with (my choice) a Cro Mo frame. That was my first and only alum road frame and I will never go back.

[Feb 17, 2003]
moving up

OVERALL
Strength:

Absolutely outstanding customer service from Specialized - better than I would have dared to hope for; can't see any room for improvement. The bike is light and very reasonably priced for very high performance in return.

Rough ride; parts failure - spokes 500 miles; frame 4,000 miles; stock seat was seriously painful initially; stock wheels supplied with poor quality plastic liner.

Mixed review. Rode it 4,000 miles, and then the frame cracked at the dropout. Specialized receives an A++ for service. They replaced the frame with an '03 upgrade and I only had to pay for the bike shop changeover (A++ to Bike Sport Shop in Austin - highly recommended). The bike rode great and I enjoyed it immensely. It was fast, steady, predictable, great climbing and an all around pleasure to ride. Had to replace spokes within 500 miles, which were a widely reported flaw with the stock Mavics. Original wheel liners were poor quality, soft plastic, which caused several flats until replaced with Velox tape. The seat was an implement of medieval torture, but after a good bit of saddle soap to soften it up, it was much improved. New frame is a great performer, but just could not get comfortable on it. Loved both the old frame and new one until I took a demo ride on a Trek carbon frame. There IS a difference if you are riding longer rides on rougher pavement like the asphalt covered gravel around Austin. The Specialized is spectacular on smooth roads and it accelerates, flies and climbs like a wonder, but, it is rough riding in comparison with the Trek carbon frame. In my experience, the Specialized frame significantly contributes to overall fatigue after about an hour in comparison with the carbon frame. Both were equipped with Ultegra.

Trek 5200 (most recent); Specialized E5 frame (replaced the Allez frame)

[Jan 15, 2003]
Charles

OVERALL

On September 30th I posted a review regarding my Specialized Allez Comp. I reported a broken frame. As an update, I want the readers to know that Specialized replaced this frame with a new 2003 Allez Pro complete with new fork, 1 1/8 carbon steerer tube, and carbon seat post. I have not had a chance to ride the bike yet. The warranty service exceeded my expectations.

[Sep 30, 2002]
Charles

OVERALL
Strength:

Good on climbs. Nice appearence. Okay first road bike.

Harsh riding, especially on chip seal roads. The road buzz causes me a lot of fatigue. A centruy ride is my limit on this bike. The I have upgraded twice to the best Specialized body geometry saddle with no luck. I finally went to San Marco Aero for best comfort. The CXP 23 rims were poorly welded and machined and would not stay true. I had the rear rim replaced once under warranty because it so far out of true from the factory. I upgarded to Rolfs for training and Velomax for mountain rides. The Velomax wheels have been the best improvement on this bike. The frame broke last week at the right chain stay at the drop out. I have not heard from the factory yet on warranty, but assume the fame will be replaced. The right brake level rattled since new. This is not good long distance bike, but is well suited for shorter rides and fast training. For longer rides, I installed a suspension seat post which did help my comfort. In all fairness, I have just out grown what this bike can do and can't expect $4,000 performance for $1,300.00.

This was my first road bike. I purchased this bike because it was the best price I could find for a full ultrega bike.

[Nov 24, 2001]
Patrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Rides smooth. Quick acceleration. Flies downhill without even trying. New frame for free!

The frame broke! Ultegra rattle.

This is my first road bike after riding a mtn bike for years. So I don''t have a good basis for comparison, but I have been generally amazed at how smoothly everything has worked, and how little maintenance has been required. However, after 2-1/2 years, and more than 11,000 miles I broke the frame. It cracked at the rear drop out where the derailer attaches. The crack went through one of the two screw holes that holds on the derailer. The bike shop said this is a common failure point, and I had no problem getting the frame replaced for free. The new frame is a 2001, and the dropout is designed better, but the geometry of the frame is a bit different. I don''t hold the frame failure against the bike because I put alot of miles on it, I ride the bike really hard sometimes, and I am heavy for my size(200lbs, 5''10"). Frames made out of aluminum will always fail eventually (it has no fatigue threshold), but I like how it rides. The only other problem I''ve had is the well known "Ultegra-Rattle." This seems to really annoy some people. It doesn''t bug me much.

[Nov 14, 2001]
sdplaid

OVERALL
Strength:

Excellent frame - stiff and strong. Ultegra just briliant (and quieter than Record). Durable rims.

Ride quality. I guess if I wanted comfort I''d go for a full-suspension but the Aluminium frame lets you know about every bump on the road - the price for a good climbing and sprinting frame

2 years and about 4000 miles later, this bike still impresses. Great drivetrain - the Ultegra set has performed flawlessly. The frame is stiff and strong - I ride a 54 and tip the scales at 210 and it doesn''t creak or complain when I stand on the pedals. I love the geometry of Specialized road frames - the long top tube suits my shape perfectly (5''10" with a 30" inseam results in a long back!) I never used the stock saddle - I upgraded to Body Geometry Comp - but even the upgrade doesn''t quite give enough comfort on the long hauls. I''m planning on changing to a Terry Fly to reduce impact from the stiff frame. The rims are strong and have taken a serious amount of abuse without popping a spoke or bending in any way. As has been said many times, it''s difficult to mount a fully inflated rear because of the short chainstays but that''s a small price to pay for an excellent value piece of machinery.

Speciliazed Stumpjumper M4 Comp

[Feb 10, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Very fast, great control, good feel.

frame stiffness can be a pain on longer rides.
the original saddle is very very uncomfortable, i would recommend to immediately replace.

excellent bike for the money.
would recommend to anyone ranging from casual road riders to racers. serious racers would probably want to replace the wheels with something a little bit lighter though.
overall: two thumbs up!

cannondale, trek, de bernardi

[Feb 01, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

BANG FOR THE BUCK!! Ultegra,carbon fork for $500 less than C-Dale or Trek. Looks cool,rides fast,climbs fast

Stock seat is a pain in the butt...get a new one fast!

I looked at many bikes in the price range and all came with
105's or less, no carbon fork(a must with alu frame)would have to pay $400-600 more for a similar spec'd C-dale or Trek. Looks way fast (is)Just do yourself a favor and get a new seat before you ride more than 50 feet.

Maranoni Corsa

[Apr 06, 1999]
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

light,beautiful to look at , and a joy to ride

should come with dual compound Team Turbo tire, the first thing that I bought for the bike

coming from the MTB world,I bought the bike to get training diversity. My wife says that I am more excited about riding this Allez Comp, than I was when I bought my last mega buck FS MTB. That is a pretty telling statement.Awesome ride !!! quite a looker too...

Cannondale Cadd # road bikes