Specialized 1999 S-Works Road Older Road Bike

1999 Specialized S-Works Road, road race & triathlon, Shimano Dura-Ace components, Time Stilleto fork

[Sep 12, 2016]
Jorge Alcedan Leon

OVERALL
Strength:

Warranty

cost.

Found my 2002 report from my old Specialized. They send a new frame, giveme lot of kilometers of pleassure.
Now in 2016 have 04 Specialized: Venge, Sirrus and two Epics,one bought last week.
J.Alcedan
Lima,PERU.
[email protected]
51 999 440 535

[Jun 03, 2003]
Craig Pavia

OVERALL
Strength:

nice blend of acceleration and stiff ride. Fairly light at 17.4 LBS for a 56cm after some part tweeks. Flashy paint job. Pro pedigree thanks to the now defunct Festina team (Beloki rode the bike during the 2000 tour). Forks and saddle are great, Frame almost.

A shade too stiff for non-sprinters. Lacks high level finishing components (see above)of it's chief rivals. OEM wheels need the trash bin by now, even if never ridden. Replace with a more forgiving wheelset like Shimano 7700's.

This review is for the 99 SWorks M4, not an Allez like many of the reviews that are in this search (Ultegra on an S-Works?). I have owned the bike since it hit the cover of Bicycling Mag nearly 4 years ago. The bike is probabley 1 cm to large for me at 56cm, but I've done a good job of making it fit with a new stem and bar combo from 3TTT. The M4 is stiff thanks to the oversized aluminum tubes that are manipulated with other metals, but is still aluminum at heart. It reminds me of the early Cannondales in-terms of acceleration, but also adds a nice ride which my 'Canon R600' did not have. I use the "nice" in comparison only to the 'R600' however, as many other modern machines offer a more supple ride in the same "high-end" category. I think the M4 is a good bike that missed the mark set by the 5000-Series by Trek and the CAAD Street-Rods produced by Cannondale. I never liked the Ritchey bars and low end stem...They begged to be replaced day one. I also could include the headset and seatpost, but they were not quite begging to go. The wheel set that came with the bike was terrible (Mavic CXP-33) and was trashed by even the 'softies' at Bicycling. Tires were good, but they were color coded with the black and red theme...Very cheesy in my opinion. At the time the one inch Headset/stem standard on all top end bikes hand changed to 1 1/8, except for Specialized, so if you purchase this bike used be ready to retro-fit to a one inch steerer combo. The Time forks are outstanding, light and wonderful on the road, they do a good job of masking the super-stiff rear of the bike. As a matter of fact I added the same forks to my Vitus they are so good. Oddly the folks at Specialized tried to sabotage them by using cheap headset components instead of the "carbon saving" FSA expander. I had to dig out a 'star' nut that was wedged into the carbon steerer...Very bad.

I've ridden almost every major competitor to this bike. The 5500 from Trek is a better bike, but the boyz from Wisconsin can keep the graphics. The Cannondale CAAD 5 was about the same as the S-Works

[Nov 14, 2002]
alcedan

OVERALL
Strength:

Stable at speeeds, very smooth

Weld at the drop outs. I seems to have stress concentatration in the holes that secures rear derailleurs metal insert to the alluminium frame. It broke exactly in this point.

I bought my Specialized Allez Comp in 1999 and ride it only a few weekends and once a week in the morning.In April 2002 I start riding 40 miles each morning, and also loose 20 pounds in 3 months.But two weeks ago the frame snapped the drop out on the drive side.Now I´m waiting an answer form Specialized for their 5 year warranty

Trek 2300 carbon / alluminium

[Mar 02, 1999]
weekend warrior

Strength:

Very interested in buying the '99 S-Works road - seeking objective feedback - especially on ride quality. Currently I ride a '96 C-dale R900 - looking for a more compliant ride while maintaining that Alumin. quickness.

[Apr 20, 1999]

OVERALL
Strength:

Handling, resilience, stiffness, steel is real and all that! Made in Japan, when Specialized was ALOT more specialied than it is now...

Hard to find!

Well, I want to put in my 10 cents worth not for one of these new and wonderful models, but for my 1987 (yes, EIGHTY SEVEN) Specialized Allez SE. I inherited the bike in immaculate condition from a friend back in '94, and it had the old Suntour Superbe Pro stuff on it! Damn, I even think it had cloth tape! Retro!
Anyway, as many fellow cyclists have been wont to do, I swapped all my early '90s Dura Ace parts onto this rig and I was rollin'!!! It is a STEEL frame and fork, from back when Specialized only had two road frames, the Allez, and the Allez SE. Pretty much the only major difference was on some of the specs, and that the dropouts were Campy on the Allez, and Shimano on the SE. Anyway, this thing is plenty stiff but comfortable. It corners like it was on rails, and is VERY responsive. It was constructed with what Specialized simply called special series double butted tubes. I love it so much, that I recently sent it out to the Portland, Oregon facility that paints all of Specialized's 'high end' framesets.
In short, while I'm sure that the newer generation Allez-es are sweet, I recommend hunting down an '80s model.

Specialized Epic carbon Allez

[Apr 20, 1999]

Strength:

Woops, sorry, my rig is actually a 1984, not an '87... what was I thinking?

[Sep 01, 1999]

OVERALL
Strength:

carbon fork with M4 makes for the best ride i've had

M4 best bike Eh'

very very old novara

[May 19, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

This bike is super light and stiff where you want it to be

Chain stay sticks out a little far

This bike is light, fast and climbs wonderfully. It is very stable on fast down hills. While climbing you feel no frame flex what so ever. All the power goes to the wheel. The only thing I had to get used to was the chain stays stick out a bit far in the back so I had to adjust my ankle placement. I probably have better form now.
Great Ride.

Fiori

[Jun 16, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Light frame with exellent tubing. Great rigidity and feel.

Not on this bike-are you kidding!

Fast fast fast. This bike is very quick and lively and likes to be ridden to the MAX. It has good handling
both on the climbs and on the decents. It's about time
good old yanky technology gave the over-rated european
trash a run for their money. I recommend this bike to anyone who wants to increase their average speed and decrease the effort in attaining it. Simply awesome!

[Sep 23, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Great ride, stable at speeds, stiff but suprisingly smooth

The welds at the drop outs

I really dug this bike, BUT and it is a big BUT the frames don't prove to hold up. I received my S-works as a warranty replacement November 99 for the Allez comp I had purchased June of 99. I snapped the drop out on the drive side on the Allez comp after less than 6 months of riding. Specialized stepped right up with out question and upgraded me to an M4 S-works, Kudos to them for their prompt service in that regard. I received my S-works within 3 weeks, I built the bike up and fell in love with the ride, until today. Once again, the frame snapped at the drop out on the drive side. I haven't heard of any other frames breaking neither has my LBS, but now that I've broken two specialized frames in the identical spot, it seems quite more than a coincidence. I'm a farely heavy and aggressive rider, I spend most of time riding one speeds and have a tendency to really torque big gears, maybe this is the cause, so if you ride in a similiar manner you may want to think twice about purchasing this frame. It's a shame too, because I really do like the ride.

Allez Carbon Epic, Allez Comp,