Specialized 2000 Allez A1 Elite Triple Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra Triple components, Kinesis fork

[Apr 23, 2020]
Dagger63

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, feels like a solid bike, rides well a bit unbalanced front to back but I changed this with a smaller neck. Ultegra everything makes shifting positive and certain. Not as responsive as steel but still overall a great bike very fast

Aluminum is not my favorite

Price Paid:
Purchased:
Used
Model Year:
2000
[Oct 23, 2002]
danielc

OVERALL
Strength:

Good components. Ritchey stem/handlebars and wheelsets. Color scheme (black/silver/red) looks great! I love how the bike just accelerates uphill with ease.

Not sure if i would pay full retail ($1800) for it. Bikes a little heavy (slightly above 20lbs) for a 57cm compact frame.

This is actually a review for the 2001 elite with 105/ultegra. Overall a fast and responsive bike. I upgraded my headset to a Chris King and noticed a significant difference in the handling. The ritchey aero wheelset works well but i think they flex on hard climbs. I haven't had any problems with the bike except for a broken rear spoke after 1K miles. I was planning to overhaul the frame with dura-ace, ksyriums, carbon seatpost, etc. but decided to get a new frame instead. The ride can be a bit bumpy when i'm commuting .

First road bike, was riding a specialized mountain bike for 5 yrs.

[Jul 30, 2002]
Klimbingking

OVERALL
Strength:

-Absolutely great looking bike. Love the colors scheme -Ultegra. Hard to get Ultegra on a good bike for a grand. Nearly flawless mechanically. -FAST. Great climber and super fast on decsents. Speed. -Super control

-Very stiff. That's aluminum for you -Rear spokes. The other posters were on the money. The first rear spoke went after about 400 miles, the 2nd another 100 after that. I ended up getting the wheel redone and my mechanic said it is %100 chronic of the bike and that specific spoke. JUNK! SHame on you specialized for putting crap on a nice bike. It was a great look though, the black spokes. -Saddle. I still am using it but this is the last season. Just doesn't work WELL which is what I want.

I will first say I really love my bike. I will have to hack on it where it needs hacks, but I love my bike. Upgrades I will do or have done. -Spokes. Done. -Saddle -Carbon fork. -A higher end wheelset. My hope is with these few it will soften the ride a little. I rode the STP(200 miles, one day) and took a beating. Maybe just me, but a softer bike would have helped. I love the bike and how quick it is. I would buy it again but would have the upgrades done at the shop. It is my first quality road bike and don't want to give it up or replace it but I sure envy the dudes on the TI or Car Fib setups. In a few years, I'll break down and get a new baby. This one still has my eye though. Enough to put $$ into it still.

[Dec 31, 2001]
Del

OVERALL
Strength:

Light, stiff, pretty frame. Cheap even with the corners cut (cranks, fork, etc).

Spokes, rear dropout, heavy stock wheels.

Nice looking, light frame and good componentry for the price. I had the same spoke troubles as others and the flawed rear dropout design is annoying (skewer cap must be removed or tire must be flat to install the wheel). The aluminum fork really brings out the rattle of Ultegra shifters and is as uncomfortable as to be expected. Climbs very well.

Lemond, Trek, and a Klein Quantum.

[Nov 22, 2001]
leeroy996

OVERALL
Strength:

I haven''''t been riding and racing for about 8 years. This was my introduction to the latest technology. The bike is quite light and rigid. Certainly doesn''''t have the comfort of my old steel bikes. I really like the sloping top tube. It is ok value for money.

Specialized did a very poor job of putting this bike togeather. Firstly, there are runs in the paint and the stickers are not straight. Then there''''s the spokes. I think I got 100 miles. Luckily Wheatridge replaced the spokes. Then my crank decided to come loose while climbing off the saddle - crank was wrecked). Then my rear changer almost fell off. All of these problems are easy to fix by specialized and taint an otherwise good bike. One major design flaw is the specialized saddle, it is so uncomfortable.

A good bike. However, a few to many easy to fix flaws that Specialized should address.

Eddy Merckx Bianchi Raleigh Diamant Cadex

[Sep 27, 2001]
Bill Henderson

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultegra components, speed

Spokes, only reason for lower overall rating

Great bike for the price. Serious upgrade from 12 year old steel Giant Perigee. Spokes on rear wheel broke after 150 miles, bike shop replaced spokes and hub (Shimano 105) immediately, no questions asked. Great bike on rolling hills, fast and good control.

[Apr 08, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Love the aero look and stiff ride of the frame. Ultegra components work flawlessly. It all comes together on our steep uphill climbs.

Decals are poorly adhered. The handlebar tape tears very easily (after one use). Not thrilled with the Richey hubs.

Paid $1299 for a great looking bike with Ultegra. What more
can I say. I love it.

Looked at Trek and Cannondale - much more expensive for the same components

[May 13, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Price for a bike with full Ultegra.

Stiff ride.

I think for someone who values the components more than the comfort, this would be good choice. When I compared this bike to the others I test rode, it just didn't feel as comfortable or as responsive. For me, there was a noticable decrease in pedaling efficiency when compared to the other bikes I tested. Another thing that made me stay away from the Specialized bike is when I checked their website, they only offer 5 year warranties on their aluminum framed bikes while all the other manufacturers offer lifetime warranties. This bike I would recommend for the younger rider who is on a budget.

Cannondale R2000, Trek 2300, Klein Quantum

[Jun 10, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Overall good quality, components and looks. Value.

The rear wheel cannot be removed without taking the skewer cap off. This is a serious design overview. The last thing you what to do on the side of the road while changing a flat tire is taking care of a small cap and a springy.

Got this bike 25% off MSRP. For 1000.00 I could afford much better components than what I had in mind. The ride is harsh because it is Al but it also handles very well on corners and feels solid at high speeds. It has the following components: Ultegra brakes, cassette, rear and front derailleurs. Ritchey hubs and Specialized cranks and chaingears. Mavic 23 rims and Specialized tires and saddle. My is 60cm and it weights 20 pounds without pedals. Add pedals and a toolkit 22 pounds. I would recommend this bike if you do not mind too much removing the skewer cap to take the rear wheel off. Also you should find it at about $1000.00 in the San Diego area were competition between LBS is fierce. When I bought it, at least two large bike stores had it on sale for that price.

Ride test only: Raleigh, Fuji and Trek bikes.

[Jun 26, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Ultegra components for the price.

Stiff ride, difficult to take off back wheel

This is a great bike if the rider would like to get good components for less money. It is an overall good bike. Very afforable. No problem with the Ultegra components, but would like to have a less stiff ride. What can you ask for $1k?

N/A