Univega 2000 Modo Vincere Triple Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Campagnolo Veloce Triple components, Univega SABRE fork

[Sep 07, 2008]
Wahssoccer12

OVERALL
Strength:

Lightweight, aerodynamic, smooth, fairly stiff, looks cool.

Original owner had switched up the braking so the left side was the back. really confusing but i haven't had many problems yet.

I have had a Specialized Allez and and A Fuji professional before riding this great machine. Although my Fuji is much lighter, it's funny that this steel ride is lighter than my aluminum allez. Originally this bike was bought for my dad, but he got a great deal on a Kestrel Talon so after 4 years in the garage i decided to fix it up. Great ride, smooth and responsive. First bike with campagnolo so we will see how that goes. I plan to write another review soon after riding it more.

Specialized Allez, Fuji Professional.

[Aug 19, 2007]
Hilt Opsevtow

it's a really good bike

[Jul 08, 2004]

OVERALL
Strength:

Veloce just keeps gettin' better Triple ring adds granny gear just in case Easy to deck out in upgrades Dead sexy bike, no doubt about it

Watch the BB and, as a rule, regularly inspect your gear!!! Get some rim strips to boost the rim liners' protection against flats Aluminum fork can make for a stiffer ride

When I bought this bike upon my return to the US after some years abroad, it presented itself as my first "real" road machine. Its original owner had purchased it to use on the local rail-to-trail -- shame on the idiot salesperson who helped make that mistake happen. I purchased the bike 26 miles later, virtually untouched and at half the retail price. The Univega never worked as my main commuting bike (a hybrid, soon to be a cyclocross, serves that purpose), but I do take it to work when I want to ride FAST. Finding this frame and its components (excluding the Sabre fork, which I plan to swap for a carbon) was truly a great thing. The Veloce drivetrain and cockpit have served well and get better with seasoning. The bike is light and responsive, yet strong enough to handle a rider who likes to pile on the miles. While ultimately satisfied and completely in love with my Univega, two serious issues have popped up with my Veloce group's left crank and bottom bracket (Campagnolo issues all): the former cracked near the spindle under normal riding conditions and the latter needed replacing after only 300 miles. The new crank has held up well and I'll soon invest in a high-end BB to keep my machine rolling smoothly for another couple years!

Raleigh Record (with Suntour, nonetheless) Trek 1000

[Aug 04, 2003]
AIR

OVERALL
Strength:

ITM,Campy,Vittoria....

Don't need the granny gear. Oh wait, I'm 17!

I'd always wanted to get into road riding as I'm a mtber and I couldn't afford anything too expensive to start out with, so I got lucky when I came across this bike on a closeout. I'm very glad I got this bike for my first road bike because of the great components and ride that it has. I ride a lot of very rough roads and the steel frame really absorbs the bumps nicely, the Campy stuff performs very well, and, although the bike isn't that light, it sprints and rides very stiffly and lightly.

Kestral

[Oct 22, 2002]
leroy

OVERALL
Strength:

The frame is it's best asset. It rides light - rides like it's lighter than it is. Compliant, eats up bad roads. Stable handling - no hands, no problem. Sturdy. An endearing workhorse. good century bike - good commuter. comfortable. cool paint job.

Univega has no snob cache. Wait, that's a strength! In fact, the brand has been off the market a while. Hard to find.

This is a follow-up to my April, 2001 review. I wish I could rate this bike higher than 5. In summary the Univega has improved with age. It makes me realize what a good value it really is. Handles securely and floats like a butterfly. The veloce triple is excellent; it's worn in well. I just rode it home from work tonight - it rides like a cadillac.

Peugeot px10; gios megalite triple; cannondale caad5

[May 17, 2002]
Paratrooper

OVERALL
Strength:

Campagnolo, Selle Italia, and Columbus steel. This thing just makes you feel like you''''''''re riding in the Tour with the big boys.

None. None. None.

Great bike. Awesome price, Thanks Larry!! I''''''''m sorry to see Univega go but I''''''''m glad I got to buy one of the last bikes they made. I got lucky in that the LBS had one left in my size 59 and wanted to clear it out of his inventory. I really have no reason at all to complain about this wonderful bike. It''''''''s by far the best I''''''''ve ever owned.

Trek, Schwinn, Peugeot, Raleigh

[Apr 27, 2002]
xamboni

OVERALL
Strength:

Campy components; Looks: this is a great looking bike. I have the canary yellow and black one and I have gotten so many complements on it; Comfortable to ride: the frame fits me well (47 in), I don''t have a problem with the seat (but maybe that''s because I''m a girl).

Chain will slip off occasionally, but that could just be that the cable has stretched since I have bought it (only a matter of adjusting). This doesn''t happen too often, though; Sometimes, it will just slip off the outside. Clips aren''t too horrible but it has been difficult for me to get my shoe in because of the way they always turn over to the back side w/out the clip.

This bike is great. It''s a shame that the Univega name isn''t more well-known. At the time of purchase, I upgraded to record shifters, a slice carbon fiber fork, and michelin tires. (all of these upgrades are also highly recommended b/c i love my tires, my ride is smooth, and the shifters are great.) The bike rides like a dream. I was riding a Trek mountain bike before, and since I bought this bike I have become an avid rider. It has smooth, split-second shifting (better than shimano in my opinion). This bike is a great deal for the price, and I highly recommend it for any level of cyclist.

[Aug 16, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Italian all the way; good shifters, derailleurs, stem; sharp cornering; price

no-name headset, no pump peg, no pannier braze-ons

I've been on MTBs for many years, but this is my first road bike since a Schwinn Tourer (10-speed!) in the late 80's. So, I'm no expert on road bikes, but I simply love this one. I rode it and it spoke to me.
I bought the 2000 model (blue and black fade) on close-out.. for the price, it's simply unbeatable. Corners confidently, the frame is easy on those bumpy country roads, rides like a dream, absolutely beautiful, fairly rare in these parts, and it fits my body shape. I don't agree with the other reviews that the saddle (Sella Tri-Matic) is lousy, but I have a tough behind. If you want a fun, fast, long-life bike for cheap, buy this. If you are more serious about racing, maybe go up a step to the Modo Volare.
Summary: Even at the list price (about $850), this bike is a great value, and will last you a long time.

looked at everything; rode LeMonde Tourmalet, Nevada City

[Aug 16, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Rear derailleur (Campy Veloce), brakes, shifters (I love the thumb shifters!) and steel tubing (Columbus).

I read the other reviews and many of them mentioned the pedals and saddle. My LBS swapped out the saddle with an Oasis (really comfy, by the way) and swapped out the pedals for a computer, cages, and bottles. The front derailleur (Campy Daytona) isn't the smoothest but my LBS said that triple chainrings don't really allow for crisp shifting, even if I swapped it for a Campy Super Record. I guess I'll just have to adjust to it.

I am just getting back into riding after my orthopaedic surgeon told me I'd need new knees well before hitting 50 if I kept running. I used to ride in the mid '80s when Italian bikes were all the rage and Shimano was just starting to gain a strong foothold. I have an Italian frame with Campy components but it is now too small for me. I couldn't spend $2,000 so I figured I would have to go with a Shimano-equipped bike. I tested a few and was impressed by the 105 group and even the Tiagra group (keep in mind that I was comparing them to a lower end Campy group from the early '80s, Campy Nuovo Gran Sport). Then I made a call to the Bike Rack, a LBS that carries year-end closeouts from the major distributors. On a whim, I stopped in and he had a 56 cm Modo Vincere. I rode it and then bought it the next day. The shifting mechanism really impressed me and the overall feel of the Campy group was better than Shimano 105. I couldn't pass it up at $699 when the other LBSs had Tiagra-equipped bikes for more than that. I've only ridden it for about a week but I am very impressed with it. The triple sure has saved me on some steep grades (there really are quite a few hills in the KC metro area AND I'm not 18 anymore). If you are looking around in this price range, look hard for this one! Don't be afraid to go Italian just because everybody else in your club rides Shimano! You will not be disappointed!

Cannondale & Trek

[Jul 21, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Cromoly frame, campy components, and the cost which was excellent (under $800).

Wellgo Pedals. Will upgrade to two sided spd's ASAP.
Any pedal recommendations?

Swap out the pedals and you have an excellent ride.