Waterford Precision Cycles 2000 1200 Road/Ultegra Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Waterford fork

[Jul 28, 2002]
Pedro

OVERALL
Strength:

The custom build and ride quality are absolutely amazing. The frame simply swallows concrete seams, gravel, and uneven pavementlike no one's business.

Under heavy acceleration (like out of corners in crits) I do notice some frame flex, but hey it's STEEL!!! And yes the mid 90's paint job has seen better days.

This is an insane bike. The quality of craftmenship is some of the best I've seen. It's Reynold's 753 so just a little heavier than 853. (4 lbs). The bike is a 55cm (I'm 5'11, 175lbs.) with a long 57cm top tube.

Bianchi Steel, Trek 5200,Serotta Steel, Giant TCR, Steelman.

[Mar 23, 2002]
Bob

OVERALL
Strength:

Comfortable. Just makes you want to come back & ride it again time after time. I initially wanted to get a Kestrel carbon fiber bike but they wanted $2,200 for the EMS frame alone - way out of my budget. The Waterford was $1,000 less for the frame & rides beautifully. Since purchasing the bike in late 1995 I have logged 14,000 miles on it & it feels better now than it did new, after ditching the cheap Specialized tires & Flite seat it came with & getting the comfy Continental tires & Brooks saddle.

Not exactly lightweight - but who cares if you have a lightweight frame that beats you up?

The 1200 is a traditional frame that rivals any ti or carbon fiber out there. There''s a reason people still buy steel frames & the 1200 is a great example. The frame isn''t set up to be a criterium bike - more like a road racing or endurance-ride bike. So if you think you may want a bike for an all-day ride here ya go. It can compete with anything out there.

Custom Reynolds 531, Basso Gap w/Columbus tubing

[Mar 16, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

I actually have a W-ford 1200 from about 1996 but it is basically the same as the 2000 model. reynolds 753 tubing is very light and resilient, slightly heavier frameset than 853 which is welded, but looking down and seeing classic, custom, machined lugs joining the main tubes together is well worth a few extra ounces. Besides, the lower brazing temperatures that are used for this frame's construction ensures that only a "credentialed" frame-builder will have been responsible for putting it together to some pretty strict tolerances. Still responds and climbs like a dream after 5 years of riding.

In my custom size 51/52, because of my short legs, my front wheel hits my toes if the foot is in the 3 o'clock position and the wheel is turned to the side while standing at a stop. Also it may rust... long after I'm done riding it!

Get this bike if you despise the run-away fads that are making anything to use space-age materials and un-proven designs just to sell a bike today. Definitely a throw-back to the all-around, solid feel and geometry of steel racing bikes. 5 turds for value, cuz' it will feel as good the day you get it as it will 5 years later. Overall 5 for the coolness of riding a bike that has lugs.

Gios torino vintage bike
Litespeed Ti tri-bike

[Apr 02, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Outstanding build quality. Great paint. Proven geometry.

If there was one, it would be a slightly stiff ride but then again, I am only 150lbs and a "smoother" bike would not feal as resilient.

After working in shops for years and owning several "nice" bikes, the Waterford was the choice. It is the only bike I have kept for more than a couple years... and I don't lust after anything else anymore (A DeRosa would be nice to hang on the wall, maybe). Other bikes may be different but you can't do better than this. Corners on rails, floats down the road, stable at 50mph, looks like a million dollars and has some history to boot. High marks for value when you consider the cost of some other bikes.

Kona Haole custom, Kona Kapu, Trek 2100, Trek aluminum, Trek OCLV, Merlins, Klein, DeRosa... Too many to list. I worked in shops for more than 5+ yrs.

[Apr 19, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

beauty, build quality, THE RIDE, minimalist lugs, head-tube cable stops

do waterfords have weaknesses?

the waterford has ended my search for the perfect road bike. if i can save up for a new paint job, i'll be in heaven.... for racing only i'd probably choose another klein for the sizable weight difference, but the waterford's ride is incomparable. also, considering the likely lifespan of this bike (long after i'm too old to rub the rings on a litespeed the waterford will be stiff and beautiful), it's a bargain.

klein quantum pro, b-stone rb-1, others...

[Jun 05, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Strong and stable, but still very agile

none that are significant, the paintjob is not perfect, but not terrible

I'm into my 2nd season riding this bike, and I like it better every ride. I really think this is a bike that exploits your potential, whether its riding uphill, sprinting on the flats, or barrelling downhill. I can ride my 1200 with confidence during tight cornering, and under heavy torque on steep uphills. The lugwork is beautiful, but the paint job is a slightly inconsistent. I'm still glad I picked the vibrant yellow, very identifiable and motivating!

Schwinn Paramount

[Jun 20, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Beautiful design, "The Ride", steel, great HJ lugs.

Slight weight disadvantage compared to other custom frames (like Steelman). Beware of the narrow width between the chainstays at the bottom bracket.

Original 1200 have 27.4 seatpost which is very hard to find. Not a problem when ordered with the bike.

I am very pleased with my Waterfords. Unlike other reviewers both of my bikes (one 4 yrs old, one 3 yrs old) came with perfect Imron paint. They both still look like new with lots of miles. I definitely give the nod to the Kestrel fork equiped one as my favorite. Tradition say steel fork, but the EMS fork improves the ride and corners better.

Although, it may have changed you need to be patient if you order one of these custom.

Buy this bike if ride AND style matter. Unlike others, both of my bikes have the best paint I have seen on a frame with the exception of Richard Sachs.

[Jun 20, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Beautiful lugs and totally classic looks

The original paint job applied in 1996 could have been better. I solved this with a repaint in 2000.

You can't do any better than this for a road bike. Don't buy this if you're looking for the latest lightweight thing, but do buy it if you want a timeless road bike that rides like a dream. After 4 years of riding this bike, I had it repainted, and it is better than new.

Bianchi steel, Trek 2500

[Sep 09, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Aesthetics. Reynolds 753. Steering/handling is amazing.

Bottom bracket flexes on my 58 cm frame. Horizontal dropouts and short chainstays require tires to be deflated for installation. Vertical dropouts are nicer. 27.4 mm seatpost. Not a huge problem since American Classic makes a 27.4 post and it is the best post there is.

My Candy Red bike is one of the best looking or THE best looking frames I have ever seen. Its a beautiful bike.

Frame is 4 pounds and fork is 1.5 pounds. Total bike weight is 21.5 pounds.

Handling/steering is fabulous. It responds instantly to dodge any pebble in the road. Yet is neutral and stable enough for double centuries. Bottom bracket is low so cornering is great.

I'm 185 pounds and can induce the front derailleur to rub the chain when I put a lot of force on the pedals.

Top tube on my standard 58 cm frame is 57 cm. Normal length for bike frames. But too short for me. I need the 1 cm longer top tube Waterford offers as an option for $125 extra.

I purchased my bike through Gary Hobbs. Frame and fork were $900. Frame was made in August 1995 according to the serial number. Not significant since they haven't changed the frame since they started making them in the early 1990s.

I've always wanted a Reynolds 753 frame. Now I have one and I have no reason to look for another bike. Unless its a custom frame to get a slihtly longer top tube.

Trek 520, Schwinn Sports Tourer.

[Apr 23, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Fits great - they did a great job of helping get this sized correctly. I'm a long torso, short legged rider and Waterford's customization options made a great fit feasible.
Well built and stable - goes down hill smoothly at 50 mph (faster than my comfort zone...)

Abysmal painting capability (they've painted it three times) and it still isn't right.

If you have the inclination to spend, value/$ is unmatched - but you have figure that they might not get a paint job that matches the bike's reputation.

Litespeed, Klein, Bianchi