Waterford Precision Cycles 2000 2200/Ultegra Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra components, Waterford fork

[Jun 02, 2018]
commutenow

OVERALL
Strength:

My Waterford 2200 doesn’t have the Ultegra group but a mixture. I love how light it rides and how fast I feel on it. I think it makes me better at hill climbing.

If it has a weakness I haven’t found it.

Purchased:
Used
[Jun 02, 2018]
commutenow

Strength:

If it has a weakness I haven’t found it.

Purchased:
Used
[Jun 22, 2001]

OVERALL
Strength:

Craftsmanship, custom tuned geometry and tubing, incredible ride.

none.

You can't buy a better bike. I went for custom geometry, and the Waterford staff spent A LOT of time dialling in my geometry and preferred ride characteristics, and then built the frame EXACTLY how I wanted it, enough so that I sold my other 3 steel bikes when it arrived and ordered a similar Waterford cyclocross frame.

Kestrel, Merlin, Trek, Seven, and countless custom US and Italian steel brands

[Apr 10, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

853 frame. Beautiful work of art welds. Every little detail taken care of.

Not a one.

When you push the pedal down for the first downstroke there's like this, "mmmmmmm......yeah......" feeling that goes through the bike. The geometry is perfect...not a time trials bike, but the kind of bike you could ride cross country. The 853 frame soaks up the hard peaks of road roughness, but the rear triangle holds true even in a hard sprint.

I took this baby out for a test ride and didn't come back for a half hour. The shop owner wasn't upset. He knew that regardless of the fact that I had driven up in a 13 year old car with 150,000 miles on it and no air conditioning (in Florida), that once I rode this 2200, I would find a way to pay for it.

There are a lot of nice bikes out there. When you buy one, you really feel like you bought something beautiful. Something you will want to keep for a long time.

When I bought this bike, I immediately started thinking of who I would leave it to in my will, if I had one.

So for the star ratings here...even if I hadn't paid only $1800 for it, I'd rate it a great value even at the list price of $2500. Seriously, the frame rides so smooth that you feel like you could drink it. Overall, this is the best thing I have ever ridden.

I've ridden everything roadie. Carbon, Ti, Steel, Alum. Specialized, Cannondale, Litespeed, Lemond, Bianchi, blah blah blah

[Apr 15, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff performance, yet lush ride. The greatest combo! Solid in every way.

Must protect steel from the elements to make it last.

I love this bike. I bought it used after researching the reliability of the frame and the integrity of the company. These babies are performance work horses. I love the lively feel of the steel ride, its hard to go to alum or carbon after the luxury of steel. Maybe I'd take Ti, but to much $$$$. They are hand built, lugged frames, and have an old school look, but high end performence. Take care of the frame and you will never be unhappy. They use 853 tubing so are stiff and light for steel.

Other comparable Ti, alum, carbon etc...

[Jun 13, 2000]

Strength:

Just wanted to update my feelings on the Waterford. If anything I love this steed more than I did when I first reviewed it, and more than I did when I first bought it. This was the best investment I have ever made.

[Jul 01, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

- Light
- Stiff
- Responsive
- Stable
- Beautifully Constructed

Mine won't be built with Shimano parts

My Veloce died on my hitch rack in a rear end collision with a pick up truck last weekend, so State Farm (the other guy's insurance company) is buying me a new bike. I want to give a certain LBS some business because their service is simply outstanding. The owner of this shop is a long time Schwinn Paramount fan and Waterford has been on my radar screens for a while as a desirable steel frame for the century rides I favor, so it's a natural selection.

I took the bike for a 30 minute test ride this morning up to the top of a mild hill (12-21 gearing in California? Oh please...) and back. I did a couple of sprints, some stand and sits on the hill, and I came down the hill in full chuff (full chuff == 35 mph or so for a mild hill). I'm a medium size rider, about 5'11 and 180 pounds with a large frame. This frame felt rock solid when I was standing and working it, and it tracked really well coming down the hill. The frame I tested was a bit large for me and not really set up to fit me closely, btw.

My ride this morning confirmed that a Waterford will be my next bike and the factory just happens to have one in my size (57cm) on which the bike shop owner has called dibs on my behalf. This particular frame only has a primer coat at this time, so the next question becomes what color and decals do I want? It will be built with a mixture of Campy Record and Racing Triple components.

Bianchi Veloce (RIP)

[Aug 13, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

Quality construction, attention to detail, and the realization that the quality of "the ride" is the most important bicycle characteristic.

You must be patient if you don't order a stock frame!

I ordered a 64cm frame with a 1 cm top tube extension. I waited for 6 months for the frame to arrive. I still don't know what took so long, but I'm glad I waited.

This bicycle is beautiful and rides like a dream. It is far more comfortable and stable then my previous Titanium bike. It absorbs most of the road vibration while still letting you feel the road between you.

I opted for the Reynolds fork over the Waterford fork for weight savings.

These frames take a while to get, but their history and quality make the wait worthwhile.

LeMond Zurich, Bianchi MegaTi

[Aug 13, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

The ride, repairability of steel

Finish, Bottom bracket flexy

My frameset came with a couple small blems on it. All my friends love these things , I liked the Schwinn History thing. The ride is smooth , however being a clydesdale(#215) crit racer I must say it has very little rigidity in the bottom bracket . I hang with my buds as long as I sit down, stand on it & it goes nowhere. If your a large person order the sprinters tubing or plan on being off the back.
Better yet look at aluminum frames and lead instead of hang.

Simonetti Prestige OS tubing

[Aug 11, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

a sleek nimble bike, superior craftmanship, perfect flex on the rear, that wonderful Waterford quality.

none that i can think of.

First off, i spent alot of time test riding bikes before i commit on buying one because i want one that i will enjoy to ride for a long long time plus the bike needs to be race worthy. most bikes i rode where either one or the other or neither until i test rode a piece of heaven. The 2200 WaterFord is well known among those in the know and i am really thankful to have test rode it. i drove over 260 miles to the nearest bike dealer that carried it and i am so glad i did. My dealer said that i will experiance "the Ride" of my life. i kind of shrug it off thinking to myself 'yeah right'. As i rode it along the bikepath near the store, i felt this feeling that was unbelieveable, the ride was so supple and sweet, i thought this is how a dream bike should feel like. It track really well on turns as a speed faster. I could barely feel any hashness it seems like the bike soaks up all the roughness on the rode and deliver such feelings that make me smile. So i bought at retail price and have not regretted it once.

That was over a year ago since i purchase the bike, and now having put in so many miles, it feels like it was still new. I have did a few 100 miles rides since and i feel so fresh after the rides that wanted to ride back to the starting point. This frame really eats up the bumps and providing me with such an awesome ride. It is the sweetest bike i have ever ridden, i am recommending to my friends to try it out too. The paint job on my 2200 is so beautifully done i can't stop staring at it. I get alot of looks too.

So for all of you who wants a bike that will bring a joy to your life. Go to your nearest dealer and try this bike out. My friend rides a very expensive Lemond bike that he bought last year and after trying my bike for a bit, he told me that "THE RIDE" was so amazing, that he wish he bought the WaterFord instead if he had knowned.

For the value, this bike is worth every penny and then some. 5 flaming corpes for value and experiance.

ibis spanky, lightspeed, soretta csi, trek 5500, de rosa murak