Waterford Precision Cycles 2000 RS-22/Ultegra Older Road Bike

road race & triathlon, Shimano Ultegra Triple components, Waterford fork

[Sep 03, 2015]
CHRIS

OVERALL
Strength:

ROAD AND FELT LIKE HEAVEN

CANT FIND ANY

I WAS A RECREATIONAL RIDER WITH HIGH ABILITY AS I CALFIED FOR BOSTEN MARATHON
I J

IM NOT INTO HIGH MILAGE ANYMORE AND WANT TO SELL THIS LOW MILE WATERFORD 22 WITH ULTEGRA COMPONENTS I WOULD DO A CROSS BIKE TRADE 20 " FRAME.

[May 28, 2012]
jdt

OVERALL
Strength:

I no longer race and was looking for a frame with laid back angles and quality workmanship. This bike is a dream in those regards. It is compliant enough to be comfortable for 3+ hour rides, but stiff enough that I don't notice a lot of BB sway, even when climbing out of the saddle. This is not a crit bike. It is too stable and the steering too slow. But that is also one of its best features. It is one of only two bikes I have ever owned that allowed me to climb with my hands off the bars.

The steel frame and longish wheel base smooth out the road enough that with 700x25 tubulars rough roads are smooth and smooth roads are like riding on rollers.

The paint scheme (with SS lugs) is drop dead gorgeous! If you can stand the wait, the ability to design your bike exactly how you want it is priceless.

This bike is stable to a fault at times. Descending at speed requires a bit of coaxing and you have to pick your lines ahead of time. It does not respond well to sudden changes wile going fast (30+ mph). On the other hand, it NEVER feels twitchy.

This bike is not terribly heavy, but is is not light by todays standards. Mine weighs nearly 19 lbs, but I have the steel fork, an old school crank/BB, quill stem, and Brooks saddle. With a little effort it could be a 17 pounder, but that is probably about the limit.

For me, a bike should inspire me to get out and ride. This bike does exactly that. Every once in a while I am tempted by a 15 lbs carbon fiber bike, but it only takes one ride on my Waterford to put that to rest. Probably the highest praise I could give a bike is that every time I ride my Waterford, I end the ride with the thought that I love this bike!

Someone who appreciates the ride characteristics of steel, appreciates exquisite workmanship, and is looking for a bike well suited for epic long rides should seriously consider the Waterford RS 22.

Racers, esp crit racers should look elsewhere.

Steel Specialized, steel Rossin, Custom steel frame, ti Merckx, aluminum Cannondale, aluminum Merckx, and a few others not worth mentioning.

[Nov 16, 2003]
CMitch46

OVERALL
Strength:

Heron has contracted with Waterford Precision Cycles to build the frames. The frames are lugged and silver brazed in batches. Reynolds and True Temper tubing is used. I've owned 10 road bikes in the past 25 years and nothing compares to a well made steel frame, in terms of an optimum balance between comfort and efficiency. Probably the only material that rivals steel is titanium, but at a significantly higher cost.

The frames come in standard sizes and geometries. No custom sizing is done. For more information, logon to: http://www.heronbicycles.com/

Heron was a brand name originally marketed and sold through Rivendell Bicycle Works. The name and company was recently sold to Todd Kuzma, owner of Tullios Big Dog Cyclery in LaSalle, Illinois.

'99 Schwinn Circuit (Reynolds 853 mainframe) '92 Tommasini Super Prestige (Columbus SLX throughout)

[Apr 24, 2003]
bphilbrick

OVERALL
Strength:

Amazing craftsmanship, outstanding frame (exceptionally compliant ride yet plenty stiff), gorgeous paint job, custom sizing, attention to detail (pump peg, rack braze ons, rear brake cable location, chain hanger are all available otions), the satisfaction of owning a bike that was built specifically for you!

None that I've found (other than the cost) but craftsmanship & quality at this level will cost you and I have no regrets.

Though I only have a 100 miles on it to date, this bike has lived up to all of the hype and expectations I had while shopping around (and I test rode 10 different models). The first thing I noticed about this bike is the level of craftsmanship. The lug brazing and the paint job (mine is candy red with 'classic' silver metallic panels on the seat & down tubes) are like artwork. These things really stand out when you compare them to mass-produced frames. I am a big strong rider at 215 lbs and find the frame is plenty stiff laterally (i.e. no rear triangle or bottom bracket flex noted) yet the ride is so smooth (as compared to my old aluminum GT) that I know that 50-100 mile rides are going to be cake from a comfort standpoint. Credit the Reynolds 853 tubing and OS platinum rear triangle for the compliant ride. I believe that Waterford has made custom fitting a standard item and to me it made all of the difference having a slightly steeper seat tube angle (1 deg) and slightly extended head tube (2 cm). The bike is amazingly stable on fast descents or hammering on a town line sprint yet the steering response at slow speeds and on switchback terrain is lively but not twitchy like some race bikes I demoed. The geometries (notwithstanding my custom changes) are along the lines of classic Italian steel road bikes. This bike is not for the racer or the rider who wants the latest fads (e.g. carbon stays, sloping downtubes, sub-3lb frames); however, if you're looking for a road bike with state of the art tubing, timeless design, incredible attention to detail & flawless craftsmanship you will not find a better ride anywhere!

GT ZR-5000, Trek 1200, Cannondale RS-600, Specialized (cna't remember the model), and several others.

[Dec 04, 2001]
rkoby

OVERALL
Strength:

Fit, finish, tracking all great

This frame style because of it''s more relaxed angles is perhaps not quite as responsive as a racing frame (checkout their 2200).

I have just gotten this bike and have now ridden it several times. It rides extremely smooth and tracks like a gyroscope. It is a real pleasure to ride this bike. My prior bike had more scrunched up racing angles and to be honest, for the fitness riding i am doing now, this is an extremely pleasurable bike to ride. The finish is exquisite. They painted it exactly to my specifications. Electric Dan was the representative and I would highly recommend him to anyone living in the Southern Cal area. He was very detail oriented and delivered. He built the bike with quality components all the way through. Great bike and worth the money.

I have ridden over my life Motobecane, Puegot, UniVega. This is my first custom bike. There is no comparison to an off the shelf model.

[Jul 15, 2000]

OVERALL
Strength:

- Stiff Reynolds 853 tubing
- Beautiful Craftsmanship
- Light for steel
- Stainless lug option

- Long stays
- Funky paint job on this particular bike

I have a 2200 on order (7/25/00 or so delivery date). In the meantime, the LBS owner is letting me use the RS-22 he has built to promote Waterford at No Cal century rides. He hasn't even ridden the bike yet, I am putting the first miles on it. The frame is beautiful and features the stainless lug option. I wish I had $500 to spend for these on my new bike because the workmanship is beautiful. His frame is painted black with holographic flames and this paint job is a little funky for my taste.

I took the bike for a 40 mile ride this morning. Despite the 425mm stays, the frame is stiff when built with 853 tubing. Thanks to the triple, I didn't need to do the stand and sit drill on the main hill (4 miles, 9% average grade with 20% sections) that I climbed on the ride. The bike was solid when I did a couple of sprints and I never felt any flex in the rear end. I let it go down the hills and the bike was so stable that I never had to touch the brakes.

This is not a frame that I would choose for myself. However, for what it is meant to be, this bike performs flawlessly and it is a really sweet ride. I can't wait to get my 2200.

Bianchi Veloce, Waterford 2200