Cannondale 1999 RT1000 Older Tandem Bike

1999 Cannondale RT1000, tandem (road), Tandem Mix components, Cannondale fork

[May 27, 2013]
Ian Seecof

OVERALL
Strength:

Very stable on downhills even over 65 mph. Responsive and able to really lay it into the curves. We still have the original wheels, but replaced them with Bontrager Race Lites. Best ride with Vittoria Evo CX (700x 23c) tires (320 tpi) We have ridden many thousand miles for 13 years and loved every minute. Original XT rear and Ultegra groupo. We could have spent a lot more on higher tech.....but why? Our combined age is 128 and we still book on it.

No status. As a stoker once asked, "What is a Cannondale?" Her captain replied, " it is just a cheap tandem." They had also just remarked that their expensive tandem felt shaky over 45 mph.duh......

We have 20+ bikes in our stable and this is our favorite!

[Mar 05, 2002]
daddio

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff frame and componentry

Seats - These were exchanged after the demo ride. We bought the bike in spite of the seats

The Cannondale is an exceptional value. The ride is very gentle and my wife is very comfortable (very important).

[Nov 27, 2001]
Eric

OVERALL
Strength:

Super stiff Great roominess relatively responsive for a limo-bike cheap, comparatively

stock front wheel taco''d after 1500 miles (Cdale replaced with $600 set of Emgo''s, and replaced our ripped clothing) 1998 model couldn''t use discs, only drum

I''ve got 11 bikes in the garage, and this is by far my fave. Love the sewer tubes, makes the frame stiff as can be.

rode several burleys, they were all noodles

[Apr 26, 1999]
Andy
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

1) Great range of size combinations available.
2) The price per component level ratio is good.
3) This bike is slick--it's a good looker in Pearl White, flex free, and light weight.

1) Dealer utilized used car sales techniques to negotiate price.
2) The front saddle is too rounded, and dealer wouldn't upgrade at cost (he recommended a $100 saddle and then offered $15 credit for the bike's saddle!)
3) Reading the serial number requires disassembly of cable guide from underside of bottom bracket.

This bike is great--it really makes us proud!
Getting a '99 with STI shifters and ergo handlebars was well worth the premium over past model year left overs, used bikes, and some other companies' entry level bikes.
Only the dealer kept it from being a win-win situation.

1) KHS (right size combination not available)
2) Burley (Aluminum not available)
3) Santana

[Sep 15, 1999]
Todd Lawton
Cross-Country Rider

OVERALL
Strength:

1. Extremely stiff frame.
2. Very stable at low speeds.
3. Light weight.

1. Neither my wife or I liked the seats, replaced them with ones we liked more.
2. Difficulty getting a rack to fit the rear of the bike on the Large/Small frame size.

We have really enjoyed riding a tandem, and this bike comes with a great combination of frame and parts for the price.

Several Santanas, DaVinci, Burley. (all road bikes)

[Mar 13, 2000]
Bradley Kriley
Racer

OVERALL
Strength:

Stiff Frame
Strong Wheels
Great Handling

Seats

My RT1000 is actully a 98/99 model it has all 99 parts except for the bar end shifters & LX brakes - the a brakes are sufficient & I wouldn't trade the bar end shifter for anything else on the market (for the tandem) I am 5'7 & I have the smalles size that was available 2 years ago & even with a 80mm stem I am still stretched out for a bike that is suppost to be a touring machine. If I had to spend most of my time on the hoods or on the curve of the bars so I could shift I would have a back ache every time. The bar end shifter allow me to stay perfectly balance on the bike while ripping through the gears faster than any STI made.

This bike as a supper stiff frame but rides like a cadilac - if your thinking you should get a steel tandem for a more compliant ride - test a Cannondale first - the quality of the ride cannot be beat - especially for $1500 - $2000

Nashbar Road Tandem
KHS Mountain Tandem FS
Ventana FS Mountain Tandem

[Aug 21, 2000]
John Royal

OVERALL
Strength:

Great light and stiff frame, intelligent parts spec (no 160mm hubs)

Saddles (CODA), Tires (Conti Top Touring)

When you buy a tandem, you buy it for the frame. And the C-Dale is one of the best tandem frames on the market regardless of cost. I would love to have a Co-Motion, but we didn't even bother to test ride them or Santanas due to the enormous cost. Shopping around led to a great deal on the bike, less than some of my wife's and my singles.

Try to get bar end shifters or if you have to get STI, make sure you get a Flight Deck compatible set-up: it's hard to look down on a tandem to see what set-up you're in.

We switched the tires to Vredestein Fortezzas 700x25mm and the seats and can't be happier. I highly recommend this bike - my wife and I both love it.

Trek

[Oct 13, 2000]
ray

OVERALL
Strength:

Superior frame, better than entry level components, trustworthy wheels and hubs

saddles

Best bang for the buck as far as tandems go. Same frame as the 3000, and 1000 dollars less. Now my wife and I can really ride together. The univega wasnt half the bike, but the others were thousands more. the true test of a relationship, but if you pass its well worth it!! Now there are 6 cannondales in our house. Does this count for 1 or 2?

santana, univega

[Jul 01, 2001]
Mo Miller

OVERALL
Strength:

GREAT value. Excellent Frame and wheels. Very good component spec. Beautiful Green color.

I'm not crazy about the linear pull brakes. Rack mounting requires creativity.

Could have spent twice as much (or more) on a custom tandem but why? With the Cannondale we were able to test ride and compare sizes before we purchased it. We didn't have to wait months to get it and got nearly everything we could wanted in a tandem. The ride quality is excellent. Riding out of the saddle the bike feels solid. Excellent cornering, descending and climbing.

1992 Burley Bongo